Author Topic: Douglas family of Limavady  (Read 12588 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas family of Limavady
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 08:51 BST (UK) »
Vichou,
          I have been comparing your Douglas family with my notes and your 1846 marriage of Matthew seems to be a problem. I have notes of a marriage of Mathew Douglas to a Nancy Ferguson (Austen), a widow, in Bovevagh Church of Ireland on 2 Nov 1846. This church is less than a mile from Ardinariff.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline vichou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Kingskerswell

Matthew Douglas married Nancy Ferguson Austen / Hunter in 1846 in Bovevagh Church.
It says her surname is Ferguson in IGI, and (Austen) in Irish Civil Marriage, and the family says Hunter?!

He is believed to have been married twice before - with William by first marriage and Jean & Robert by second marriage. These details have not been confirmed but passed down through the family.

Four of Matthew's children by Nancy Ferguson, got married in the Bovevagh Church. Maria to John Murphy in 1869, Elizabeth to Thomas Connor in 1881, Samuel to Elizabeth Jackson in 1889, and John Alexander to Isabella Stirling in 1890. Two sons, a daughter, and a grandson traveled to NZ (along with 2 of his brothers and 10 nieces and nephews).

I was hoping that Cyclamen's Robert (son of Matthew), might be the Robert of Matthew's second marriage.

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 August 11 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hello vichou,
I am sorry but I have no further information about the Matthew Douglas, father of Robert who married Mary Rodgers and Martha Hunter. All I know is that he was a farmer. Robert gave his age as 67 in the 1901 census so would have been born circa 1834. I have no death date for him but it looks as though he died sometime before 1911.

It does seem possible that he is connected to your family. I can see only one Matthew Douglas in Griffith’s Valuation (1858) in the Limavady area. He leased land at Ardinarive.  Interestingly I see that one of his neighbours is John Guy.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline vichou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 August 11 03:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Cyclamen

Thanks for that information about the Griffiths Valuation.

In the IGI there is submitted information that says Robert DOUGLAS was born about 1833 and died Jun 1908.
There doesn't seem to be a will for him though.

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 August 11 09:40 BST (UK) »
After my posting last night I found that I actually did have a date of death for Robert Douglas. He died 19th April 1908 aged 75. If wills are probated in Dublin they are not on line. I will check the will calendars when next in PRONI.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 August 11 16:12 BST (UK) »
Cyclamen and Vichou,
                               This may be a coincidence but I had a walk around the Cof I graveyard in Bovevagh today keeping an eye out for Douglas graves. There is a large vertical stone which just states "The Family Burying Ground of Robert Douglas  Limavady". There are no other names or dates. However next and close to the vertical stone is an older flat stone stating that this is the grave of Jane Douglas died 18 Oct 184? aged 68 and Samuel Douglas died 15 Apr 1860 aged 84.
         If these are of interest I can forward photographs if you send me your e-mail addresses using the Personal Message system.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 August 11 10:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks kingskerswell. I was wondering where the family might have been buried. Yes, I would like photographs of the headstones. I think you have my e-mail address already but will send it just in case.

Do you know if there any Hunters buried in this graveyard?
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 August 11 12:24 BST (UK) »
Cyclamen,
              Not sure about Hunters but I will have a wander around when the weather improves.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 August 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
Cyclamen,
              Sorry but there are no Hunter gravestones in the C of I church in Bovevagh.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim