Author Topic: Hourihane Family West Cork  (Read 19252 times)

Offline hourihane

• RootsChat Member
  • Wynston of Tre-Wyn
    • View Profile
Hourihane Family West Cork
« on: Tuesday 25 October 05 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
  Iv'e been trying to trace were in West Cork my G-Grandfather John Hourihane b1831 in Cork came from but without much success. I visited Skibbereen in August 2004 but was unable to find out anything.  I send email to anyone on the Internet with the name Hourihane most reply but cannot help. I have also sent out 26 self-addressed envelopes to Hourihane addresses in west cork, which I found in the local phone book but only received 4 replies. They kept saying in the letters that the Hourihane family was a small group of family’s but it seems strange to me that no one has any ancestors who moved to Newport S.Wales.Can anyone think of any other way I can find information about my family?

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HOURIHANE FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 13:40 BST (UK) »
It is not very common name?? I saw the census returns for 1891 on www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for England - the Hourihane lived in Somerset.

Try to look at www.ancestry.com - simply type the Houricane and there is a list to choose from -  I saw Irish Obituary one of them - may connect with yours.

Good luck!
Gallop / Gallop of Mid & East Dorset & Bournemouth area
Grubheam of Herefordshire
Luker of Abingdon, Berkshire & Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Dwight of Middlesex & London

Offline hourihane

• RootsChat Member
  • Wynston of Tre-Wyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Thanks for your reply I’ve had postings on  www.ancestry.com for two years without any luck . I’ve found all my family In the U K  the problem is finding the West Cork connection.
                  Mike

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 17:08 BST (UK) »
Mike,

When did they come over to UK?
If they appear on any census doesn't it say where they came from.

Have you seen this page - linked through Genuki.
http://tiara.ie/cork.html

I visted Skibereen as part of our Irish hols, last year- absolutely loved it.
My inlaws were from Co Clare. I did go talk to a priest in Buttevant and find loads of ancestry stuff for a friend.Once you do find where they were from it's a good idea to talk to the local priest.

What about the Irish BMD indexes available at any LDS site?
And I presume you've tried the IGI on http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

If I think of anything else to suggest I'll be back  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 October 05 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again Mike

Just had another thought  ;D there are 54 Hourihane's on Genes Reunited.
See http://www.GenesReunited.co.uk
Suggest you mail some of them and see if there's a connection anywhere,as obviously they are all interested in tracing ancestors.

Once you are able to give us some christian names and dates,maybe one of us will be able to find something for you .

All the best

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hourihane

• RootsChat Member
  • Wynston of Tre-Wyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 October 05 10:58 BST (UK) »
 Thanks for your advice about my G Grandfather John Hourihane  .The only information I have is from the 3 censes which only says Co Cork Ireland. And from his marriage certificate from 1850, which gives his fathers, name as Denis.
  John Hourihane was born 1831 County Cork Ireland his father was Denis Hourihane.
 John moved to Newport South Wales, he married Bridget Collins (born Ireland 1835 fathers name Timothy Collins) in St Woolas Church Newport South Wales on 1st December 1850. All there children were  born in Newport South Wales.
Michael  born 1852
Denis  born 1853
Jeremiah  born 1855
John born 1859
Timothy  born 1861
James  born 1864
Thomas  born 1867
John born 1869
Mary Ellen born 1871

This is all the info I have
              Mike

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 November 05 10:30 GMT (UK) »
In the Griffith Valuation there was only one family Hourihane in Co Cork, Timothy in Reen Myross. But before you get too excited, Hourihane strokes me as a name with a number of alternative spellings.

Hourahane Jeremiah in Cousane Kilmocomoge and Timothy in Kilnagospagh Caheragh.

Lots of Hourahan in Kilgarriff, Ightermurragh, Fanlobbus, Kilmeen, Kilmichael, Kilmocomoge, Dromdaleague, Dangandonovan, Creagh, Caheragh, Kilmurry, Shandrum,Skull, Youghal, Templemartin, St Annes Shandon, Brigown, Ballyoughtera, Ballymodan and Kinneigh.

Most in Cahergah.

Some of these are in the diocese of Cloyne so the catholic (were they catholic?) records are closed to researchers and you have to pay Mallow Heritage centre for a search of their records. May be worth a try.

The others are the Diocese of Cork and Ross and need to be searched individually.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline cpj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hourihane Family West Cork
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I am related to a number of Hourihane families in West Cork. Did you see an old message at Genealogy.com about a later John Hourihan?

"Matt in my list of Hourihans I have John Hourihan born Nov. 1861 to Jeremiah Hourihan
and Mary Hurly, New Road, Dunmanway this John
went to South Wales later, are you connected JohnFH in Dublin
Johnfh@indigo.ie "

http://genforum.genealogy.com/hourihan/messages/176.html

I know that John had a stroke a few years back, so sadly is probably contactable any more.

Online valerie kehoe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hourihane Family West Cork
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 February 11 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike ...I think we've been in contact before (?) ...a few years back (?)  re my 'Hourihan-O'Brien's.

The 'John Hourihan' just mentioned above (of Dublin) was actually a descendant of a 'Hourihan-O'Brien'.  He had an ancestor's birth certificate showing same ....  yet his parents had only used 'Hourihan'.   My cousin actually met 'John H' in Dublin ....a few years back now ...and we have a copy of his relative's cert ..... 'Timothy Hourihane O'Brien'.   (I heard too that John was in ill-health.)

Valerie (WAus)

Lond.//Kent/Surrey  Bryan  
Cork (Dunmanway) O'Brien
London//Lambeth    Small   Muggeridge 
L'pool /Preston.       Kehoe  McDonough  Coupe  
Suffolk                     Rowe   Mortimer   Mowle