Author Topic: Eviction notices.  (Read 1749 times)

Offline noxas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Eviction notices.
« on: Tuesday 19 August 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

I just wondered if eviction notices from the 19th. century are recorded anywhere and if so can copies be obtained.

With thanks Diarmuid.
Crowe,Carlow,Ireland
Scully,Carlow,Ireland
Deegan,Carlow,Ireland
DonohueCarlow,Ireland

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Eviction notices.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
I don't know however would suspect they would be in with the land records of the often absentee landlords documents, which are likely to be in TNA in Kew

http://www.maggieblanck.com/Mayopages/Eviction.html

This article says " The Illustrated London News carried an article and pictures on May 1 1886 concerning evictions for non payment of rent in the west. This particular article focused on evictions in Galway."
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 13:16 BST (UK) »
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
If the eviction was dealt with in the Petty Sessions court it would probably feature in the court report in the local newspaper at the time.
If it was part of the Land War there could be even more.
I got a detailed description of my Great Grandfather and family's eviction during the Land War that way.
Including the sad but proud fact that my pregnant Great Grandmother un-nerved the eviction party by laughing the entire time. Go Great Granny.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 14:07 BST (UK) »
If the eviction was dealt with in the Petty Sessions court it would probably feature in the court report in the local newspaper at the time.
I got a detailed description of my Great Grandfather and family's eviction during the Land War that way.
Including the sad but proud fact that my pregnant Great Grandmother un-nerved the eviction party by laughing the entire time. Go Great Granny.

Sianna that is lovely, there was something on TV about these evictions last week or the week before, really sad but really interesting it was on one of those WDYTYA or finding family genealogy programs and the Land League

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 14:10 BST (UK) »
....sooooooooooooo it also may be worth looking at where Land League records are kept...ummm TNA http://media.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php/irish-land-records/

An article about the Land League http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/30008005?uid=3738032&uid=2&uid=4&sid=21104605837973

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
I should have added this link
http://www.irishnewsarchive.com
You can get a 24 hour sub for €10 I think.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 14:20 BST (UK) »

Sianna that is lovely, there was something on TV about these evictions last week or the week before, really sad but really interesting it was on one of those WDYTYA or finding family genealogy programs and the Land League
A very interest period when you read into it and recent enough to have lots of information available.
Lots of interesting family stories and communities working together but also stories of families shunned by their neighbours, I had both sides of the coin in my lot so very interesting. My other Great Grandfather was part of that eviction party.

Offline noxas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 August 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, Iluleah, Sinnan.

Thanks for your replies I haven't as yet read the articles in the London illustrated or gone to the links as I have been away for the couple of days so haven't had time yet, I should be able to check these out at leisure a little later

Once again thank you both, Diarmuid.
Crowe,Carlow,Ireland
Scully,Carlow,Ireland
Deegan,Carlow,Ireland
DonohueCarlow,Ireland