Author Topic: Portlaw(Guilcagh) C of I - photos needed please  (Read 3946 times)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Portlaw(Guilcagh) C of I - photos needed please
« on: Monday 01 September 14 23:11 BST (UK) »
Guilcagh is a few miles south of Portlaw, and is the Church of Ireland graveyard for the area.
I visited this graveyard (about 50 graves) last year, and found g-granda's grave.

While there, I photographed most of the headstones. I was under time pressure, so I missed some, and several photos were poor quality. And I'm not likely to get back to Portlaw this year.

I've transcribed those I could and I'm ready to send them to the IGP site (Ireland Genealogy Projects).

If anyone would like to help, and photo some of the missing/unclear stones, I'd be very grateful!
If you think you can help, please PM me, and I can send details of what needs doing. I hope this isn't too cheeky!

I've put this on Ireland General, because Portlaw is in Co. Waterford, but very near Co. Tipperary and Co. Kilkenny.

regards eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline GAJM1

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Portlaw(Guilcagh) C of I - photos needed please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 September 14 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi I live in Portlaw if you would like to PM details I will try over next couple of weeks.

Could be two to three weeks before I get a chance with the way I am working thou  :-[

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 September 14 12:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Tannery Town.

I'll PM you later today - I need to make sure that I give you an understandable list!

regards eadaoin
Brady - Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 May 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi I just wanted to say thank you to you both. I came across the photos of headstones and transcriptions on IGP today. There is a link to them on the IGP site: http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/waterford/photos/tombstones/waterford-portlaw/index.html  <---  Does this include the work you have done as well please Tannery Town?

It seems that Guilcagh Church is currently for sale as a home: http://www.daft.ie/sales/guilcagh-church-ballycahane-portlaw-waterford/926900/

Guilcagh Church is where my ancestors Catherine THOMPSON and George SAUNDERS were married on 24 Feb 1855. They lived at 21 William Street, Portlaw. I know that some of their children died at a young age. Unfortunately there are no Saunders headstones in your work.

I don't have much more information about the family, other than:
George Saunders father was called Timothy SAUNDERS.
Catherine Thompsons father was John Thompson.
George and Catherine had children:
Sarah 1862-1864
Sarah 1864-
James 1866-
Catherine 1869-1872
Michael 1872-

When Sarah married (1881 in Birmingham, UK) she stated that her father was George Saunders deceased, occupation school master.

If anyone comes across this and can help me out with more information I will be very grateful.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 May 15 16:10 BST (UK) »
Guilcagh is a few miles south of Portlaw, and is the Church of Ireland graveyard for the area.
I visited this graveyard (about 50 graves) last year, and found g-granda's grave.

While there, I photographed most of the headstones. I was under time pressure, so I missed some, and several photos were poor quality. And I'm not likely to get back to Portlaw this year.

I've transcribed those I could and I'm ready to send them to the IGP site (Ireland Genealogy Projects).

If anyone would like to help, and photo some of the missing/unclear stones, I'd be very grateful!
If you think you can help, please PM me, and I can send details of what needs doing. I hope this isn't too cheeky!

I've put this on Ireland General, because Portlaw is in Co. Waterford, but very near Co. Tipperary and Co. Kilkenny.

regards eadaoin

Indeed anyone visiting ANY graveyard in ANY County are needed to contribute g/stone photos to the likes of IGP to try to fill the vacuum that exists, even a few that might help someone else!

It is the "records" on the g/stones that is needed rather than from 20 yards away.

There are over 72,000 g/stone photos on IGP but some counties like Louth have very few contributors.

Anyone visiting, especially from overseas should photograph as many as they can to allow for future discoveries and can then "revisit" that g/yard via the photos they took.

Many visit, then find out later they need others at same Cemetery..... many wish they had photographed more when they were there! Plus one can look through what they took at their leisure later in case they missed something during visit.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 May 15 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi I just wanted to say thank you to you both. I came across the photos of headstones and transcriptions on IGP today. There is a link to them on the IGP site: http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/waterford/photos/tombstones/waterford-portlaw/index.html  <---  Does this include the work you have done as well please Tannery Town?

yes some of the photos are by Tannery Town (thank you TT) - and you're welcome, Angelfish - and as hallmark says, you can pass on the gift by maybe taking some photos somewhere yourself - just check first to see if someone else is already doing that graveyard.

I was able to get a second shot at Guilcagh early this year, and got most of the remainder.
I'm sure I've overlooked a few - the ground is very uneven and overgrown in places - I found one "new"(to me) grave, when I tripped over a bump and nearly fell flat - the bump was part of a grave!
And the weather was horrible that day, so I hope someday to retake some of the photos, having done a bit of "gardening" first.
Brady - Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 May 15 19:34 BST (UK) »
I reply to photo requests for the local cemeteries, and slowly getting some of the older graves online that are in the 'wildflower section'.  :)

I also help transcribe parish registers to make them freely available. Alas I reside in England not Ireland.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 May 15 20:07 BST (UK) »
I reply to photo requests for the local cemeteries, and slowly getting some of the older graves online that are in the 'wildflower section'.  :)

I also help transcribe parish registers to make them freely available. Alas I reside in England not Ireland.

It is indeed a worldwide need...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 May 15 20:42 BST (UK) »

It is indeed a worldwide need...

I second that - I've relatives buried in English/Welsh graves - it doesn't matter what bits you're donating, transcribing, snapping - every bit helps.
Brady - Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford