Author Topic: O'Briens of Kilcara/Kilmorna/Duagh/Abbeyfeale  (Read 7245 times)

Offline tinker1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Briens of Kilcara/Kilmorna/Duagh/Abbeyfeale
« on: Wednesday 15 June 11 21:15 BST (UK) »
Can anybody can assist with my O'Brien family tree? My O'Briens were Tinsmen(Tinkers) and travelled throughout Kerry but seemed to live in the Duagh/Abbeyfeale area. Perhaps you are related or know some of the characters? Honestly any info would be appreciated.
John O’Brien born abt 1843 in Kerry died 1920/30’s Kilcarra More nr Duagh buried Listowel married Honoria(Nora) Coffey abt 1875 - 1881 who was born abt 1851 in Kerry and died 1920/30’s Kilcarra More buried  Listowel. The 1911 cen shows that they had produced 10 children with 8 surviving John had numerous siblings. Two of his sons Richard and Timothy were killed in May 1915 in France/Flanders. They were privates in the 2nd Batt Royal Munster Fuseliers. Richard was married to Nora and his war record lists his birthplace as Lyreacrumpane with a contact address of Kilcara Duagh Kilmorna.Both bros are listed on the memorial at Le Touret France. Other known bros were Patrick, John(Sean) and Thomas.
Thomas born abt 1882 in Kerry and died 1952 in Tralee and was buried in Listowel. He married Bridget abt 1905 and buried in Listowel abt 1964 - 68. Bridget was known as Black Breda due to her dark hair.These were my grandparents.The 1911 cen shows that they had produced 3 children with 1 surviving (James born abt 1908) After 1911 Thomas & Bridget produced
1) Richard O’Brien abt 1920 – 1968 died in Limerick (my natural father) co-habited with Ellen (Nellie) O’Donoghue (Odun-o-who) b 1924 Charleville Co Cork died 1995 Battersea London (my mother)
 Children: Richard (me) b 1943 Dungarven Waterford, Bridget b 1945 Croom d 2010 Sydenham London and Katrina(spelling) b & d 1947 bur Abbeyfeale
2) Nora d 1978? bur Listowel mar Michael O’Brien bur Listowel
Children: Michael and Margaret
3) Bridget mar Patrick Coffey
4) Thomas
5) Teige(Timothy))
6) Thomas
7) Michael
8) John (alive 1984) mar Katie O’Brien
Children: Philomena, Thomas and Margaret
Patrick had 2 known sons Sean and Paddy. Sean in turn had 4 boys and 8 girls.No info on Paddy’s or Sean's children.
regards
Dick O'Brien

Offline GAJM1

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: O'Briens of Kilcara/Kilmorna/Duagh/Abbeyfeale
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 11 13:43 BST (UK) »
One possible marriage for John O'Brien

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/c0bf561988730

Castlemcauliffe

Offline jfsny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 11 06:40 BST (UK) »
I am related to O'Briens from Purt, in that general area & my grandfather, not an O'Brien, lived in Lyreacrompane.  My mother grew up near Abbeyfeale.  They were all farmers & not travelers, but whenever I find someone from that area, they are usually distantly related. I don't have your O'Briens in my tree, but I'll see what I can come up with.  If they were travellers, perhap they didn't have roots in that area, but settled there when traveling through?

Offline jfsny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 July 11 07:02 BST (UK) »

Offline jfsny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 July 11 07:13 BST (UK) »
PS my mother also  pronounced O'Donoghue as Odun-o-who -- I always thought she was mispronouncing it!  We would not pronounce it that way here in the USA!  :)

Offline Dulaigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 July 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
Paddy O'Brien was a tin smith and travelled  round Knocknagoshel perhaps twice a year making tin cups from Lyles Golden Syrup Tins. He could do bits of Soldering as well. He stayed in local houses during his journey if the weather was inclement.I remember him well in the 40's and 50's. Today they would call him a solitary. God be with the days.
There was another O'Brien in the late 1800's who ran off with a local woman. to Australia they went, I think.

Offline tinker1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 00:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all the info. I believe that all the O'Briens listed are my relatives. They often marr 1st cousins the Coffeys and other O'Brien cousins. My Duagh line are close relatives of the Newcastle West O'Brien/McCarthy/Coffey family - who are also Tinsmiths.
The family stronghold was Tralee though many of my line were buried in Listowel. They spread throughout Kerry and into Limerick but have settled in Kilmorna/Duagh since at least 1911.Each generation had about 10 offspring with each having the same first names with many marrying Coffeys or O'Briens! Confusing!
The John and Honora Coffey marr at Glen Flesk would certainly appear to be relatives but not the parents of all those listed and must mean that there is a 2nd John/Honora who would be my direct anc - due to Honora's age in the 1911 cens and the bpt dates of some of the children.
Recently I posted a request for info on  the Lyreacompane website and was advised that "Black Breda" my grandmother (so called because of her black hair) was known locally as "Black Biddy" and that Joe Harrington had written a song about her which has been recorded by The Maids of Erin. We are  going to Ireland on 10th July and hope to get a copy. My mother always said that I have more O'Brien relatives in the USA than Ireland (New York Boston San Francisco) but as yet I have been unable to identify them 

Offline breenbyrne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi tinker1,
I'm originally from Abbeyfeale and know that the O'Briens and Coffeys are settled Travellers living in in the town.  There is some inter-marrying between the extended families so would be related back through the generations. 
Have you found any further information on your own Family Tree?
Let me know if there is any info I can help with.
Brady - Rathmines & Terenure, Dublin
Breen - Laois
Byrne - Rathmines, Dublin
Griffin - Listowel, Kerry, Wales & USA
Hall - Rathfarnham, Dublin
Hegarty - Listowel, Kerry
Hickey - Listowel, Kerry and poss USA
Kennedy - Terenure & Rathmines, Dublin & Dunlavin, Co Wicklow
McKenna - Laois
Quill - Listowel, Kerry
Shepherd -Warrington, UK
Green - Warrington, UK