Author Topic: Duffy, Dundalk  (Read 11882 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Duffy, Dundalk
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I dont see William on the 1911 Irish census but his parents and several sibling appear in Rathgar in Dublin's south suburbs (their previous address at Upr. Gardiner St. is in north Dublin City centre) :

Ingham household, Grosvenor_Road
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 17:08 GMT (UK) »
marriage of William's parents

Marriage of Joseph Daniel Ingham & Monica Power - 27 August 1873 
  Parish : St. Michan, RC Dublin city

Residence for William at the time of marriage is 6 Fitzgibbon St., and his parents as John Ingham & Susan. Monica's residence is 71 Eccles St., and her parents Patrick Power & Elizabeth. Witnesss to the marriage are Joseph Nolan and Josephine Power.

Duffy is a much more common surname than Ingham and parish records for Co. Louth are not online on a free site as they are for Dublin city, which is why I asked about further details on Brigid.. e.g. marriage and death certs... otherwise we could end up tracing the wrong Duffy line..
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline christinethomast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks you very much for all this help!William's family is pretty well documented in www.goosefamily.org - but this additional info is great.  I am continuing to search for a marriage certificate - the marriage date helps but I find nothing on the LDS site and nothing yet on Ancestry.  I actually do have their wedding photo...very stern.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 17:28 GMT (UK) »
I think you will need to order a cert to see the full details for a marriage. Think you can use the references from the ItalianGen website - but not sure exactly how you do that for Manhattan records. Might be worth posting a question on the US board here on RootsChat to ask...

My Surname Interests

Offline christinethomast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I sent a message on the Italian site - but will also keep searching and post anything I find.  Again, thanks!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I dont think the ItalianGen website has actual records, just the index. They have a link to this NYC Dept. of records page with details on ordering certs :

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/marriage.shtml

My Surname Interests

Offline christinethomast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Ordered!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 10:52 GMT (UK) »
christinethomast sent details of the marriage cert for William Aloysius Ingham and Brigid Theresa Duffy, which shows Brigid's parents as Thomas Duffy and Brigid McArdle.

This appears to be the family in 1901 in Carrickacloghan townland - with Bridget age 8, her mother & father and 8 brothers and sisters.

Duffy household, Carrickacloghan - 1901

and ten years later - without Bridget : Duffy household, 1901

All the family are listed as born Co. Louth. The parents are listed as married 18 years at the time of the 1911 census - so about 1893, although not sure if this adds up, as eldest child on the 1911 census is age 21, and 13 on the 1901 return (so born c1888)

There's an extracted birth with parents Thomas Duffy and Brigid McArdle in the same area, but in 1874, which is a bit early unless the ages for the parents are under-estimated - see Mary Duffy 1874

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I think the ages for Bridget snr., may be under reported on the census returns unless she was very young at the time of marriage. There's a possible marriage cross-match for Thomas and Bridget in 1873 - so just before that extracted birth.

Name: Thomas Duffy
  Registration district: Dundalk
  Event type: Marriage
  Year: 1873
  Volume: 7 / Page: 705

A Bridget McArdle appears on the same page, so a possible bride to this Thomas.

Shane
My Surname Interests