Author Topic: Mary Ann Gloster and Gloster Family in Kerry  (Read 6931 times)

Offline ianash1963

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Gloster and Gloster Family in Kerry
« on: Saturday 21 December 13 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

I am trying to trace the parents of Mary GLOSTER, born abt 1825 in Kerry.
She emigrated in 1841 to Australia (Melbourne) on the 'Agricola'. In 1844 she married Henry BRICE.

All I have about her parents is that her father was named Thomas (from her death certificate). I have not had much luck on Roots Ireland.

Any help much appreciated.

regards

Ian A

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Gloster and Gloster Family in Kerry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 December 13 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Roots Ireland dont include any Co. Kerry records, but the free IrishGenealogy website does.

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie

there are several Church of Ireland and Catholic Gloster records shown, but without knowing which parish in Co. Kerry this Mary came from it's difficult to be know if records for their parish are available back to 1825

Offline ianash1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 December 13 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks athacliath62, I'll check it out.
Cheers
Ian A

Offline Caitliona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 May 14 09:07 BST (UK) »
Re Mary Ann Gloster and Gloster family in Kerry: there was a James Gloster, schoolteacher in west Kerry, listed in Fr. Casey's parish census of 1834/5. He appears to have taught at 2 or 3 places on the Dingle peninsula, first as a Catholic and then as a convert to the Church of Ireland. I know that he had a son called Thomas who became a Protestant minister and served in Co. Clare but mostly in Co. Cork. There were also 2 or 3 other sons and a daughter called Ellen who married Padraig de Lóndra of Ventry. They settled in Dún Chaoin. I found a Thomas Gloster, born at Clonmellane, Co.Kerry in 1831 who I think is the same Thomas. Clearly, this man is too young to be your Mary Ann's father but he could be her cousin. There are so few Glosters in Ireland that the likelihood of two Kerry families of that name not being related is remote. I can send on the references I have found if you wish. Go n-éirí leat!/Good luck

Offline ianash1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 May 14 10:44 BST (UK) »
Dear Caitliona

Thanks so much for the information. I'd love to know the references you have.
Kind Regards

Ian A  :)

Offline Caitliona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 02:22 BST (UK) »
Dear Ian,
I sent a lengthy reply yesterday with all the info I had on sources for the Kerry Glosters but I notice that it hasn't appeared here. It's not in my sent mail, nor in my deleted mail. It has just disappeared, very frustrating. It was my first time posting a full reply and, clearly, something went wrong. Can you tell me how I should send information when it is longer than a 'Quick Reply' or is there something I should read and haven't? Thanks, Caitlíona.

Offline ianash1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Caitliona

I have sent you a personal message (PM) which also contains my email address. If that is easier, feel free to use that method. You can read PM's by clicking on the MY MESSAGES tab at the top of the page. Let me know if you have any problems and thanks again.

Cheers
Ian A

Offline merseult

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 October 14 01:09 BST (UK) »
There was a Gloster family from Kilcooly north of Dingle in the 2nd half of 19th century, Matthew bc1834 was the head of house.  Daughter Bridget married Sean Daly of Coumenoole and had a huge family.  Curiously Bridget is in Kilcooly with half the kids for BOTH the 1901 and 1911 censuses while Sean is in Coumenoole.  There is a great photo of her in the Padraig Tyers book West Kerry Camera.  I am related to Sean Daly through his mother who was a Coumenoole Kevane.  Most of this Daly family went to the USA but at least one married into the Blaskets (Sean Tom Kearney).  Mike Kearney the nonogenarian Blasket islander would be a grandson of Bridget.
O'Brien O'Shea Humphreys Kevane Burke Cooley O'Sullivan Cahill Whittle Moran Dunne Moore Cahalane Kennedy Lewis

Offline ianash1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 October 14 09:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much merseult, another piece of the puzzle (hopefully)!