Author Topic: Burke: Thomas & Margaret from Ireland  (Read 1518 times)

Offline chrisburke198

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burke: Thomas & Margaret from Ireland
« on: Sunday 28 September 14 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all, first post, I hope I don't botch this up...at any rate:

Looking for a Thomas Burke b. abt 1825  who came from Ireland.
Married to Margaret MacDonough or McDonough most likely married to Margaret before they came from Ireland.

Children:
Thomas b. 1859
Margaret b. abt 1864
Catharine or Catherine b. 1857

Census shows family in Richmond County, New York in 1870:

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7163/4277079_00431/32142213?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3frank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d1%26msT%3d1%26gss%3dangs-c%26gsfn%3dThomas%26gsfn_x%3dXO%26gsln%3dBurke%26msbdy%3d1859%26msbdy_x%3d1%26msbpn__ftp%3dNew%2bYork%252c%2bUSA%26msbpn%3d35%26msbpn_PInfo%3d5-%257c0%257c1652393%257c0%257c2%257c3244%257c35%257c0%257c0%257c0%257c0%257c%26msfng0%3dThomas%26msfns0%3dBurke%26msmng0%3dEllen%26msmns0%3dBurke%26cpxt%3d0%26catBucket%3drstp%26uidh%3d2c8%26_83004003-n_xcl%3df%26cp%3d0%26pcat%3dCEN_1870%26h%3d1378007661%26db%3dNYStateCen1875%26indiv%3d1%26ml_rpos%3d8&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

Sorry for the ugly link, let me know if you have ANYTHING. I have looked for the county as I know it's tough finding a Burke in Ireland without it but I have exhausted my resources.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burke: Thomas & Margaret from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 September 14 06:39 BST (UK) »

A Thomas Bourke married a Margaret McDonagh in the RC parish of Newport in SW County Tipperary in 1840, that might be a possibility.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 September 14 08:51 BST (UK) »
The link only works if you have an Ancestry subscription (otherwise you are invited to take out membership) but this looks like the family in 1870: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M8KW-XBX

Have you found Thomas and/or Margaret in any later census records?

In order to have any chance of finding receords (if they do survive) in Ireland you will need a fairly exact location (parish if not actual townland) not just the county or 'Ireland.' Therefore, you need to search through all possible U.S. records for clues (not easy with a common surname)- newspaper obituaries, death certificates, gravestone inscriptions, cemnetery & church records, etc.- as well as all possible relatives who might have old letters, addresses, etc.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 September 14 09:08 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

Re: Ugly links! ;D
At the bottom of every RootsChat page, under the heading "Your Tools" you will find "Shrinklink".

This is a tool which generates a short URL for you!
Paste your long URL into the box; shrink it; and copy the new, short URL into your post! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 September 14 09:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the ugly link, let me know if you have ANYTHING. I have looked for the county as I know it's tough finding a Burke in Ireland without it but I have exhausted my resources.

Welcome to RootsChat,
For future reference, have a look at the dark brown area at the bottom of the page it has a Shrink a Link thingy. Also it's better not to post links to subscription sites as not everyone will have a subscription so can't see the info.
Have you looked for the family on FamilySearch https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&region=UNITED_STATES

Snap KGarrad

Offline chrisburke198

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 September 14 23:29 BST (UK) »

A Thomas Bourke married a Margaret McDonagh in the RC parish of Newport in SW County Tipperary in 1840, that might be a possibility.

Awesome work gaffy. I will look into that later this week!

If you don't mind me asking how did you readily find that information, what sources did/do you use to get such quick hits. I understand that it might not be THE match I am looking for but I will be looking to get more possibilities, more so than what I can get.

The link only works if you have an Ancestry subscription (otherwise you are invited to take out membership) but this looks like the family in 1870: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M8KW-XBX

Have you found Thomas and/or Margaret in any later census records?

In order to have any chance of finding receords (if they do survive) in Ireland you will need a fairly exact location (parish if not actual townland) not just the county or 'Ireland.' Therefore, you need to search through all possible U.S. records for clues (not easy with a common surname)- newspaper obituaries, death certificates, gravestone inscriptions, cemnetery & church records, etc.- as well as all possible relatives who might have old letters, addresses, etc.

Sorry everyone, I will be sure to double check family search as I use both family search and ancestry. I just started utilizing ancestry.com so I will be sure to better use the ancestry so that I can at least relate to people who, as you said, might not have the subscription services. Silly me, I didn't even think about that.

I did find that census from 1870, I am trying to find the 1960 census where Thomas, the son, would have been 1. I have just learned about wildcards (*!) while searching, I will also give that a try.

Thanks for your encouragement everyone, I will scrub all of the censuses that I have and hopefully come away with county. The family thinks Gallway or Mayo counties. I will give that a shot.

-Chris

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 September 14 04:14 BST (UK) »

If you don't mind me asking how did you readily find that information ...

It was from the RootsIreland website search index which has recently become subscription but with existing customers able to 'use out' their free search facility. So I would recommend the marriage is simply worth noting for now until you corroborate the location in Ireland.