Author Topic: Rothwell Marriage  (Read 1999 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Rothwell Marriage
« on: Wednesday 20 August 14 17:33 BST (UK) »
Boyds Marriage Index has a Rothwell marriage in 1674 between John Clegg and Ann Skelton.

Does anyone have access to the Rothwell PRs and could tell me the exact date and if there is any additional information given?

Thanks.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rothwell Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there

The actual entry is shown here in April 1674 - it's in Latin but I think it says the 25th

https://archive.org/stream/registersofparis27roth#page/286/mode/2up

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 18:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Shirl. I hadn't realised Rothwell PRs were on theat website (obviously!).  ::)

I'm assuming "ut q' de" means both of Rothwell.

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 August 14 13:58 BST (UK) »

I'm assuming "ut q' de" means both of Rothwell.

Jill

I think it does mean both of, but my Latin isn't up to much! Enjoy those registers.

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline chopsuey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 August 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillrus
I too have a John Clegg in my tree.  John Clegg was born in the December Q of 1837.  His mother was Sara Clegg (formerly Westmorland) of Rothwell Haigh, Rothwell, West Yorkshire.  Father was William Clegg of Thornhill, West Yorkshire.  Could they be of the same tree do you think?  I am unable to find a marriage to date.
Chopsuey1

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 August 14 01:17 BST (UK) »
The original image is viewable on ancestry.  It's definitely the 25th but I'm not sure what the "shorthand" before the "de" means but probably is "both" of Rothwell.  There are several with the same phrase.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 August 14 11:48 BST (UK) »
The original image is viewable on ancestry.  It's definitely the 25th but I'm not sure what the "shorthand" before the "de" means but probably is "both" of Rothwell.  There are several with the same phrase.

Thanks, smudwhisk.
HELP!!!

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 August 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillrus
I too have a John Clegg in my tree.  John Clegg was born in the December Q of 1837.  His mother was Sara Clegg (formerly Westmorland) of Rothwell Haigh, Rothwell, West Yorkshire.  Father was William Clegg of Thornhill, West Yorkshire.  Could they be of the same tree do you think?  I am unable to find a marriage to date.
Chopsuey1

Hi Chopsuey1,

My Cleggs only enter my tree from a marriage into the North family in 1728. However, that marriage was in Thornhill so it may be that our Cleggs are connected, if you go back far enough! I remember seeing your post asking for help looking for the marriage you mention. I'm afraid I didn't have any luck finding the marriage either.

There was a lot of religious nonconformity in West Yorkshire around this time. Have you checked any nonconformist records for the area?

Jill

HELP!!!

Offline chopsuey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 August 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillrus,
Thanks for that.  I was informed that there were only two churches around at that time, Thornhill (St Michael's) and Rothwell (Holy Trinity), so they were the obvious choices.  All the children were baptised C of E - but anything is worth a try!  Thanks, I'll see what I can find nonconformist.  I did try one at Shepley (possible lead) but was informed that that didn't open until 1848 - marriages from 1850, so no go there.
Sue Marriott (Chopsuey1)