Author Topic: Barford St Michael  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Ann Hook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barford St Michael
« on: Wednesday 09 July 14 11:23 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to put together some family trees of some old Barford families and would very much like some help. I am particularly interested in the Bates, Harris, Hiorns (Irons), Timms, Murrey and Owen.
I grew up in the village and still live fairly close. These families feature on a lot of the old deeds of various properties around the village. I have a copy of a Power of Attorney for Mr William Thomas Owen dated 9th July 1873. He was living in Asheville, North Carolina and was selling a property in Barford St Michael, after the death of his sister Mary  Ann Owen. I have not been able to discover who his father was or link him to any of my Owen Trees.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Barford St Michael
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 July 14 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hello, and wlelcome to RootsChat!

If you haven't already done so, a good way to make surname connections with other members is to enter your surname interests in the Surname Interests Table (SIT), and to check there whether others are researching these names. 

This can be found at http://surname.rootschat.com/ , there is a link to it under "Your Tools" at the bottom of each Rootschat page.

The more people who enter their surnames, the more chance there will be of making a connection!

I will move this thread to the Oxfordshire board where it may find more local interest.
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 July 14 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
I am a descendant of the Timms family from Barford St. Michael.   My Grandmother was Elizabeth Mary Timms b. 1876 at Bodicote.   My G Grandfather was William Timms b. 1828 at Barford St. Michael, son of Nathaniel and Dinah Timms (nee Flanagan).   They lived in Horn Street, Barford St. Michael.

I look forward to hearing further from you.

Jan
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline Ann Hook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 July 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan 

I would be very interested to compare trees as I have found several Tims/Timms families in Barford St Michael. I have a William Hucknell Tims born around 1776 who married Susanna Owen. They had children John, Joseph, Thomas Owen 1826, William Owen 1827, Susanna 1829, Elizabeth 1831 and James Owen Tims 1918. This family had connections with Barford House which is on the corner of Horn Hill and High Street.

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 July 14 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,
I was in Barford St. Michael in 2010, (we live in Australia) and saw that grave of William & Susanna, have a photograph of such, I think.   I am not sure that they belong to my side of the family, will have to dig out all of my information, and get back to you .

Yes, got some lovely photos of Horn Hill as well, got to prompt my memory on whether I saw Barford House though, probably didn't know about it.     Beautiful little village.

Will check my tree, but I know we go back to a lot Martin Timms.

jan
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 16:02 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this is William Thomas Owen's burial - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=47955592&ref=acom

If so, he was married in North Carolina in 1879 - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FZYJ-T79

This may be him in the 1880 census - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MC68-1DD

A possible death certificate with parents' names listed - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F388-HQY

Offline Ann Hook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 July 14 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this additional information concerning William Thomas Owen.  On checking the 1861 England Census it would appear he was a student and living at Churchill near Chipping Norton. He was born at Louis Weedon, Northants.
The 1861 Census shows his father James Owen born 1799, born Lower Worton living at Little Tew. His sister Mary Ann Owen born 1835 Lois Weedon is living there also.
I wonder when he went out to North Carolina and why.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 July 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
You're welcome.  There is a searchable registry of deeds in that county in North Carolina that has a few possible hits for William - http://registerofdeeds.buncombecounty.org/external/LandRecords/protected/v4/SrchName.aspx  Some are under William T. Owen, and one is under Wm. Thos. Owens.