Author Topic: Canning Family - Crabarky or Carnanbane area 1860+  (Read 6156 times)

Offline scanning

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canning Family - Crabarky or Carnanbane area 1860+
« on: Monday 24 March 14 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am attempting to find more information about the family of Thomas and Margaret (nee McFarlane) Canning. They married at Dungiven CofI 20th October 1860 by license. The 20 year old Margaret was living at Crebarkey and Thomas at Carnanbane. Parents names were Robert Canning and William McFarlane, with both apparently Weavers.

The children I have found so far for this couple are Henry (1861), Robert (1862), Thomas (1864 - 1865), Mary (1866), Thomas (1868-1950), Andrew (1872) and George (1878-1958). All of the certificates I have obtained for these children give Carnanbane as the place of birth and Thomas gives his occupation as labourer.

In the Griffiths Valuation there is a Thomas Cannon leasing a Home and Office at Crabarky. There is a notation made in 1895 and another in 1897 when it appears the leasers name changes to Robert Irwin. Could all the references to Carnanbane be more related to Carnanbane Road and not the place of the same name?

When Thomas Canning (senior) died at Carnanbane in 1895 his age was given as 68. I have not managed to find any obvious candidates for the remaining family members in the 1901 census.

George appears to have emigrated to New York about 1898 and possibly married Mary Dolan, while my ancestor Thomas married Mary Duffy in 1893 at Livingstone, Scotland and they eventually emigrated to New Zealand in the 1920's.

A photograph album that Thomas and Mary had contain a number of photos that are possibly of family members. One apparently is of "one" of Thomas's sisters and was taken in Omaha, Nebraska and another photo possibly of Robert was taken in New York.

Any additional information about this family (forward or back) would be appreciated.
CANNING - New Zealand, Ireland BONE - New Zealand, Norfolk - CATTRALL - Liverpool WEALLEANS - New Zealand, Northumberland - DUFFY - Scotland, Ireland - DYKES - New Zealand, Liverpool, Cheshire - HAY - New Zealand, Ireland HALDANE - Newcastle on Tyne, Scotland

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Canning Family - Crabarky or Carnanbane area 1860+
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 March 14 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   In N.Ireland roads did not have formal names until the 1970s so I think that your family lived in the townland of Carnanbane. The Carnanbane road is either in or very close to the townland of Carnanbane.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline scanning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 March 14 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi kingskerswell,

Many thanks for the response about the road names. I am trying to work out why on all the official documents Carnanbane is mentioned, while Crebarkay seems to be the actual location.

Are the two townlands adjacent to each other?

Cheers
CANNING - New Zealand, Ireland BONE - New Zealand, Norfolk - CATTRALL - Liverpool WEALLEANS - New Zealand, Northumberland - DUFFY - Scotland, Ireland - DYKES - New Zealand, Liverpool, Cheshire - HAY - New Zealand, Ireland HALDANE - Newcastle on Tyne, Scotland

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 March 14 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   They are not adjacent but Crabarkey is about one mile east of Carnanbane and both are to the south of the town of Dungiven.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 March 14 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation and the subsequent revaluation records don’t always list everyone in a townland. If the birth certificates all say Carnanbane, then I’d be reasonably sure that’s where the family was living. And it seems Robert was still there in 1895. As a labourer he probably had a small cottage that was below the Griffiths clerks radar.

I suspect the Thomas Cannon in Crebarky is a different man altogether.

There was a Henry Canning, farmer, in Carnanbane, in the 1890s so perhaps Robert was related to him (and lived on his farm). I’d suspect they might be brothers. The full will is on-line on the PRONI site. Here’s the abstract:

The Will of Henry Canning late of Carnanbane County Londonderry Farmer who died 17 July 1893 at same place was proved at Londonderry by Andrew M'Spanon of Killunaght and Alexander Buchanan of Magheramore both in said County Farmers the Executors.
Elwyn

Offline scanning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 March 14 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi kingskerwell and Elwyn Soutter,

Many thanks for both your replies about the location and Griffiths details. I must admit that your (Elwyn) revelation that Griffiths didn't cover everyone came as a bit of a bombshell  :o

Many thanks also for the information about the will for Henry Canning. I will definitely be following that up to see if there is any link to Thomas or Robert.

With Thomas and Margaret getting married by license, is there any repository for the licenses and would these be available for searching?

Once again, many thanks to you both for the gems you have already supplied!

Cheers

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 March 14 14:38 GMT (UK) »
On www.ellisisland.org, there is a passenger list for a George Canning of the right age, but a last residence of Tyrone who sailed in 1898.  There was also a Margaret Canning, age 50, and Jennie Canning, age 6, with him. 

There is a return passenger list to Londonderry arriving 29 Nov. 1898 with a possibly matching Margt. & Jennie Canning, but no George.

Offline scanning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 March 14 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi shellyesq,

Thanks for the info regarding Margaret, George and Jennie. I had noted these three arriving In New York, but was not aware of the possibility that Margaret and Jennie had returned to Ireland.

I'll need to see if I can find them in the 1901 census.

Many thanks.

Offline scanning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 01:14 BST (UK) »
There was a Henry Canning, farmer, in Carnanbane, in the 1890s so perhaps Robert was related to him (and lived on his farm). I’d suspect they might be brothers. The full will is on-line on the PRONI site. Here’s the abstract:

The Will of Henry Canning late of Carnanbane County Londonderry Farmer who died 17 July 1893 at same place was proved at Londonderry by Andrew M'Spanon of Killunaght and Alexander Buchanan of Magheramore both in said County Farmers the Executors.

Looking at the Valuation Revision Books there doesn't appear to be a Henry Canning recorded in Carnanbane, although there is a Henry Kennan. Could this be the same gentleman?

Another problem is that there doesn't appear to be a Death registered in Limavady Registration District for a Henry Canning during 1893. There is one recorded in 1890 for a 96 year old, but this would seem to be too early to relate to the 1893 will.

Any additional thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received.