Author Topic: Abbotshall Parish, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Mary Scott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Abbotshall Parish, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland
« on: Sunday 25 May 14 14:55 BST (UK) »
What denomination was this church in 1841 when my GGG grandfather was buried here?  Would only parishioners be buried in a church yard or people who lived in the immediate area?

Offline Sheena-Ann Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Abbotshall Parish, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 January 15 11:04 GMT (UK) »
"Abbotshall parish lies on the Firth of Forth, bounded by Kirkcaldy, Kinghorn, Auchtertool, Auchterderran and Dysart. It is about 4 miles long by 2.5 miles broad. The great majority of the inhabitants live in Linktown, a burgh of regality under Colonel Ferguson of Raith. It is part of the parliamentary burgh of Kirkcaldy and forms a continuation of it. The small village of Chapel is also in the parish. The parish shares fully in the trade and manufactures of Kirkcaldy. In the Linktown, there is a gas work, a pottery, a brick and tile work, some hundred of hand looms, a sail canvas manufactory, a linen bleachfield, a dye works, spinning mills and a number of corn mills. In addition to the parish church, there are a UP Church and 2 Free Churches at Abbotshall and Invertiel." edited from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife & Kinross published 1862.
Hope this helps?

Offline Mary Scott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Abbotshall Parish, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 January 15 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  I did get over to Kirkcaldy last June and it was thrilling for me.  To stand at my GG Grandfather's gravemarker in a foreign land was just a very thrilling moment.  Unfortunately, I don't know where to go from there but hopefully one day I'll figure it out.  I really appreciate you're taking the time to send me that background info on Kirkcaldy.
Have a wonderful day.
Mary