Author Topic: mary jane power  (Read 14403 times)

Offline poochie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mary jane power
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 18:35 GMT (UK) »
sorry about my last post...I was workin on somethin else and mixed up the names

The mary jane power I am lookin for...her father was james power and yes the link you put on is the family I am researchin.... I already have that census report....
She married james cooke and i have all the details for that even her marriage certificate but it only gives her fathers name and they were livin in ballynelly prior to her marriage

My mother told me that mary janes parents moved to america shortly before or after her marriage
I also have mary jane as livin with her aunt and uncle in 1901 with her first two born sons but dont know where james cooke was at that time...

Offline poochie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 January 10 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I have come across a problem relating to the death of mary jane power cooke

I have her death as 1948 in inishowen, ireland and after writing to dublins record office, they have sent me wrong certificate and they have done 2 searches for her death between 1940 and 1950 and cant find her.
They found a lady with same name but the lady they sent me certificate for was spinster and servant so I know its wrong certificate.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can find the right certificate?..... This is baffling me

Her husband died in 1957 and it stated on his death certificate he was married but it was his son signing the death certificate..... I thought if mary jane was dead by that time then it would have stated widower on his certificate so am I right in assumin if it stated he was married at time of his death then his wife mary jane was still alive at that time

All help much appreciated

Offline poochie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I have just been told by another relative that mary jane power was definitely born in derry in ireland and her father was james power.
Apparently they left mary jane power with relatives called hemphill when she was 10yrs old (I have her birth as around 1873-1878) and they were supposed to come back and get her wen they had got a house and settled etc but they never came back for her.
She is on the 1901 census as with the hemphill family and her 2 first born sons so that explains that now..... But I still dont know how to find the parents and all I have to go on is that they went to america wen she was around 10yrs old.

can anyone help....thanx

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 21:37 GMT (UK) »
What is the location for the Hemphill family? If the Hemphills were relatives that might give you a lead.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline poochie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 March 10 16:43 GMT (UK) »
the hemphills are on the 1901 census for moville in donegal

james hemphill and sarah anne hemphill were teh relatives she stayed with

I am rackin my brain tryin to work out wat do try next

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 March 10 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I found the following on Emerald Ancestors. Many of the families in the Magilligan area had links with Donegal. It may be of help.

James Power married Mary Allen 20 Dec 1847 in Tamlaghtarde C of I, Magilligan, Newtownlimavady. Co Londonderry.

James Power married Mary Moody Tamlaghtarde C of I, Magilligan, Newtwonlimavady, Co Londonderry.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline poochie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 March 10 19:43 GMT (UK) »
so do I try trace those 2 james power families to see where that leads me then?....

Im not very good on the ancestry stuff so all help much appreciated so thanx for above info dear

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 March 10 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Think you need to sort out a few things here before you'll be able to get the information you are looking for.
Starting with the place "mary jane power  who was born 1876 in ballynelly in ireland" which is supposed to be in Co. Londonderry.
I've checked 2 different sources and neither list a townland called 'ballynelly' in Co. Derry.
There does, however, seem to be a Ballynelly in Moville area:
www.movillerecords.com/covenant4.html
www.movillerecords.com/history1.htm
In 1911 census it's listed as Ballynally in Moville D.E.D.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 March 10 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Griffith's Valuation for Ballynally (Moville, Lower Parish) shows the surnames Hemphill and Cook/Cooke but no Powers. Only Powers listed are in other places but Griffith's is mid-1800s.
www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!