Author Topic: Henry Edward Bennett  (Read 5547 times)

Offline MalNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Edward Bennett
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

The only real data are in the 1861 census and the marriage date of Elizabeth Larkin to  Edward (not Howard) Bennett  in 1867.

Patrick G Larkin  36 bootmaker   b. Ireland
Elizabeth            32 boot binder  b. England  (known as Eliza)
Elizabeth            16 scholar         b. ditto

Elizabeth is Larkin's adopted daughter by Elizabeth's (Eliza) previous elopement and marriage (to Davis which was annulled by family (present family recollection)).  Larkin  died sometime between 1861 and 1867.   Elizabeth snr had 2 daughters and a son (so the family data records) but the two elder Bennett children were born BEFORE the marriage to Edward Bennett  (Eliza then a widow) in 1867.  It is not known who fathered them as the family records them only as Bennett and there is no family 'rumour' that they were adopted by Edward.

So two key questions   
when and where did Patrick (not Philip)  Larkin marry Eliza Downing/Davis?
when and where did Patrick Larkin die after 1861 and before 1867?

See my previous post re the two children, Henrietta (7)  and Henry E. (5),  recorded in the 1871 census whose ages denote births before 1867

Hope this clarifies a very messy situation.

Cheers

MalNZ

Williams, Cardiganshire
Morris, Cardiganshire
Evans, Cardiganshire

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 14:01 GMT (UK) »
I think I've got it!!

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi MalNZ

First the good news. I can see a death in St Helier for a Patrick Larkins (note the "s"), Dec 1861 to May 1863, volume 15, page 27. I can look at the certificate tomorrow and check that it's the right person.

I cannot see a marriage for a Patrick Larkin between 1851 and 1861.

As for children, bearing in mind that Patrick died no later than 1863 and the first child was born 1864, and the fact that I can't find any Larkin births between 1861 and 1867 and I said that Eliza married in 1867...........

I need to go back and check the marriage for Eliza Downing. I can see that I have type Howard Bennett instead of Henry Bennett  :-\ Also I could have a look for Bennett children between 1863 and 1871.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing both you and me. When I research a number of requests all at the same time you tend to loose the thread.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 December 10 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Right - progress at last!

First of all I have checked the marriage of Eliza Downing. Where I have written Howard would you please change this to Henry. I have also checked the date and this is correct. Also, John Downing's occupation could be also interpreted as "tanner" rather than "farmer".

Next the death of Patrick Larkin(s). This happened at 3:30pm on 14th May 1862 at Hue Street, St Helier. Patrick was 39 years old and was a Marchand de Muebles (furniture salesman). He died from "inflamination de pouerous" and the death was reported by Bridget Larkin of 5, Gas Lane, St Helier. She couldn't write her name and signed with an "X". Question - is this the right Patrick?

I have found all of the children mentioned in the 1871 census (plus Alice) and they are all under the surname of Bennett and born in St Helier.

Henrietta - 9th Dec 1863 to 6th Jan 1865, volume 20, page 8
Henry Edward - 7th Jan 1865 to 2nd Feb 1866, volume 21, page 93
Harriet Mary - 9th Mar 1867 to 8th May 1868, volume 23, page 30
Helena Miriam Victoria - 9th May 1868 to 22nd Jul 1869, volume 24, page 59
Alice Maud - 26th Nov 1871 to 112th Mar 1873, volume 27, page 68

I didn't have time to look at all of the certificates but I did look at Henrietta's. She was born at 2:30am, 25th Dec 1863 at 14, Garden Lane, St Helier. Her father was Henry Bennett a boulanger and her mother was Eliza Larkin. The birth was reported by Susanna Stye.

So the reason why the 3 children weren't mentioned is probably because they were born out of wedlock.

Hope that helps.

Stewart

Offline MalNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 December 10 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Hope you are having a good Christmas and New Year, and the weather is behaving better there than in UK.

Our festivities caught up with me and  long letters from a cousin re his incorrect details re this family had to be sorted out and changed.  Interestingly he raised a point about the forenames.  The last three daughters have always had three here in NZ but your notes and the census records only show one or two.  If you able check on these he and I would be most relieved.
Harriet Mary Theresa
Alice Maud Mary

Our Patrick Larkin is probably not the one you have noted in your message. His age and occupation do not fit.  Although the age is close, 37 for Patrick G. in 1862, the occupation has changed from boot-maker in the 1861 census to furniture dealer at  death 11 months later.  Bridget, the informant is unknown to our family.  I seem to have misplaced my copy of the 1861 census page so I cannot check the address for Patrick G.

Also interesting is the lack of a record for Henry in the 1861 census when the remnant of the family was at 15 Oxford Road.  But this actually poses another problem. Recorded in 1861 is Clement Bennett, a baker, the same age as Henry. This is the only time that name appears and it may well be a mis-transcription in the records. 

Presumably Henry was living with Eliza from about Mar 1863 at 14 Garden Lane and shifted to 7 Poonah Lane by the 1871 census.

Interesting to see that the birth of Henrietta is reported by Susanna Stye (Styles), Henry's sister, now married  to John Edward Styles. She had an illegitimate son in 1849.

Another family dinner today.  Shall see what my brother thinks about all this.  Your work is much appreciated by us all and is a good topic for comparison between family views of Victorian times with those, supposedly much freer. views of today.

Best wishes

MalNZ

Williams, Cardiganshire
Morris, Cardiganshire
Evans, Cardiganshire

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mal

Have been to look at the certificates and I'm afraid there's a sting in the tail!! I'll list what I found as I've looked at the remaining 4 children.

Henry Edward was born 9:45am 14th Dec 1865 at 24 Aquila Road. Father was Henry, a patissier and mother was Eliza Downing.

Helena Miriam Victoria was born 11am 4th Jan 1869 at Aquila Road. Father was Henry, a boulanger and mother Eliza Downing.

Harriet Mary was born 9am, 10th Jul 1867 at Poonah Road. Father was Henry a boulanger and mother Eliza Downing.

Now....  Alice Maud was born 14th Oct 1872 at 4 Waterloo Street, Father was Thomas John Bennett, a hotellier and mother Ellen Welch.

I'll let you think about that.

All first names are as per the census.

Poonah Road, Aquila Road and Garden Lane are all near each other. It doesn't follow that they were necessarily living there - it was where the child was born. Waterloo Street is much further away.

Stewart

Offline MalNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 January 11 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Many thanks for those details.

You have found   Alice Maud, born 1872, Henry's niece.
Henry's daughter is Alice Mary Maud, born November 1871 (unconfirmed).

Re  Patrick G. Larkin.  Have found my copy of the census page (St Helier 4397/62/p29).  He, Eliza and Elizabeth were at 30 Union Street St Helier.

Cheers

MalNZ
Williams, Cardiganshire
Morris, Cardiganshire
Evans, Cardiganshire