Author Topic: James Lamb Vicar of Appleby 1698-1720  (Read 11809 times)

Offline Bridgebabe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Lamb Vicar of Appleby 1698-1720
« on: Friday 08 October 10 14:30 BST (UK) »
Looking for details of James Lamb, Vicar of Appleby St Lawrence 1698 -death in 1720. He is in list of incumbents in British History Online and also mentioned as Vicar of Appleby in monumental inscription of his daughter Isabella d1731, married to Rev William Bird. I cannot find James in Oxford/Cambridge alumni lists, nor on CofE Clergy database.  There are later 'Lambs' who were clergymen from this area, and he is the first I have found, and probably there is a family connection?  Would love to know his parentage and wife's details, also if he had other children.  Any help most appreciated - thank you

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Lamb Vicar of Appleby 1698-1720
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Bridgebabe,

I've looked in 'The History & Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland' by Nichols and Burn, 1777 and it confirms what you already have, viz:

"On whose death, in the said year, James Lamb, M.A. was instituted, on the presentation of the dean and chapter.
In 1720 on the death of James Lamb........"

The above is in reference to St. Laurence.

I also had a look in 'The Cumbria Parishes 1714-1725 from Bishop Gastrell's Notitia' published by C&WAAS for ideas. In discussing the state of the archdeaconry of Richmond 1710-30 it says of the 52 clergy for whom details are available 19 were at Oxford, 25 at Cambridge, 4 Trinity College, Dublin, one an M.A., from Aberdeen, while another three had a B.A. but from which university has not been traced.

So could he have been the one with the MA from Aberdeen, or may be he attended Dublin or somewhere else.

A final thought - in the Who Do You Think You Are? programme with Patsy Kensit, her clerical ancestor had some sort of degree that didn't (if I remember correctly) come about in the ordinary way. Perhaps some other rootschatter with a better memory can recall the details 

Brie

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 12:11 BST (UK) »
Bridgebabe,

I've just been reading 'The Cumbria Parishes' further and it seems that not all of present day Cumbria is covered. The archdeaconry of Richmond included Copeland, Furness, Lonsdale and Kendal but not the northern parishes. The archdeaconry of Richmond then lay in the diocese of Chester. At a guess the northern parishes would have been in the diocese of Carlisle and not covered in this book. Sorry.  :(

Brie

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
Bridgebabe,

Have found the land terrier from 1704.

It's from 'Miscellany Accounts of the Diocese of Carlisle, with the Terriers delivered in to me at my primary visitation' by William Nicolson, late Bishop of Carlile.' It was published by C&WAAS in 1877.

The first paragraph reads:

" APPLEBY, St. Lawrence. A Terrier of the Houses, Glebelands, Gardens, Orchards, Tenements, Pensions, Tithes, Augmentations, and other yearly Profits, belonging to the Vicarage of Appleby; Drawn up, or made, by the Order and Appointment of the Rt Revd. Father in God William Ld. Bishop of Carlile, Anno 1704. Ja. Lamb Vic. Ibid."

It then goes on to give the terrier in detail - about three and a half pages. If you would like the full details let me know and I will PM them to you.

There is another reference to him in the book. This is from 1703.

"Some dispute there is betwixt the Dean & Chapter of Carlile and the present Vicar (Mr. Lamb) concerning the Tyth of Sattergate; which the Patrons suppose to be a Renewable Lease, now expired. The Vicar thinks it to be a setled Augmentation; and as such I also take it to be, since 'tis Register'd in their Augmentation-Book in tat matter as the Act of Parliament directs."

So he had the Bishop on his side.  :)

The spelling, punctuation etc is as in the text.

Brie

Offline Bridgebabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Brie,
Very many thanks for your hard work , and for sharing your research .  Would be most grateful for the info in the terrier (being quite new to research I haven't heard of these documents)  I will try to investigate the Dublin and Aberdeen alumni.
  He is the earliest Lamb I have found in the clergy, although there are several later in the family, and I was hoping to find a link.  I think I will need to look at the Appleby records for his marriage (his birth would be a bonus!)  Other Lamb families who sent sons to Oxbridge were in Sandford, Warcop and Soulby, and there are Thomas and Richard Lamb in Appleby mid 1600, mentioned in Hearth Tax records
Thanks again for your help,  Brenda

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'll send it this evening. The villages of Sandford, Warcop & Soulby are, as I'm sure you know, very close to Appleby.

In the meantime I'll keep a weather eye out for Lambs.

Brie

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 January 12 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Bridgebabe
I know that we have talked before about your clerical Lambs and ruled out a couple of possibilities.

There is an entry for your James Lambe at Cambridge although I don't know how correct it is.  He entered Magdalene 27 May 1671 aged 18 and was the son of John Lambe of Foulthorp, Durham etc etc.

Some other information you may already have and otherwise may need checking:
James married to Ursula ? (who was buried on 21 Sep 1715 at Appleby)
and the same source postulates that James may be the brother of Thomas Lamb who married Isabella Robinson (one of the Appleby Robinsons) in 1692.

Any use?
regards
Deborah

Offline Bridgebabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 January 12 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Deborah, I think I have decided that the James Lambe Vicar of Appleby is probably NOT connected to my Lambs.  My clerical Lambs are
James son of John Lamb of Hartley b1753, attended Appleby Grammar School and matric Queens Coll Oxford 1773, a fellow of Queens throughout his life.

Also James son of Thomas Lamb of Soulby b1712. I cannot find him in Oxbridge alumni, but is in the CofEClergy database, as schoolmaster of Winton, then curate at Lunds and 1761-1781 Vicar of Askrigg.

I wonder if Edward Lamb of Sandford who sent sons William, George and Matthew to Queens, Oxford (and George and Matthew were ordained) mid 1700s, and Thomas Lamb of Warcop whose son John went to Queens Oxford at around the same time were related to my Lambs of Soulby and Hartley.  This is the connection I should really like to make!

Thank you for remembering that I am looking into this and for posting the info. Could I ask your source for the Thomas Lamb married to Isabella Robinson as this could be worth following up?

Very many thanks,
Brenda

Offline Deborah Boss

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Brenda
I'm clearly not keeping up with developments!  I was hoping that ultimately you might connect up with my Crosby Ravensworth Lambs in some way.

I came across an online book which is all about the Robinsons of Appleby (White House).  One of this family caused the phrase "quicker than you can say Jack Robinson" and definitely connects with Crosby.  The book doesn't cite any sources for its hypothesis but who knows - it may help.
regards
Deborha