Author Topic: Mullingar Workhouse  (Read 6393 times)

Offline rbusch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mullingar Workhouse
« on: Thursday 15 August 13 10:51 BST (UK) »
i am wondering if there are any remaining records of workhouse inmates at Mullingar in the mid 1800's. My great great grandmother was one of them and was sent to Sydney aboard the "Tippoo Saib" in 1850.
Rosalie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mullingar Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 August 13 11:00 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

At the top of this board there's a stickied topic WESTMEATH RESOURCES and if you scroll down there it has a link for Workhouses- according to that site, "Westmeath County Library HQ, Dublin Road, Mullingar. Many records have restricted access. Please contact the Archives department before visiting to discuss your query. Holdings include: Guardians minutes (October 1857 - July 1921); Daily diet book (1857-58); Porter’s books (1858-9, 1868-9); Diet class book (1862-3); Clothing receipt book (1863-6 on microfilm); Cream account book (1867-8 on microfilm); Weekly relief list and abstract for half year ending 25 March 1879."
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Mullingar/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rbusch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 August 13 07:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you but I need records going back to the late 1840's as that's when Eliza and Mary Jane Walsh would have been in the workhouse.
Rosalie

Offline susanoleary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 January 20 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rosalie
I have just joined Rootschat and I'm trying to find information about my Great Great Grandmother Mary Jane Walsh and her sister Eliza Walsh, who were both nursemaids at the Mullingar workhouse before they emigrated to Australia aboard the Tippoo Saib in 1850.  I was wondering if your GG Grandmother was Mary Jane or Eliza? I have information about Mary's life in Australia but haven't been successful in my search for information relating to Eliza.
Warm Regards
Susan
Kearney, Burley, Hetherton, Harper, Lindupp, Hards, Walsh, Lindupp, McNish, Thompson, O'Leary, Anderson, Griffiths, Holland

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 January 20 09:37 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Susan  :)

Rbusch (Rosalie) hasn't been on RootsChat since September 2013 but if her email hasn't changed, she will get notification of your post and will hopefully return.

In the meantime, if you make at least one more post (just say Hi, Hello etc), you can use the Personal Message (PM) system for the exchange of personal data, such as e-mail address, with rbusch.

Have a look at this help page: https://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline susanoleary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 January 20 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you KG.  Hopefully I can eventually make contact with Rbusch (Rosalie). There are other descendants of Mary and Eliza Walsh who would love to know about their life before and after they left Ireland. Regards
Sue
Kearney, Burley, Hetherton, Harper, Lindupp, Hards, Walsh, Lindupp, McNish, Thompson, O'Leary, Anderson, Griffiths, Holland

Offline rbusch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Dear Susan,
I have seen your request for more information about Eliza Walsh. It now seems that your Eliza and mine are different people. Following further research I am now thinking my Eliza came from County Offaly - (she was on the Tippoo Saib with Eliza and Mary Jane). This I cannot confirm but other bits of information have lead me to this conclusion. I met with a lady from Victoria who is a descendant of Mary Jane and she assures me that her sister Eliza is not my Eliza. Sometimes research can become very confusing and frustrating! If I have any other leads that will prove me wrong I will let you know.
My Eliza (also my gg grandmother) remained in Sydney and after a disastrous marriage to my gg grandfather became destitute. Mary Jane married and lived for a time on the goldfields in Victoria. If they were sisters one would wonder why Eliza didn't accompany her sister to Victoria. Regards, Rosalie Busch

Offline susanoleary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rosalie
Thanks for getting back to me.  I really hoped I had at last tracked down Mary Jane's sister, Eliza.  You probably connected with a cousin of mine who has been researching the family as well.  Our Eliza has proven difficult to track and we don't believe she followed Mary to the goldfields in Victoria although you would think she would.  I've spent hours and hours of research trying to find her which included ruling out your GG Grandmother, Eliza whose marriage was disastrous as you say. It was very sad reading the newspaper reports about her.
Thank you again and I would love to hear back if you ever do find anything about my Eliza Walsh. :)
Regards
Susan

Offline rbusch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 February 20 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Dear Susan,
Hello again. I am guessing you have the following information regarding your Mary Walsh. She was baptized in the parish of Rochfortbridge in the Diocese of Meath on 29/7/1835. She was married to Henry Lindupp at St. Phillips Church in Sydney in 1853 and Eliza was a witness. Both girls surnames were transcribed as Welsh.
This is proof that it wasn't my Eliza as she had married John Howarth in 1851 so would no longer be Walsh.
Yes my gg grandmother had a very 'unfortunate' life and my great grandmother, Sarah, one of her 7 children, gave birth to my grandfather illegitimately which probably points to a rather unstable upbringing.
Kind regards,
Rosalie