Author Topic: Pre registration records  (Read 16777 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pre registration records
« Reply #27 on: Monday 25 August 14 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   It was usual to get married in the brides church and then to follow the husband's religion so the bride may have been Church of Ireland and after marriage followed her husband's religion.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline David McGimpsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,
Eliza was born c1810. Father was James Gunning. Go to Microsoft search engine Bing. Enter name Eliza Gunning. Lots of info.
Cheers,
David

Offline David McGimpsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 September 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
In doing the family tree I have found that up to the mid 1800.s the spelling of surnames could vary.
In the case of my g-g grandfather we have Gimpsey & Jimpsey & McGimpsey. His wife surname varied between Gunnion & Gunning. However I have now been able to sort things out. Robert McGimpsey was born 1808. Eiza Gunnion 1810. They married in a civil ceremony 4th November 1848. Eliza died 18th January 1903. I have not been able to confirm yet when Robert died. There is recorded family prior to the marriage & yet to sort out if the mother was Eliza or someone else.
Regards,
David 

Offline David McGimpsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 16 November 17 07:27 GMT (UK) »
JimG. In the chats you have had with Susan you were informed James Gunning married Jane Stewart & that there daughter Eliza married Robert McGimpsey in 1848. Robert was my g g grandfather and this was his second marriage. A nephew of his, also named Robert arrived in New Zealand 1893 and became my grandfather.
David McGimpsey
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 16 November 17 18:01 GMT (UK) »
David
The world is small, I was intrigued with your phrase ‘became my grandfather’.
that nephew the Robert McGimpsey you mention, that arrived in New Zealand, later lived as an Engineer in  Otiake Otago..{Omarama is in the Waitaki District, in the historic Province of Otago South Island New Zealand.} he appears to been unmarried and without children, he made his Will while under military service in 27 August 1914 died about 20 September 1916  He is buried at Buried at BULLS ROAD CEMETERY, FLERSLocation: Somme, France Number of casualties: 475 Cemetery/memorial reference: III. F. 23.
with further information Aged 23 New Zealand Engineers  Son of James and Elizabeth J. McGimpsey, of Otioke, Oamaru, New Zealand. see https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/193865/mcgimpsey,-robert/.. he is further commemorated inhis published letters
At the time of his death he was a Sapper No4/427 in the New Zealand  Expeditionary Force.
The probate was completed 15th June 1918 he left everything to a Thomas McGimpsey, youngest son of James McGimpsey a farmer also in Omarama is in the Waitaki District, in the historic Province of Otago 
see family search
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-892C-8G4B?i=140&cc=1865481

changing to more recent time I dont know if you have seen
in 28 July 2008  Ian Robert McGimpsey  started a query for his ancestry New Zealand McGimpseys he left this email, and had replies
My GGF was James McGimpsey (Born 1850 Co Down, Ireland Died 25 Feb 1921 [was also in WW1 NZ Infantry] Otiake, North Otago, New Zealand). Married 4 Feb 1885 Otiake, North Otago to Eliza Jane McCone Born 12 Nov 1868 Carrickfergus, Co Antrim, Ireland.
My GF was William James (B 31Dec1885 Otiake, North Otago D 10Oct1970 Owaka, South Otago) M 8Apr1909 Kurow, North Otago to Robina Mary Irvine (B 26Jan1892 D May1953).
My Father Robert McGimpsey (B Oamaru, North Otago 12Mar1915 D Oamaru 4Jul2006)M Margaret Lindsay Fullerton (B 13Jan1918) I am Ian Robert McGimpsey (B 15Sep1955 Kurow, North Otago).

lest we forget
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 18 November 17 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I needed to look up my geography.  Drumawhy [Drumawhey] townland is the northern of three townlands stretching eastwards within Newtownards civil parish with a road going through it towards Millisle, there is another road going to Donaghadee above this road. its adjoining townland in the next parish ie Donaghadee is Ballyhay. see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/NewtownardsTownlands.htm   ; http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/DonaghadeeTownlands.htm  ; and http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/CoDownParishes.htm
Sadly Newtownards tithes records except for Ballyskeaugh townland appear to be missing from http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/newtownards-parish.php#.Wg_wsLacb9M.  ie I cant find any tithe entry for Drumawhy.

However Donaghadee tithes do exist
see http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/donaghadee-parish.php#.Wg_yZbacb9M
Magimpsey, John   Townland: Ballyhay Year: 1834
Magimpsey, John   Townland: Ballyvester Year: 1834
Magimpsey, Josh.   Townland: Ballyraer Year: 1834
Magimpsey, Wm.   Townland: Sloanestown Year: 1834
McGimpsy, John   Townland: Ballyhay Year: 1834

So Your Great Great Great Grandfather:--could be John McGimpsy or Magimpsey from the entry in the Tithes Applotment Books 1823-1837 based upon the work of the Irish Genealogy Hub. The relevant original books are in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast
A volunteer looker upper named jaykim see www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=68312.0
 might look up the one line entry in the original

I went back to Griffiths 1863 map ref 34 and 35 in Ballyhay is for John McJempsey   no 34 Cottiers house and land 5 acres and house valued  at ten shillings pa.  No35 House office and land  has 15 acres and house valued at £1 ten shillings pa above average  using patience you can look up the map see plots 34&35 and then switch to modern google for ballyhay road, switch to satellite and compare existing buildings to what was on old unusually I could find street scenes of road. Still interesting the cattle or sheep are there.
hoping something is new for you
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide