Author Topic: smallwoods  (Read 14517 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: smallwoods
« Reply #27 on: Friday 30 November 12 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Have been pondering over this one again, and still falling in favour of Joseph Smallwoods and Eliza Simpson as parents of the Isabella Bovaird Smallwoods who married William James Hamilton. Putting my thoughts here again, in case any of the other Smallwoods researchers have found any further evidence since last posting.

At 1901 census, William James Hamilton is at home with his parents, William and Martha  in Gortnaskey townland http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Bondsglen/Gortnaskey/1527301/ - note two of his siblings being a Mary and a John.
By 1911 he is with new wife Isabella and first child at Killenan townland http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Tamnaherin/Killennan/599143/ Note property number is shown as 12, at 1901 Joseph and Eliza's property was shown as 12 (I realise the numbers are not always accurate).
Of the few other families in Killenan townland at 1911, one is that of Joseph and Eliza Smallwoods, with a Mary Hamilton as servant http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Tamnaherin/Killennan/599134/
and also in Kilennan at 1911 is a John Hamilton, servant  http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Tamnaherin/Killennan/599141/.
Allowing for usual age discrepancies in census, this Mary and John could be William James' siblings.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 20 June 13 15:41 BST (UK) »
Have now, using rootsireland search, which allows for including a father's name, managed to confirm that a Joseph Smallwoods was indeed noted as father of Isabella Bovaird Smallwoods, so looking more and more likely that earlier research indications were correct and that this is she (If this is the case, I supppose it is always possible that as well as being the surname of his first wife, Bovaird may also have been a name linked to Joseph's family too,  from a grandmother or suchlike):

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Tamnaherin/Killennan/1528214/

Obviously, if anyone ever manages to get sight of the marriage record, an address on same may prove the final confirmation. 

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline jcass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 30 January 14 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
So James is my great granddads (joseph) older brother. That's one line of these confusing Smallwoods cleared up.  Scots mum have you ever found a birth for Samuel his parents are Samuel and Elizabeth (Dollas). Have both his marriages and death but not his birth.
J

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 January 14 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I've seen children from a second marriage being named after first wife- including the surname.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 January 14 23:36 GMT (UK) »
  Scots mum have you ever found a birth for Samuel his parents are Samuel and Elizabeth (Dollas).
J

It was pre civil registration, but I would hope it might be in the records for Dungiven Presbyterian Church (but haven't had opportunity to check those yet), where his parents married,  albeit as you know, his next sibling, James, was baptised at Lower Cumber.  Baptism records for the Dungiven church apparently exist from 1835 onward.

I may have sent a copy of the 1857 marriage entry for Samuel and Elizabeth to you back in 2008 (kindly obtained for me by another researcher) , if not, let me know. I also have a copy of the death certificate for Elizabeth's mother, who was also an Elizabeth. Again, let me know if I haven't previously sent you a copy.

Interesting to hear that you have come across such occurrences, aghadowey.

Offline jcass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 31 January 14 21:13 GMT (UK) »
hi Scotmum
Could you possibly resend to me, cant seem to find it and change computer and having trouble opening some saved documents.
Found james and the rest of the family at Lower Cumber and assumed Samuel would have been there now wish I had checked Presbyterian when I had the chance.
Thanks J

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 02 February 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I've sent the copies to you...hope the email address I had is still current. If you have changed address and don't receive them, send me a PM via here with your new email address.

Offline jcass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 02 February 14 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Got them. many thanks
J

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 16:59 BST (UK) »
Have now, using rootsireland search, which allows for including a father's name, managed to confirm that a Joseph Smallwoods was indeed noted as father of Isabella Bovaird Smallwoods, so looking more and more likely that earlier research indications were correct and that this is she (If this is the case, I supppose it is always possible that as well as being the surname of his first wife, Bovaird may also have been a name linked to Joseph's family too,  from a grandmother or suchlike):

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Tamnaherin/Killennan/1528214/

Obviously, if anyone ever manages to get sight of the marriage record, an address on same may prove the final confirmation.

Marriage certificate confirms Isabella's address as Killenan.