Author Topic: auchentorlie house paisley  (Read 1853 times)

Offline chrisseyw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
auchentorlie house paisley
« on: Tuesday 15 April 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
i just wondered if anyone had any info on the above       i did manage to find out it was used as a kind of clearing house  and maternity home for poor women and children before they were moved on tosomewhere else     many thanks   chrissey

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: auchentorlie house paisley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Chrissey ,

Auchentorlie House
In 1910, the Paisley Parish Council took over a large property known as Auchentorlie House on Seedhill Road to the east of Paisley. The house was used as a children's home and for maternity cases and had a total capacity of 77 inmates. The buildings consisted of two floors, plus attics, and included dormitories for boys and girls, a day room and dining-hall for the children, a waiting room for maternity cases, an accouchement (delivery) room, probationary wards, bathrooms and lavatories, kitchens and outhouses, and staff quarters. The children's home was intended for to prevent children of good character from coming into contact with the ordinary inmates of the poorhouse. Neglected and under-fed children were sent to a separate children's home at Largs. Modern housing now stands on the site.
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Paisley/

Previous post here -
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=65723.9

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline chrisseyw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: auchentorlie house paisley
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 15:08 BST (UK) »
many thanks   my mother was born there