Author Topic: Stephenson Family - Newcastle upon Tyne - Mid-1800s -  (Read 21580 times)

Offline Mark Stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stephenson Family - Newcastle upon Tyne - Mid-1800s -
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 09 January 14 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Gadget:

I am missing something here.

The 1990 "Steavinson" Census summary by FamilySearch doesn't mention number of children and the image they attach has only John Steavinson, head of household, as the last entry on the page.  I do not see a following page that lists the rest.  I am not finding the next page.

And seven children would be interesting.  My information is that they were married in Old St. Mary's and later moved to St. Francis X.  Could there be a burial record coming out of Old St. Mary's for the 7th child?  I'll have to check.

Mark

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 09 January 14 14:22 GMT (UK) »
HI Mark

if you can send me a private message (PM) by clicking on the little green scroll under my avatar with your e-mail, I can send you the page.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mark Stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 09 January 14 16:31 GMT (UK) »
The "Steavinson" 1990 census contains more than one riddle.

2521 Perot does not exist and never did. Perot Street runs east/west and stops at 25th Street.  It has no 2500 block of houses.  When you reach the intersection of Perot and 25th, you can turn left and walk about 50 feet and reach the 2500 block of Olive Street.  If you turn right, you walk about 100 feet and you reach the 2500 block of Meredith Street. 

The census taker switched Perot for Olive. The top of the page on which John Stephenson appears contains houses from the 2500 block of Meredith so our census taker didn't make that mistake.  If you look at the intersection on Google Maps, you can see that Perot and Olive are not far off-line from each other, and he may have thought Olive ended and Perot continued.  Ordinarily we would never know because in the construction of a new building, most of the 2500 block of Olive Street was demolished.  But Mary Spearing Stephenson died at 2512 Olive Street in 1908.  And John died at 2518 Meredith in 1924.  Walk up 25th Street to Aspen, turn left and walk another block and you reach Richard and Rose Stephenson's house at 2615 Aspen Street.

So now we can confirm ...   

1.  The 1900 census entry is for John and Mary Spearing Stephenson, Sr.
2.  The correct address is 2521 Olive Street, where Mary would die eight years later.
3.  The Stephensons had seven children - four survived, two died and one is unaccounted for.
4.  The 1900 census entry that John was born in May 1845 may be the most reliable.

At this point, it seems to me that the only thing missing are facts concerning John and Mary's immigration.  We have basis to believe he arrived in 1866 from Ireland, and that she arrived from Ireland but we don't have a date.  Nor do we have a port of entry.  I believe I saw an naturalization for John.  It may be part of the Ancestry Stephenson tree.  But the naturalization papers I've seen from that era merely contain the affirmation of the applicant to be naturalized.  I haven't seen an application that contains details.  Do you know of a source in the immigration process circa 1866 that would capture details?  As you may have seen, I am now working with the Irish Spearing/Sparing family forum.  That provokes another interesting question.  Either Radcliff or Heywood pointed out that Stephenson is not a common name in Limerick but has been there for 300 years.  Apparently Spearing/Sparing is very common.  What if John and Mary knew each other from Limerick?  They were just under two years apart in age.  Finding one in Limerick might target where to look for the other.  According to the 1900 census, they were married in 1870.  He was age 25 and she was age 23.  Sounds right.

Again, thanks for all your interest, help and guidance in piecing together this puzzle.

Mark

With whatever we get from that, it looks like its time to virtually visit Newcastle West.  Thoughts?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 09 January 14 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark and welcome  :)

It does look as though you need to be on the Limerick board as Gadget suggests. I will ask a moderator to look and decide.

Griffiths Valuation was taken about 1850s and shows a couple of Stephensons in that area.
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/limerick/newcastle.php

Family Search https://familysearch.org/search also shows Stephensons in the area.
Civil registration of births did not begin until 1864 so you would be looking at Parish records for a baptism which can be a bit hit and miss.

If you had his father's details from USA records it would help.

regards

heywood

Hello Mark,
Here is my little contribution regarding the Stephenson name in Newcastle West area around 1850s.Searhing Griffiths may show Spearings and Stephensons in other areas.
I just want to compliment Aghadowey and Gadget on their sterling work here. It is lovely to see the development unfold.  :)
Good luck with your further searches
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mark Stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 09 January 14 17:47 GMT (UK) »
And thank you, Heywood, for your contribution.  It's been the target that I'm shooting for.  With the new information that Aghadowey and Gadget found, I may be on my way.  Thanks all.  Any suggestions are most welcome.

Mark