Author Topic: Pottagh  (Read 20629 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pottagh
« Reply #36 on: Friday 04 July 14 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Mention of the Canadian Custs brought the following to mind.

From the Londonderry Sentinal of 5 Nov 1858.  " on the 7th ult at Peterboro', Canada West, Mossom Boyd Esq. son of the late Captain Gardner Boyd and nephew of  Lt. Gen. Boyd H.E.I.C.S. to Letitia Magee, only daughter of the late Henry Cust  Esq. Magilligan and niece of Major Gen. Blackall, Bengal Army."

On 17 May 1808 Henry Cust had married Mary Blackall in Magilligan Church of Ireland.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline mbxled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 04 July 14 15:18 BST (UK) »
James CUST (1855-1901) and Rose Ann ALLEN CUST (1864-1929) were my great-grandparents. I've been tracing them back to when Henry CUST (1646-1716/17) and Margaret JONES CUST came from Yorkshire. I have some holes in that lineage and I've been trying to fill them in. I can get back to William Cust (1795-1868) and Rose LOGUE CUST (1796-1878). Can you help? Do you know who Hudson CUSTs parents were? I've come across a Hodgson CUST but I can't find where he fits either? Could he be your Hudson CUST? Any info you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

There was a Hodson Wilson - spelled with an 'o' in the 1831 census of Dunboe parish, Co. Londonderry. He was the son of Charles Wilson and Elizabeth Cust.  "Hodson" was probably a family name, and there's been discussion about the name having once been Hodgson, but through variations in pronunciation has become Hudson.

o

Offline mef518

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 24 May 15 22:07 BST (UK) »
While I am not descended from the Wilsons, i AM very interested in the history of Pottagh.  My grandmother, Elizabeth Eagleson Farley, married John Wilson as a widow with 5 children in 1919.  My father was the youngest of those children and grew up on Pottagh;  John Wilson was the only father he really knew.  We went to visit my grandmother at Pottagh twice during the '50s.  Pottagh was willed by my grandmother to my father when she died in 1962.  While my father wished to retain the farm, it was too hard to maintain it from the States, where he had lived for many years.  He sold it to a family that still lives there.  We have visited Pottagh several times since, the last time just this month.  You may know that the RAF took over the farm, relegating John and Lizzie Wilson to just the house, during the war.  This website shows the bunkers that remain (scroll down to Castlerock Chain Home Station): http://ww2ni.webs.com/countylondonderrypt3.htm

I am part of that Wilson Family from Pottagh.   My branch descends from  Charles Wilson and Elizabeth Cust Wilson to  Hudson Cust Wilson (Charles jr.'s brother) to the son of Hudson Cust Wilson and Sarah Thompson whose name was Thomas. Thomas moved to the US and married Mary MacLean (daughter of Alexander MacLean and Elizabeth Swan). According to a letter I have from Thomas: Pottagh was in the family for over 200 years by 1856, he assumed that all Wilsons living at Pottagh had died or left Ireland.  We believe that the John Wilson wing of the family stayed on at Pottagh until John Wilson died in 1943 and his stepchildren left in 1963.

Offline Kin-Sleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 25 May 15 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi  mef518, Thank you for the post.  FYI, I am a WILSON descendant via a second marriage of John WILSON's ancestor, Charles WILSON.  While I personally did not know of the RAF use of the property which I first heard about in 2014, I will add the link to my collection.  Some of my half & full cousins may contact you to further clarify the history from your perspective when they read the post as your information does add to the WILSON family's long history of residence at Pottagh.
LDY, IRL -MOODY, DICK, HOPKINS, PAT(T)ON, MEHARG, SMITH, WILSON, COCHRAN(E), CUST, REYNOLDS,
ANT, IRL - WILSON, MONTGOMERY, MILLER, LIVINGSTONE

Offline mef518

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 29 May 15 02:17 BST (UK) »
I would be happy to hear from any of the Wilsons.  Sadly, there were no children in the last generation living at Pottagh (John Leslie or his 2 sisters) so the line died out, which is why his step-son (my father) inherited the estate.

Hi  mef518, Thank you for the post.  FYI, I am a WILSON descendant via a second marriage of John WILSON's ancestor, Charles WILSON.  While I personally did not know of the RAF use of the property which I first heard about in 2014, I will add the link to my collection.  Some of my half & full cousins may contact you to further clarify the history from your perspective when they read the post as your information does add to the WILSON family's long history of residence at Pottagh.

Offline mbxled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 29 May 15 02:35 BST (UK) »
Hi mef518, I descend from James Wilson of Articlave who emigrated to NY in 1839, eventually making  his way to Catasauqua, Lehigh CO., PA by way of Mauch Chunk, Carbon CO., PA. His brother was John Alexander Wilson, also of Articlave, and he emigrated in 1846.  I have no documented proof of my connection to the Wilsons of Pottagh, but the proximity of the two families in Dunboe is interesting to say the least. 

I would be happy to hear from any of the Wilsons.  Sadly, there were no children in the last generation living at Pottagh (John Leslie or his 2 sisters) so the line died out, which is why his step-son (my father) inherited the estate.

Offline RichardinMichigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 05 June 15 23:08 BST (UK) »
There is an early Dunboe Parish will for James Cochran of " Patock in Dunbo" dated 6 November 1744 proved 21 July 1746 in which his son-in-law, John Wilson is listed as his sole executor.  This marriage of the Wilson family into the Cochran clan may account for the later "Cochran Wilson" found at Pottagh. 

My Cochran ancestors lived around Limavady and had a handful of children baptized at Ballykelly -- where, in 1709 one James Cochran "of Dunbo" married a Margaret Giffin/Giffen.  It's possible they were the parents-in-law of John Wilson.

Incidentally, one of the persistent DNA matches I have received through my ancestry.com test is through members of the Wilson family!  Our branch must have mixed it up with the Wilsons sometime back!

Richard Cochran
Big Rapids, Michigan

Offline Kin-Sleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 11 June 15 06:53 BST (UK) »
There is an early Dunboe Parish will for James Cochran of " Patock in Dunbo" dated 6 November 1744 proved 21 July 1746 in which his son-in-law, John Wilson is listed as his sole executor.  This marriage of the Wilson family into the Cochran clan may account for the later "Cochran Wilson" found at Pottagh.

Hi RichardinMichigan,  this will along with the will of John Wilson (d. about 1781) were discussed during 2014 by various descendants of Charles Wilson who is the younger brother of the John Wilson discussed above .  I was particularly interested in this document as I am a descendant of Cochran Wilson and I & other close relatives have been wondering about the origin of the Cochran name.  I will attempt to send you a private message in the near future in order to ask some additional questions.
LDY, IRL -MOODY, DICK, HOPKINS, PAT(T)ON, MEHARG, SMITH, WILSON, COCHRAN(E), CUST, REYNOLDS,
ANT, IRL - WILSON, MONTGOMERY, MILLER, LIVINGSTONE

Offline mbxled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 11 June 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks - we have the will abstract you mention. If anything mentioning the parents of either James Cochran or John Wilson who married Jean Cochran, we'd appreciate knowing about it.

Hi RichardinMichigan,  this will along with the will of John Wilson (d. about 1781) were discussed during 2014 by various descendants of Charles Wilson who is the younger brother of the John Wilson discussed above .  I was particularly interested in this document as I am a descendant of Cochran Wilson and I & other close relatives have been wondering about the origin of the Cochran name.  I will attempt to send you a private message in the near future in order to ask some additional questions.