Author Topic: Disappearance of Jonathan Calcutt  (Read 4767 times)

Offline cnickless

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never the task of one!
    • View Profile
Disappearance of Jonathan Calcutt
« on: Friday 02 September 11 17:08 BST (UK) »
OK, maybe a new set of eyes will help.

In the 1851 Census for Stourbridge, page 19, on Coventry St., unit number 64 is a family that has what appears to be a surname Calcutt???

Jonathan Calcutt, 45, Linen Draper (master), born Alberbury, Montgomeryshire
Jane Calcutt, 35, born Reading, Berkshire
Jonathan Calcutt, 3, born Northampton, Northamptonshire
Robert Calcutt, 1, born Kensington, Middlesex

Now I can't find any one of these people in the 1861, 1871 census, or even Jonathan in the 1841 anywhere, also can't find anything about births of anyone here in the familysearch databases.  Maybe the spelling of the last name is wrong or something but I have even tried to search using just the first names and the places of birth and again nothing...

I am starting to wonder if something is wrong with this family and names given and places are fake!

Maybe another sleuth will have better luck!
Nickless Family of Stourbridge, Wollaston, Elmbridge, Elmley Lovett, Chaddesley Corbett, Upton Warren, and Bromsgrove (nicklessgenealogy.wordpress.com)
Dalloway Family of Stourbridge and Rock
Tomlinson Family of Stoke St. Milborough, Stone, and Sandon
Beazer Family of Edgbaston and Marshfield
Michie of Perthshire

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Disappearance of Jonathan Calcutt
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 September 11 06:52 BST (UK) »
Try searching the trade directories for where he could have lived either before or after 1851.  I looked at Bentley's Directory for Stourbridge 1841 and he is not in there.  You need to search for a Jonathan C-------- who was a Draper, most Libraries have copies of Trade Directories.

Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline cnickless

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never the task of one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 September 11 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Linell,

Have tried that also, tried 1841, 1850, 1851, 1855...looking for a Draper / Linen Draper as you say Jonathan C.... and nothing there either...this one is a real mystery!  I find the birth structure extremely odd also, the place I mean...

Thanks!
Nickless Family of Stourbridge, Wollaston, Elmbridge, Elmley Lovett, Chaddesley Corbett, Upton Warren, and Bromsgrove (nicklessgenealogy.wordpress.com)
Michie of Perthshire

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 September 11 11:29 BST (UK) »
Oh goodness a real puzzle, could Jonathan Snr of died and his wife Re-Married?  Or did he just change his surname, like they often did back then?  Have you tried the Census just searching for Jonathan with no surname.  The three year old in 1851 may be easier to find in 1861.  Let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes from Linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline Nemo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 September 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
The genuki website explains that Alberbury is mainly in Shropshire
You’ll find transcriptions of  Alberbury registers at
http://melocki.org.uk/salop/Alberbury.html
There is a Jonathan Calcott. Could he be Jonathan Calcutt?  If so he was 10 years older than declared on the 1851 census. He was the son of Robert and Hannah Calcott.
The Jonathan Calcutt you looked at on the 1851 census named one son Jonathan and the other Robert.

HTH
Nemo

Offline cnickless

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never the task of one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 20:15 BST (UK) »
Ah!  I think that is definitely him, so that shows the name to be Calcott.  So thanks for that...now to just see if I can find him in the census...
Michie of Perthshire

Offline Winsley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 May 12 22:33 BST (UK) »
I think we are both searching for the same Jonathan Calcutt although I have always thought his surname was Callcott - also a Draper.   If they are the same person, he had a previous marriage to Clarissa Dixon in 1825 in Wendover, Buckinghamshire.  They had 6 children; Jonathan, Clarissa, Margaret, Dixon, Caroline and Robert.  They moved around alot as from some of the births they were in Tolington, Hertfordshire, and London.  In the 1841 Census I couldn't find Jonathan or his wife but the children were scattered around the extended family.  From a life insurance policy for Jonathan jnr, his mother had died in her 40's so that could explain the census.  I also found a letter written by a Jonathan Callcott to AW Callcott regarding family in the Bodleian library.  It was dated 1843 and Jonathan was living in Shrewsbury, as Draper.  He mentions that his father lived close by in a village but doesn't mention the name and that the family had lived in the surrounding area for hundreds of years - once again no names so very fustrating.
Would like to get in touch and see if we could piece together this puzzle as this family has always interested me.

Tracey

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 May 12 06:01 BST (UK) »
Surnames were spelt in different ways by whoever was doing the form filling, you always need to accept different connotations, don't dismiss someone because their surname is not spelt how you think it should be spelt. 

Linell.

Offline Simon Dixon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 June 14 20:33 BST (UK) »
I am unsure as to assisting regarding Jonathan. However, I do know a fair bit about Clarissa Dixon.

I posted a couple of years back at this page:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=552036.0

Good luck!