Author Topic: Burrowes/Kennedy  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Tracey47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information
    • View Profile
Burrowes/Kennedy
« on: Wednesday 19 February 14 04:48 GMT (UK) »
I have the marriage information for my great grandparents, both born in Cork, Ireland. On this info, both of their fathers are listed, but, not their mothers.  Is there a way I can find out who the mother's were? 

Great Grandfather-William Richard Burrowes, born c1837, father is Daniel Burrowes.
Married:  Jane Kennedy, born c.1846, Cork, Ireland, father is Thomas Kennedy.
   The marriage took place on 10/14/1860, St. Ann Shandon's, Cork, Ireland.

I have William's Death Information, Jane moved to the US in 1904 and I have her info from the 1901 Cork Census.  I do not have any information of Jane's birth in Cork, Ireland.

It would really help to have either or both William and Jane's mother's names so I can go further into their history.

Thanks!
Tracey
Burrowes/Kennedy/Dwyer/Nevins

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burrowes/Kennedy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Both William & Jane were born before the start of civil registration so you'd need to see if church baptismal records survive but they might just show mother's Christian name.

When and where did Jane die in America? most U.S. states list names of both parents on death certificates so you may get clues on her death certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tracey47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 February 14 22:56 GMT (UK) »
I am still unsure where she died in the States.  I know that she was living in New Jersey in the 1920's.  She had remarried a man named James Cheney in 1910.  I am headed to NJ in March to do some research, so, any I am going to try and find a death certificate for her then.  I have tried to contact St. Ann Shandon's Church in Cork to find out if I can apply for the original license for her and her first husband William Richard Burrowes.  They were married there in 1860.  I haven't received a response from them. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Tracey Nichols
Wyoming, USA

Offline Tracey47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 February 14 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I have another question, my Great Grandfather, William Richard Burrowes, died August 10, 1900, in the City of Cork, District 1, at 63 yrs of age. At the time of his passing he was listed as a Sexton, Death was registered on August 11, 1900.  I would love to be able to find out where he was buried or if he was buried?  Suggestions?  His son John Burrowes was the informant on his death.  William was married to Jane Kennedy Burrowes at the time.  Also, where might I find any newspaper info on his death?  They were living at 3 Military Road at the time of his death.

Thanks!

Tracey

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 February 14 17:40 GMT (UK) »
The 1926 Harrison, Kearny, East Newark, Arlington, and North Arlington, New Jersey city directory lists Cheney, Jane, widow of James H., home 595 Devon, Arlington.  The 1927 city directory for the same towns says Jane Cheney died Apr. 13, 1926 at age 76.

Offline Tracey47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 February 14 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information on Jane Cheney's death.  I tried looking up the City Director for the areas in Newark that you mentioned.  Can you send me the link that you found this info on.  I would really appreciate it.  I am also finding trouble finding out where she might have been buried.  Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Tracey

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 February 14 23:17 GMT (UK) »
It's on a subscription site.  I no longer have the exact page as I scrolled through the directories to find the page and have since closed the page.