Author Topic: Amos/Tidman/Shiel-Ettrick-Yarrow  (Read 9042 times)

Offline Luella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amos/Tidman/Shiel-Ettrick-Yarrow
« on: Saturday 21 January 06 21:14 GMT (UK) »
My Alexander Amos b. 1819 (Ettrick) m Jane(Jane) Tidman(of Elksdalemuir)Dum.
Alexander and Jane m. 1838 in Ettrick.Alex. gives res. as Stanhopefoot,Jane Tushielaw.
A child,Elizabeth Jane is bapt. Dec.1838,Isabella in 1841,in Ettrick.They appear on the 1841 ceensus for this area.
The family is in Roberton,when Jessie is b. 1843,Thomas in 1847.Living Bellendean Cottage when the 1851 census is done.
A sister of Alexander,(I assume) Isabella is married in 1846 to John Ferguson,servant,at Ettrick House.
All marriage took place,Crosslee.
Also interest in a Margaret Tidman,Tushielaw,who married Peter Smith,Innkeeper 1852.
Boogie Ontario Canada

Offline Luella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Amos/Tidman/Shiel-Ettrick-Yarrow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 06 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Further to my message.
I would very much like to assign Alexander Amos,to Thomas Amos and Isabella Shiel,living Crosslee in 1841 census.
Jane Tidman to Robert and Elizabeth Tidman(nee Beattie?).
 living same Parish 1841.
Objections,will be duly noted.
Joan

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Amos/Tidman/Shiel-Ettrick-Yarrow
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 July 08 15:28 BST (UK) »
 Boogie       I am in the process of upgrading the MIs at ettrick kirkyard and the following might interest you. 1. In loving memory of  Peter Smith who died at Tuihielaw Inn 13-3-1941 aged 76yrs Margaret Lambert who died at Tushielaw Inn 30-1-1936 in her 77th yr James Smith eldest son of Peter and Margaret Smith tushielaw hotel ettrick who died 12-4-1934 aged 47yrs Helen Winton(nell) youngest daughter of Peter Smith who died at Edinburgh Rpyal Infirmary 12-6-1940 aged 49yrs and elsest daughter Jane Anne smith(nan) who died 9-9-1953 aged 84yrs.
2. In memory of Robert Richardson who died at St Marys cottage 1-3-1824 aged 38yrs also Dorothea his daughter who died 15-4-1841 aged 19yrs Isabella SHIELL his spouse who died 23-7-1878 in her 96th yr and Mary his daughter who died in infancy at Thirlestane alsio Margaret Richardson spouse to Peter smith who died at Tushielaw Inn 6-4-1852  aged 38yrs also William Richardson his son born 18-6-1815  died at St marys cottage 16-11-1891 Also of  Walter SHIEL  who died at Goosegreen Haughhead 2-12-1832 aged 85yrs Mary Grieve his spouse died 16-9-1826 aged 72yrs.
3, In loving memory of Thomas AMOS ,Merchant Tushielaw and Ramsaycleuch who died 11th May 1896 aged 48yrs also his wife Helen Nichol who died 21st Feb 1920 aged 80yrs.

I have not come across any TIDMANs in the kirkyard.There are a few more Amos"s  but I thought the above was appropriate.
hope it helps. We wont get it finished  for  a while yet.
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline swimmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 November 08 02:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage of Peter Smith and Margaret richardson 1850 Yarrow. She died April 1852 - gave birth to two shildren She is in the Shiel/Richardson grave. Could the marriage of Smith/Tidman be Peter's second?     swimmer

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 13:08 BST (UK) »
Can anyone confirm whether the following mentioned above:

2. In memory of Robert Richardson who died at St Marys cottage 1-3-1824 aged 38yrs also Dorothea his daughter who died 15-4-1841 aged 19yrs Isabella SHIELL his spouse who died 23-7-1878 in her 96th yr and Mary his daughter who died in infancy at Thirlestane alsio Margaret Richardson spouse to Peter smith who died at Tushielaw Inn 6-4-1852  aged 38yrs also William Richardson his son born 18-6-1815  died at St marys cottage 16-11-1891 Also of  Walter SHIEL  who died at Goosegreen Haughhead 2-12-1832 aged 85yrs Mary Grieve his spouse died 16-9-1826 aged 72yrs.

Is Tibbie Shiel's gravestone?

S_L

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 20:35 BST (UK) »
Still. _looking Its been 5 yrs since i transcribed Ettrick Kirkyard and the full entry for Tibbies grave is as follows;-
103 To the memory of ROBERT RICHARDSON who died at St Marys
Cottage 1st March 1824 aged 38yrs also ISABELLA SHIEL (Tibbie)
his spouse who died 23rd July 1878 in the 96th year of her age.
DOROTHEA his daughter who died 15th April 1841 aged 19yrs. and
MARY his daughter who died in infancy at Thirlestane. Also
MARGARET RICHARDSON spouse to PETER SMITH who died at
Tushielaw Inn 6th April 1852 aged 38yrs. Also WILLIAM
RICHARDSON his son born 18th June 1815 died at St Marys Cottage
16th November 1891. Also of WALTER SHIEL who died at
Goosegreenhaughhead 2nd December 1832 aged 85yrs. MARY
GRIEVE his spouse who died 16th September 1826 aged 72yrs.
104 sunk.

Hope this helps. You can still get the CD with digital photographs of each headstone from www.selkirkshireantiquariansociety.co.uk for £10 plus p and p.Likewise Yarrow,Kirkhope,Ashkirk and all of Selkirk.
alan
waddell-roxburghshire
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 20:40 BST (UK) »
still_looking I found this article on tibbies funeral which is very interesting
alan
"TIBBIE SHIEL -- THE LATE Mrs ISABELLA RICHARDSON."
"From the “Scotsman” Monday 29th July 1978.”"
"“ On Saturday there were consigned to the secluded churchyard of Ettrick the remains of Mrs ISABELLA RICHARDSON, who, as TIBBIE SHIEL, late hostess of the much frequented little Inn at the head of St. Marys Loch, has long been an object of interest to visitors from near and far."
"Rain fell in torrents during the morning, but this apparently had little effect in decreasing the numbers of mourners; and up till noon people came trooping from    all parts of the Yarrow district to pay their last tribute to one as generally respected as she was widely known."
"The body lay in the familiar cottage in the little room entering from the left of the kitchen, honeysuckle and pansies, placed by kindly hands lending a sweet odour to the humble apartment. The coffin bore a simple inscription setting forth the name and age of the deceased."
"A religious service having been conducted in the house. The Re. Dr. Russell of Yarrow ,an old friend of Mrs Richardson, afterwards addressed the mourners From the doorway, speaking in touching terms of the pure and good life which so recently came to a close. The coffin was then placed in a hearse, which took its way over the steep mountain road to Ettrick, a distance of eight miles. Among the mourners who followed were William Richardson, son of the deceased; her grandson; the Rev. Dr Russell; the Rev. Mr McCrindle; the"
"Rev. Mr Falconer; and Dr Muir, Selkirk; and the company embraced nearly every farmer within a distance of twenty miles. The procession consisting of about 100 persons on foot; beside a number of conveyances , wound its slow way up the hill shortly after noon  watches as long as it remained in sight by a number of silent mourners grouped together about the old cottage door. By the time the hearse reached Ettrick the procession had swelled considerably; and the last rites were performed in the presence of a large number of the leading gentlemen of the district."
"The grave is situated a few yards from the resting place of the Ettrick Shepherd and close also to that of  Thomas Boston, author of the “The Fourfold State” It was recalled by some person that in the same spot 50 years ago, were laid the remains of Tibbie”s husband."
"It was not till she had been left a widow that Tibbie Shiel entered on the course of life in which she was destined to become so well known; and that event took place about the year 1824,which she must have been a woman turned of forty. Her early life had been uneventful. She is said to have been a native of Ettrick, where she passed many years in domestic service in the house of Mr Hogg, father of the Ettrick Shepherd. An earlier frequenter of the cottage was Robert Chambers, who, in his “Picture of Scotland” recounted his early literary experiences in a way inspirational to others. But is was chiefly through Hogg and his associates of the Blackwood coterie that Tibbie became connected with the literary history of the day.”"
waddell-roxburghshire
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 00:09 BST (UK) »
Alan,

Thanks very much for confirming it and the additional background. I have been to Ettrick Kirkyard, at the time although I'm sure I looked at the stone I didn't photograph it. I was aware of Tibbie, the Inn and it's literary connections but at that point had no reason to suspect any direct connection to my own research.

Thanks again.

S_L