Author Topic: PICKERING/PICKERAM and WILSON  (Read 16887 times)

Offline susieque129

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PICKERING/PICKERAM and WILSON
« Reply #18 on: Friday 14 August 09 13:09 BST (UK) »
I have had some success on the LDS site with finding two of my ggg-grandfather's children.  There place of birth is listed as Aughrim, Woods Chapel, Londonderry.  William John Pickerin b. 02 Dec, 1827 and Mary Jane Pickerin b. 04 Apr, 1829.

I am sure that James Pickering (or any variant spelling of the name) and Sarah (Glassey) had more children born in this area of Ireland before leaving for Canada.  My gg-grandfather, John Simpson Pickering was born in 1843, enroute.  That makes 16 years between the birth of Wm and John. 

I also wonder about John's middle name, Simpson, and how it may fit into the picture.  Is Simpson a common name from this area?   Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks

Susieque129
Pickering/Pickeram/Brown/Smith

Offline The Searcher2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 November 09 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
My surname is Pickering. I was born(1945) and brought up in Castledawson; County Londonderry; N. Ireland. This is a village approx.2/3 miles from Magherafelt and Aughrim. Woods Chapel as referred to, should read Woods Church. Pickeram should read Pickering. This mis-pronounciation was due to accent/bad diction. (The same confusion occured when my own father travelled to Philadelphia in the late twenties).I have just started to research my ancestory and I am sure that we are linked in some way. My father was named William James as was my grandfather and great-grandfather. I am sure the Aghadowey and County Down connections are a different branch.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 November 09 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. I've no connections to this family but was merely posting on the thread. You'll find Woods Chapel mentioned in old records like this bit from Lewis' Topographical Dictionary:
www.libraryireland.com/Lewis/LewisW/24-WOODS-CHAPEL.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 November 09 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Very pleased to hear from you. Yes I agree we must be related. Can you give me dates for your various William James Pickerings.

Carol
Searching for BREEDS/BREADS, FARNDELL, JOY, DOBELL, FARMER, FRIEND, AUSTIN/AUSTEN, KENNARD, BRITCHER, WATERS, EAST, KIRBY in Kent and East Sussex,  also JENNINGS, BELL, COULTAS  in Yorkshire

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 November 09 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Carol,
         The information which you are looking for is a bit early for Irish records. However in your original post you expressed an interest in the names Lavender and Wilson. I have found
John Lavender married Esther PICKRAM in Woods Chapel Church of Ireland 16 Feb 1850 and
Henry Pickering married Isabella Wilson in Castledawson Presbyterian Church 28 Dec 1877

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline susieque129

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 November 09 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello;

I believe we are connected as well.  My James' first born being William...

James had a son John, who had a daughter he named Esther.   It is difficult to find any concrete info on my James and Sarah because of the time frame they were born and the lost records in the fire at the archives.
Pickering/Pickeram/Brown/Smith

Offline land5

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I too have a Pickering/Wilson connection.  My great great grandparents were Henry Pickering & Isabella Wilson and thanks to this thread, I found out their exact marriage date (thanks kingskerswell).  I believe they had 9 children, 1 being my great grandmother, Margaret Pickering, who ended up in Staten Island, NY.  I have taken 2 trips to this area (N. Antrim) from the US and have fallen in love with the place.  I can't believe I was so close to Magherafelt and so much family history and didn't even know it.  Can't wait to make the next trip & learn more.  I do have some other names & dates if any of my "cousins" are interested:)

Offline AthenasMoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have Pickering ancestors from the same area too.

Foxglove, I am wondering if your Frances Pickering is a brother of my greatx4 grandfather Benjamin Pickering? He is listed living with his brothers Frances and George Pickering in the griffiths valuation. His son George also moved to Scotland.

Land5, George is the brother of your great great grandfather Henry Pickering. Georges son Samuel used Henry and Isabella as his contactable address in Ireland when he lived in Scotland :)

I am interested to share more and find out more about the Pickerings

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 November 18 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Land5,
I have come across Pickerings in my research. I do have Henry Pickering and Isabella Wilson but didn't have their daughter Margaret. I did have 8 other childfren. Can you tell me when Margaret was born? thanks
Peggy

Quote -  My great great grandparents were Henry Pickering & Isabella Wilson and thanks to this thread, I found out their exact marriage date (thanks kingskerswell).  I believe they had 9 children, 1 being my great grandmother, Margaret Pickering, who ended up in Staten Island, NY.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland