Author Topic: Trying to work out Address on 1841 Census  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Trying to work out Address on 1841 Census
« on: Saturday 24 May 14 17:47 BST (UK) »
I've found my (4 x) GreatGrandparents on the 1841 Census for Sussex, but can't work out what their Address is from that Census...

They were:

WILLIAM    PATTENDEN  55 b   SUSSEX    
AMELIA    PATTENDEN(Née Dearling) 50 b Horne, Surrey    
JOHN    PATTENDEN 17 b    SUSSEX    
THOMAS    PATTENDEN 10 b    SUSSEX    
CAROLINE    PATTENDEN(Neice)Female 5    Born 1836    SUSSEX

Registration district    GRINSTEAD, EAST
Archive reference    HO107/1115/45 p 9
Schedule    254

It seems to say, 'East Grinstead Common', - but I would like to try and narrow the address down a little.

But perhaps that isn't possible on the 1841 Census?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to work out Address on 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 May 14 19:17 BST (UK) »
I haven't looked at that census page, but I have found that many of my ancestors had no detailed address in 1841.  Probably because house numbers were not essential until the postal service took off and literacy improved.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 May 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
There's quite a bit about William Pattenden and his property here http://www.felbridge.org.uk/index.php?p=2_7 but I see that's already been posted on a previous thread of yours http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=650569.0

And more about the family here http://www.hunnisett.me.uk/winchester/pattenden-william-1786.php

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 May 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
There's quite a bit about William Pattenden and his property here http://www.felbridge.org.uk/index.php?p=2_7 but I see that's already been posted on a previous thread of yours http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=650569.0
And more about the family here http://www.hunnisett.me.uk/winchester/pattenden-william-1786.php

Many thanks for the Links, ShaunJ. I hadn't seen the second one before.

I'm just revisiting this research, having spent some time in East Grinstead last week. I found Sackville College, - where Amelia Pattenden died. Also 'The Old Pest House' on East Grinstead Common, where my G/G/G/Grandmother Mary Holman, (née Pattenden) was on the 1891 Census. On the 1851 Census Mary, (then Dyer, - she had three Marriages) was at Woodland Cottage, East Grinstead Common. My late Uncle remembers visiting 2 old Aunts, - (Mary's daughters, Carrie and Nettie Holman) at that cottage in the early 1930's.

I am just trying to establish which part of the Common William and Amelia Pattenden were on the 1841...

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 May 14 05:00 BST (UK) »
Romilly you would need to look at some old maps to see where William might have been living in 1841.  Looking either side of his name on the 1841 he seems to be in between, knpb? Crofts (writing is hard to read) & Tolbridge -----? (could be Felbridge) The place against his name looks like, 'Smethers'. & a little after Tolbridge/Felbridge is Hedge Court.
Perhaps someone with knowledge of the area & better deciphering skills than me can help out,

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 May 14 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hedge Court Mill Lane is Felbridge RH19 2PQ . Old Maps haven't got much coverage for the area
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 May 14 10:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for looking Jane.

I've taken this from the Felbridge Family History Site:

'The Pattenden family originate from East Peckham in Kent and moved to the area when Samuel Pattenden married Elizabeth Waggone in East Grinstead in 1713. William Pattenden descends from John, a grandson of Samuel and Elizabeth, being born in 1786, one of twelve children of John and Elizabeth Pattenden [for further details see Handout, Pattenden family of Felbridge, SJC06/01].

William Pattenden married Amelia Dearling on 21st October 1814 in East Grinstead, and Amelia had been born in Horne in Surrey in 1791. William and Amelia had eight children, Amelia born in 1815, George born in 1818, James born in 1820, John born in 1823, Stephen born in 1825, Thomas born in 1830 and Caroline born in 1836. Daughter Amelia was born in Lingfield, George in Felbridge, Godstone, and the remaining six children in East Grinstead.

William Pattenden and his family were living at the site of the Brewery/Beer Shop on East Grinstead Common by 24th October 1820 when William purchased a copyhold property (part of ‘Mercers’ of the manor of Imberhorne) from Maurice Halford Barrow, gentleman of East Grinstead, for the sum of £350. At the time of purchase William Pattenden was listed as a yeoman, which is defined as a prosperous working farmer, and the property he purchased was described as ‘3 acres but now measured 4 acres 1 rood 7 perch upon which a tenement has some years been built’, implying that at sometime some encroachment and enclosure of the East Grinstead Common may have occurred'.

And so it's quite possible that the Pattenden's were still at or near 'Mercers' by the time of the 1841 Census.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 May 14 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hedge Court Mill Lane is Felbridge RH19 2PQ . Old Maps haven't got much coverage for the area

Many thanks for this petmas.

I agree, - I've tried looking at Old Maps...

I also just found this on the Felbridge Site:

'The East Grinstead Tithe of 1842 lists William Pattenden as owner of a cottage, and just over six acres of land, in the area of what are now the allotments in Imberhorne Lane'.

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching: