Author Topic: Ecclesfield Marriage 1803  (Read 1028 times)

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ecclesfield Marriage 1803
« on: Monday 06 October 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
There is a transcribed record on @ncestry with reference FHL 1469716, Vol C for the marriage of Thomas Cowlishaw and Elizabeth Bowles on 2 Aug 1803 in Ecclesfield. The transcription indicates that the grooms age was 40 which I can't make fit with anything else I know about Thomas.
I'd be very grateful if someone having access to marriage records for Ecclesfield could check this out please.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ecclesfield Marriage 1803
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 October 14 18:39 BST (UK) »
The FS entry appears to support his age.  Quite unusual to see an actual age on a marriage record for that period

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NXCN-8PP
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
Could you give more detail of what else you know about Thomas Cowlishaw and what causes you to think it does not fit your research. The age on bond allegations of intent to marry 1803 and death ages also the 1841 c approx age within 5 years -Its not uncommon to find variants of age of the same person. Lies told at marriage to impress bride to be, the person who report a death not knowing the actual true age of the deceased as fact. Baptisms can be a few years after the birth year as some families used block baptised a few siblings kids of different ages on the same day/year

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Tuppie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Arnold Ridge Lee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 October 14 11:13 BST (UK) »
The Sheffield and District FHS transcriptions for Ecclesfield St Mary marriages gives the following information.

2 August 1803. THomas COWLISHAW of Langwith, parish of Cuckney, Co. Notts and Elizabeth BOWLES by license.

The marriage license  gives Elizabeth's age as 30 and Thomas aged 43.

Angela
LEE, ROSE, Mosborough/Eckington<br />TREWEEK, HARDWICK.Cornwall/Derbyshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
www.sheffieldindexers.com

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 October 14 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks all of you. The information regarding his parish (and confirmation of age) tells me that he is a different Thomas to the one I had assumed married Elizabeth Bowles.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire