Author Topic: Help doing research in Greenock  (Read 7215 times)

Offline Chaplain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help doing research in Greenock
« on: Wednesday 30 March 05 03:33 BST (UK) »
Good evening!

In May, my spouse and I will be travelling to Greenock to celebrate our first anniversary.  Last year, when we were in Greenock to be married, I found the Watt Library with a wealth of information but only a couple of hours to spend looking at it (census records, etc.)  I found the one person I was searching for in 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871, but I can't find his spouse, their children or the spouse's children by her marriage in any of the census other than 1861. 

I have checked the Roman Catholic and Episcopal church records for baptisms and registrations using the known surnames but no one shows up.  I do have a poor relief application which lists various addresses but the information just doesn't jive.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to how I can methodically go through this material and try to find people., especially given that I am using rather common surnames.  I have been searching registration and old parochial records for close to 25 years in trying to find the births of my great-grandmother (1860)and her sister (1854), the marriage of her mother and father (not sure they were).

My interests are (starting with most recent) are Brown, Gillespie, McDougall, McKellar, McLachlan, based out of Renfrewshire (Greenock) and possibly Ireland.

Your collective pieces of wisdom would be most appreciated.

Chaplain
Brown, Gillespie, McKellar, McDougall, McLachlan, Jeffries, Harbord, Gray,
Renfrewshire, Lanarkshire, Clackmananshire, Ireland, Norfolk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help doing research in Greenock
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Chaplain

I wish I could make some suggestions, but having been doing this research for 2 years against your 25, I doubt I have much information to offer - BUT - I am somewhat envious of your trip & hope within the next couple of years to do similar, as my family travelled from Renfrewshire to Australia in 1833. So if you have some advice to offer now or after your trip, do please pass it on.

There used to be a discussion group attached to ScotlandsPeople site which went defunct.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrissey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 05 18:48 BST (UK) »
i noticed on your list of names that you have mcdougall and also a connection to ireland , i have very similar in my search
         if i can help please let me know
              love christine

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 September 05 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Chaplain,

What about lookups in the British Vital Records?

If you could post details of individuals, there's more chance of finding them and you'll get plenty of help here!

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your trip. The first frost of the year this morning so remember and pack your thermals!!

Anne

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 07:28 BST (UK) »
related to gillespies in falkirk if that helps.

T.

Offline mclaughlan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Chaplain,  I am also researching the surname McLachlan/McLaughlan also from Greenock/Portglasgow area from 1856 onwards.  If you would like to share some christian names I could check my details.  Regards 
Cairns, McLaughlan, McDonald, Haggerty, Hynes,
McNeilly, Ferguson, Stewart.      Port Glasgow, Greenock, Ireland.

Offline dagny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 February 14 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if I can help with your research in Greenock as I live in the U.S.  Anyway, you probably already went!  But you mentioned the names Brown and Gillespie.  I'd love to discuss with you more if you are interested.  I have Alexander Brown (my grandfather) whose first wife was Elizabeth Gillespie.  I don't know a lot about her other than things like date of death - have that record.  Am confused about her parentage.  Alexander Brown married, second, my grandmother Mary Patrick.  This line of Browns is from the Cumbernauld/Dumbarton area primarily and I think Falkirk area connection via a marriage of John Brown to Helen Shaw Walker.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 February 14 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Chaplain

This is broad and general since I do not know who you are looking for but if this was my search and if I have a fairly good idea of the year of their birth I typically go for the deaths (providing they occurred post 1855), using Scotland's People.  The registration list address, spouse, parents, cause of death and informant.  This enables you to work back, find a marriage and then identify the couple in the census and their children.  I hope the weather in May is better this year than last.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 February 14 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked to see if the Watt Library's online "Intimations" helps ...

http://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/education-and-learning/libraries/local-and-family-history/family-history/intimations

... I've found it very useful in my research.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017