Author Topic: How do I get started in Tipperary Records?  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Coleen Mielke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
How do I get started in Tipperary Records?
« on: Wednesday 02 July 14 08:42 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother Margaret Keogh was born 20 December 1861 in Tipperary. Her parents are listed as James Keogh and Mary Burke (Bourke) who married in Tipperary 6 May 1855. Their other children were Catherine b. 12 May 1856, Bridgett b. 15 February 1859, Mary b. 29 May 1864, Elizabeth b. 6 May 1867 and Michael b. 6 July 1871 (all in Tipperary). What part of Tipperary I don't have a clue, which church/parish/etc. I do not know. What's my first step to find out more about James Keogh and Mary Burke (Bourke)? Are any records online?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get started in Tipperary Records?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 13:02 BST (UK) »
The Rootsireland site appears to have the births of Mary (1864) and Michael (1871) to these parents. That’s pay to view. However it should tell you where in the county the family were living at that time. You should be able to get birth certificates for the births from 1864 onwards (when birth registration started). The full birth certs may contain slightly more info than is found on the on-line transcripts.
Elwyn

Offline Coleen Mielke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 22:04 BST (UK) »
The Rootsireland site appears to have the births of Mary (1864) and Michael (1871) to these parents. That’s pay to view. However it should tell you where in the county the family were living at that time. You should be able to get birth certificates for the births from 1864 onwards (when birth registration started). The full birth certs may contain slightly more info than is found on the on-line transcripts.

Excellent tip on how to pin down the county, thank you!!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 July 14 00:08 BST (UK) »
Their in Tipperary civil parish /District, but oddly the others aren't there

You go to the Tipperary South page put in the names, than work down through the Parish/District until you get a match

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 July 14 00:21 BST (UK) »

Offline Coleen Mielke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 July 14 07:27 BST (UK) »
These appear to be the Civil Certs but there is no quarter given
 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYGR-8YF
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYRQ-XZ4
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYBN-DQ9

Thank you. My mother was born in Cambridge, England, so I am very familiar with English records. However, I've sort of put my great grandmother Keogh's line on the back burner because it is expensive to research (unless you can pin down a "for certain" record). Thank you very much for this information.