Author Topic: Thomas Phelan / Esther McCormack 1840s  (Read 4642 times)

Offline tenspar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Phelan / Esther McCormack 1840s
« on: Thursday 26 July 12 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying ( have been trying for a long time now ! ) to trace further back than my gt gt grandparents but am having real trouble.....

gt gt grandad - Thomas Phelan born Queens County / Castle Connor ? Ireland about 1843 - father James Phelan - Woolcomber - dead before 1865

gt gt grandma - Esther McCormack born Dublin / Ireland Bridge ? Ireland about 1843 - father James McCormack - Builder - dead before 1865

They were married in Leeds, Yorkshire in 1865 - Catholic church.

Unfortunately that is all I have other than that the witnesses were Bridget Cox and Hayster Slatry ?

They were married at Mount St Mary Leeds which I have researched and it appears is was a church formed for the vast number of Irish who were living in the area ?

I know it's a long shot but does anyone recognise any of these details ?
Thanks
Mary

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Phelan / Esther McCormack 1840s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 12 19:18 BST (UK) »
For the McCormack / Dublin side of the family, see related topic on the Dublin board :

Esther McCormack bn 1840
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 July 12 19:36 BST (UK) »
gt gt grandad - Thomas Phelan born Queens County / Castle Connor ? Ireland about 1843 - father James Phelan - Woolcomber - dead before 1865

where did the 'Castle Connor' as the birth place for Thomas come from ?

There is a townland named Castleconnor not far from Mountmellick which might be the location being referred to....

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline tenspar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 July 12 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane

It was listed as his birthplace in one of the later census returns. Previously it just said Queens County. This was also the census return that listed Esther as being born in Irelandbridge where previously it said Dublin. Guess the census chap was a bit more thorough lol ?

Mary

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 July 12 19:54 BST (UK) »
Casteconnor is in the civil parish of Offerlane - but seems this seems to have been covered by several RC parishes including Offerlane, Borris-in-Ossory and Camross.

A quick search of the free index on RootsIreland pay-website show 23 Thomas Phelan baptisms in Co. Laois around 1843, at least 4 of these match with father's name James.

It's not clear from their RootsIreland parish list if they include Offerlane or not - or it's listed under an alternate name..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 July 12 20:02 BST (UK) »
Checking the NLI film index shows that Offerlane RC parish is sometimes listed as Castletown - which is included in the RootsIreland source list for Co. Laois.

One of the index records I mentioned is listed in this parish in 1842 - you have to pay to see the full transcript, but father's name definitely matches James, and mother's first name seems to be Ann. The transcript should show her maiden name, the name of two godparents and possible an address - if it does, it will probably be the name of a town or townland.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline MJT29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi -

I am intrigued by the Thomas Phelan & Esther McCormack posts which share similarities (and differences) with my great-great-grandparents:-  Thomas Phelan (1822-1880) who married Ellen(or) McCormack in 1843 in Mountrath, Laois.  I don't know exactly where My Thomas was born - maybe Mountrath or environs or elsewhere in Laois or bordering county. 

He may have had an older brother or 1st cousin - James Phelan whose son Thomas married Esther?
My Thomas's mother was also Ann (b. c1795).  The family emigrated from Mountrath to Leeds in 1851/2.