Author Topic: Charles Willmore Kennedy - Surveyor of Taxes  (Read 1937 times)

Offline DebGlaze

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Willmore Kennedy - Surveyor of Taxes
« on: Wednesday 13 March 13 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I am confused. Looking for burial place of my Gt Gt Grandfather Charles Willmore Kennedy who died in Lower Newtown, Waterford on 29 May 1884. He worked for the Inland Revenue Excise Dept.

Death Certificate has no residence address. His daughter was born in Blennerville, Tralee in 1882 and he is listed in the Thom's Irish Almanac & Official Directory for 1884 as Surveyor of Taxes for the town of Tralee.

I can find no record of his burial in Waterford. Maybe he died while visiting there and was taken back to Tralee, but I can find no burial records on the Kerry database either.

Any ideas of where I might go with this would be much appreciated.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Willmore Kennedy - Surveyor of Taxes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Very few of the burial records on the Kerry burial website go back before 1900 - e.g. those for Annagh graveyard, near Blennerville, start in 1904.

Have you checked for a death notice in local Waterford and/or Tralee newspapers ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline DebGlaze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks S

I have searched the British Newspaper Archives, but not the local Waterford or Tralee ones, as I wouldn't know how to go about doing this. Were there any that go back as far as the late 1800's?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 15:28 GMT (UK) »
There certainly were newspapers being published in both Waterford and Kerry, but dont know of any online at the moment. The IrishNewspaper archives pay-website has quite a few old newspapers but nothing for Waterford that I see. They do have the 'Kerryman' newspaper but it only started in 1904.

Burials are often very difficult to locate, especially for people that moved around. Very few RC parishes kept records of deaths or burials, so you are often dependent on a newspaper death notice, if the family placed one, or a lucky find with a headstone transcription - if they could afford one, and it survives.

The National Library in Dublin has a big collection of historic newspapers on microfilm and in binders, but not available online.

p.s. just spotted that that website site does have one newspaper published in Waterford city, the Munster Express, but only stared in 1908.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline DebGlaze

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 15:38 GMT (UK) »
He was RC so that throws some light on why he is so difficult to find! I have no doubt the family could afford a headstone and/or obituary and it seems odd that the Inland Revenue wouldn't have mentioned his death somewhere in the British newspapers as they recorded his postings here and there.

Many thanks for your help
Deb

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 15:41 GMT (UK) »
If he was employed as a Surveyor of Taxes at the time of his death, there might be a mention in a National paper of record like the Irish Times, which was based in Dublin. It started publishing in 1859, and they have their archives on a pay-website. Some of the older scans are not very clear, especially articles toward the edges, so some articles can be difficult to locate in searches.

Shane
My Surname Interests