Author Topic: Donald families throughout Aberdeenshire  (Read 14651 times)

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
Re: Donald families throughout Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 09:08 BST (UK) »
Do you have any info on Nellie Donald, such as dates of birth / marriage / death and where she lived? Regards, Phil.
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi again!  Just noticed your pdf file with the family tree.  You might want to review the links to Aberdeenshire resources:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,507507.0.html

Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline MoreGubbins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm hoping to attach the Donalds I am related to, with Nellie Donald 1890 being my grandmother. As I am visiting Aberdeen soon from Australia, I'd love to know where they are buried.
I don't have these Donalds in my database, but I notice that there's some discrepancy between Donald and McDonald. Do you know which they were using at what time, and when/what prompted the change? The two are generally not interchangeable in records, but at least two other Donald families in the area have latterly adopted McDonald as their surname.

I've looked for your ancestors in the Aberdeen and N.E. Scotland Family History Society index of memorials, with no success. This covers most of the cemeteries in the area. There may be no grave marker for your family, but you might (if you're lucky) still be able to find old burial records at Scotland's People that will tell you where they were buried. The other place to try is Deceased Online.

Best of luck!

Iain.

Offline Dial999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help. I am checking a few links and will get back to you later with what I find.

Offline lakeview

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 August 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
I am related to the Grange Donalds, through James, DOB 1860, who fathered Elizabeth Donald, born 1874.  Lizzie's mother was my great-aunt Catherine Buchan.  Would like to see your tree.  Thanks so much.

Jean Buchan
Buchan, Finnie, Hazel, Brebner, Burgin or Bergen, Thurlby, Doherty, Murray, Livingstone, Jennings, Peeling, Hayes

Offline MoreGubbins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 August 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

I've sent you a private message with my e-mail address in - please get in touch and I'll give you what I have!

All the best,

Iain.

Offline Gillian-Lesley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain:  I'm immersed in Aberdeenshire Donalds at the moment!  My great grandmother was Isabella Donald born 3 May 1835 to George Donald and Ann Matthew in Monquhitter. Do you have her on your database?  I have a few documents for her and other Donalds which I'd be happy to share. And of course I'd love to be put in touch with anyone else researching this family. Thanks!  Jillian (Winnipeg, Canada)

Offline lakeview

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Jillian:  I have a George Donald born in Monquhitter on 1Nov1802.  I know his parents and his siblings, but nothing further on him.  My connection is through his uncle and of course his grandfather, who were Finnies, some of whom eventually emigrated to Manitoba and Saskatchewan.  Interesting that you are in Manitoba.

My George Donald was the son of Alexander Donald and Jean McIntyre, both born around 1778 in Monquhitter.  I am attaching a list of their kids, including George.  Hope this is of some help. 

Lakeview in Grimsby, Ontario

Buchan, Finnie, Hazel, Brebner, Burgin or Bergen, Thurlby, Doherty, Murray, Livingstone, Jennings, Peeling, Hayes

Offline Gillian-Lesley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 13 November 14 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean:  Thanks for the info - and making the connections.  Your George is my George!  Elspet, one of his other daughters (other than my great grandmother that is) married William Finnie (1837 - 1912) - the son of Francis Finnie and Jane Hay.  Are these connected to your Finnies? 

I've only just recently found ancestors who came to Canada.  The first one I found wasn't from the Donald side - but he came to Manitoba.  Killed in WWI.  But just today I found two offspring of Jane Donald (another of George's daughters) and Alexander Ironside arriving in Ontario in 1881.

You mention George's grandfather and uncle being Finnies.  George's grandfather would be my 4xgreat grandfather and I'd love to know who he was.....!

--Jillian