Author Topic: George RICHARDSON & Elizabeth BURTON  (Read 7862 times)

Offline MissyJ137

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George RICHARDSON & Elizabeth BURTON
« on: Sunday 20 October 13 06:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for information about George RICHARDSON and his wife Elizabeth BURTON. They may have married about 1815-16 and some of their children were born in the Roxburghshire area, possibly in Robertson or Hawick.

The only details that I have are of the birth dates of some of their children:
17 Oct 1816 Margaret
18 Feb 1818 William
02 Mar 1820 Helen
10 Jul 1821 Henry- immigrated to Australia
10 Feb 1823 John - immigrated to Australia

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MissyJ
Jenkins, Pyke, Percy, Peck, Thomas, Davies, Hyne

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George RICHARDSON & Elizabeth BURTON
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 October 13 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hi MissyJ,

Have you found the couple on any of the Censuses? I can see a couple George and Elizabeth Richardson living at Roberton on the 1841.

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 October 13 07:49 BST (UK) »
1841 Census

Wester Parkhill - Roberton

George Richardson    age 48    Agricultural Labourer     born outside Census County
Elizabeth Richardson  age 50                                       born Roxburghshire
Margaret Richardson age  20                                                 "
Elizabeth Grieve        age 2                                                    "
Helen Robson           age 1                                                     "

No family relationships are recorded on the 1841 Census but I would guess that this is a married couple and their daughter with 2 probably illegitimate granddaughters.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 October 13 07:55 BST (UK) »
i think that you have the wrong surname for the mother.
I suggest that you look at the surname "Haliburton".

Regards

Malky

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 October 13 08:02 BST (UK) »
This I think is the same George Richardson as my previous post on the 1851 Census
Address - Parkhill, Roberton

George Richardson        age 57   Widower  Agricultural Labourer   p.o.b.  Selkirkshire, Yarrow
Walter Robson              age 31    Son-in law  Agric. Lab               p.o.b  Roxburghshire, Hawick
Margaret Robson           age 31    Dau                                                  Roxburghshire, Roberton
Elizabeth Grieve             age 12   Granddau  Scholar                                      "
Helen Robson                age 10    "                 "                                            "
Margaret Robson           age  8     "                 "                                            "
Anne Robson                 age 3     "                                                               "
Walter Robson             age 2 mon Grandson                                                 "

Elizabeth has obviously died between Censuses. Daughter Margaret and Walter Robson go on to have more children, you can find them on Familysearch though interestingly the couple didn't marry till 1847 so their first two daughters were born out with marriage. Here's a link to their marriage.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYQP-FY1

Offline MissyJ137

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 October 13 09:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I had found the 1851 census and wondered if it was the correct family but couldn't find one in 1841 that appeared to match. It gives me an approximate age and p.o.b for him too, which is great.

Malky, the information that I'm using is from Henry's death certificate, so the surname may have originally been HALIBURTON and not been recorded correctly. It could be the reason I haven't been able to find a marriage for George and Elizabeth!

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 October 13 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi MissyJ,
I can't see a marriage for George Richardson and Elizabeth Haliburton on Familysearch but the birth/christening records of Margaret, Helen, William, Henry and John are there.
I'm not 100% sure the families I've found on www.freecen.org.uk are the ones you are looking for but they do look like strong candidates. Finding Margaret Robson's death certificate would give you with luck her parents names and tie you in to George and Elizabeth. Margaret Robson must have died after 1855 as she has a son Andrew in 1856  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQND-5R8  so there should be a death registration for her :)
Good luck with your research,

Offline MissyJ137

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 03:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Looby. I can track her through the censuses until 1891, but can't find a death for her yet, but at least I know it has to be before 1901.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 20:00 BST (UK) »
Missyj137 They are buried at Borthwick Wa"s Churchyard Roberton,
It reads George Richardson died at deanburnhaugh 10-11-1871 aged 78yrs Elezabeth Burton wife of George Richardson who died at Wester Parkhill 23rd March 1824 aged 30yrs also William their son died July 1825 aged 7yrs and Helen heir daughter who died at Edinburgh October 1842 aged 21yrs also Elizabeth Henry his second wife who died at Wester Parkhill 29-9-1846 aged 64yrs Walter Robson,roadman who died at 13 Dakers PlaCE HAWICK 26-8-1897 AGED 77YRS ALSO Margaret Richardson his wife who died at 13 Dakers Place Hawick 8th July 1894 aged 77yrs

Hope this helps
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders