Author Topic: Sullivan Family, Ballymena, 19th/20th century  (Read 1341 times)

Offline MattB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sullivan Family, Ballymena, 19th/20th century
« on: Monday 10 March 14 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I know this is a long shot but I'm looking for a Sullivan family in Ballymena. The one name I have is Kitty, who was probably a cousin of Kathleen and Margaret O'Neil, who were born in Greenwich to Patrick O'Neil and Mary Russell and who visited Ballymena at some point.

Kitty married and there were two sons. I think the visit is likely to have been from 1920 - 1960 but may have been slightly earlier.

Grateful for any help that might help me find a needle in this haystack. Would a Sullivan family be listed in electoral roll/phone books?

Thanks

Matt

Follow me on twitter @7oaksww1 or please visit sevenoaksww1.org

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Sullivan Family, Ballymena, 19th/20th century
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Was 'Sullivan' Kitty's married or maiden name? It does not seem to have been overly common in the area. At time of 1911 census, the chap at this record is only 'Sullivan' entry returned for Ballymena electoral division:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Ballymena_No__3_Urban/Larne_Street/118107/

Ireland Civil Index has a Patrick Sullivan birth in Ballymena area in 1916. It also has about 3 pre-1900 Sullivan births in the area and 3 pre-1900 marriages.

A Maggie Sullivan with a Ballymena address, signed the Ulster Declaration in Scotland in 1912 (Port Glasgow area).

Interestingly, modern Electoral Roll indexes at 192.com also seem to have only one Sullivan family in the area.

Have you also considered O'Sullivan?

(hoping this is for your own, personal research, rather than for a paid commission you have)
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline MattB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thanks for your help on this and those tips which I'll follow up.

This is my own maternal line, I have the notes I took when I was 13 from my Grandmother and her sister. Sadly the 40 year old me wishes I'd asked a few more questions.

I think that Sullivan (and I suppose it could be O'Sullivan) was Kitty's married name and that she had possibly died by the time of her cousins visit.

Thanks again

Matt
Follow me on twitter @7oaksww1 or please visit sevenoaksww1.org

Offline spuddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 March 14 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor, Thomas Sullivan from County Antrim born cira 1790.  He emigrated to Canada and settled in Prince Edward Island along with his brother, David Sullivan.  Would love to hear from anybody with those names in their Sullivan ancestry.  Thank you.