Author Topic: lost in 1841  (Read 4915 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: lost in 1841
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Right here is a summary of what I have found about Jemima
Ann Maria STANFIELD m Edward Alard saying her father was William a caster that lead to finding the baptism in St Martins:
Baptisms in the Parish of St Martin in Birmingham in the County of Warwick in September in the Year 1845
No 1454   10    Ann Maria    William &   STANDFIELD   Old Inkley   Caster   J Taylor
   Novr   Born 10 Novr 1842   Jemima

<One of many baptism on the same day>
No census for William a caster with a Jemima has been found ...I went through every pair of William and Jemima any surname shown on the 1841 census in the Birmingham area on FindMyPast

Only baptism for a Jemima Stanfield in Birmingham in
Baptisms in the Parish of Saint Martin in Birmingham in the County of Warwick in September in the Year 1822
No 2539   4th    Jemima Daur of   Ann   STANFIELD   Church Street   Single Woman   J Gabett
      Born 3d June 1819
<Printed Burial crossed out and Baptisms written in, new column headings and rules>
<One of 227 baptism on the same day    2360 <p296> to 2586 <p324>

!841HO107/1146/ 4 fo18 p 1 Hill street James Stanfield a hawker born out of County
We have found a marriage for a single lady Jemima Stanfield marrying John Greatwood in 1846.He father is listed as James Stanfield a coach man and her adress was Hill St
1851 census shows Jemima to be 31 born in Birmingham they have an 8yr old Maria with them thought to be AM Stanfield
1851 census for James Stanfiled HO107/2055 fo239 p20 shows him born Buxton Derbyshire in 1785
baptism Baptism 25 November 1787 Mellor, Derbyshire parents Edmnd and Elizth Stanfield
baptism Mellor 6 Jan 1792 for Ann parents Edmnd and Elizth Stanfield
Was this Ann Jemima's mum was she bought up by her Uncle James?

1860 AM Stanfield marries giving her address as Bristol Street she marries some distance from Bristol St.
1861 Joseph and Jemima Appleby the same ages and place of births as John and Jemima are keeping the Stafford Arms in Bristol Street (a Joseph and Hannah Appleby had witnessed John and Jemima's marriage in 1846) with them in the Stafford Arms is a Niece Ann Appleby who turns
out to be the daughter of the marriage witnesses
1870 Jemima Greatwood died in Birmingham age 50

There was an Ann Stanfield daughter of Thomas Stanfield and Susanna nee Green baptised 30 Sep 1802 in Birmingham

So which Ann was Jemima's mother? Why does she give her father as James? Is it a coincidence that she married from Hill Street and a James lived in Hill Street? Or is this a clue to her true identity

Two Anns married in Birmingham

An Ann STANFIELD married a William JONES  1 Jun 1828.St Martins (FamilySearch)

An Ann STANFIELD m Edmund WHITEHOUSE 19 May 1823 St Phillips M041791 1715- 1828

Edmund Whitehouse with 30 yr old Ann  ie born 1806-1811
William Jones with an Ann 30  ie born 1806-1811
William Jones with an Ann 33   ie born 1808
William Jones with an Ann 60  ie born 1776-1781
William Jones with daughter Ann  he born 1791 but possibly a widower

Which was daughter of Thomas and Susannah and which daughter of Edmund and Elizabeth?
Phew I think that gives all the facts so far

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 January 14 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm stuck fast on the Jones at the moment trying to rule out Jemima 21 with baby William.
Was she a young wife/widow/single woman?
Could the baby have been her mothers?  If she had Jemima at a young age she would have been young enough.

If married she can't have been for too long due to her age so looked for possible Jones/Jemima.  There is a marriage with those names but they don't pair up together.

Can't find a baptism for baby William Jones with mother Jemima but there is one for parents William & Ann Jones.  William is a cooper add looks like Balsall St?

There's a marriage in 1848 for a Jemima Jones so will check that out.  4 grooms to choose from but I want to rule her out  8)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 January 14 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Well the marriage isn't the same person as in 1841 as she is with father John Jones age 11 and she marries Thomas Warwick in 1848 age 20.

So the Jemima Jones age 21 in 1841 is still on the loose  8)
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 January 14 10:39 GMT (UK) »
great minds think alike I've been chasing Jemima Jones this morning too but can't find anything that would make her to be AM's mum if she was her why use Stanfield when baby William was buried in 1838 and for AM's baptism in 1845.
Must disappear for an hour or two back later to scratch my head again. As always thank you is much for your help it is much appreciated

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 January 14 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Just having another look.  I agree her using the name Jones doesn't make sense but AM had a penchant for different surnames so it might run in the family ;D

I was thinking Jemima could have been further afield in 1841.  If she was between children she might have got a job somewhere in a neighbouring county and be in residence there :-\
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 January 14 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hmm this is a little odd.  The baptism for Jemima is 4 Sep 1822 born 3 Jun 1819 mother Ann single woman as we know.

There's a baptism for a Jemima Stamford 27 Dec 1819 - do you think this was her too?
No parents names, no address, no occupation just her name at the bottom of the page ???
That one was St Phillips Birmingham.
Could be a different girl but bit strange no other info about her. 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 January 14 14:07 GMT (UK) »
How very odd that needs looking into I wonder what was going on there no parents cant see any other Stamford entries in the register either very odd

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 January 14 15:31 GMT (UK) »
It is odd isn't it.  She couldn't have crawled there by herself.  Don't like to say it but have to wonder if she was left there without any parents to be baptised?  Doesn't make sense because how would the church know what name to baptise her under :-\

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 January 14 15:57 GMT (UK) »
The only other time I have seen a baptism with out parents names was for an adult baptism Maybe before a wedding ...some old priest insisted on the parties being baptised, before confirmation confirmation confirms your baptismal vows or possibly before a christening all god parents should be baptised themselves. But there is no mention of this being an adult. Oh yes I did see an entry in a Herefordshire register for a foundling he was also given a surname but it was not known and a note acompanied the baptism to that effect#So was there a marriage of a Jemima Stamford just after the baptism I don't think a register of confirmation was kept shame that would be a nice additional help to us hunters of the past

mcmullin.me.uk