Author Topic: Attempting to confirm the identity of my grandfather, Herbert Harry Hailstone  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Sunnee_Dee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to confirm the identity of my grandfather, Herbert Harry Hailstone
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where/when Emma was born and have you located her at any point prior to the birth of Herbert in 1911?

I ask as there is an Emma Parker, servant, living two streets away from Herbert H Hailstone in Burton on Trent on the 1911.

Not sure how much detail I'm allowed to share from the 1911 so I've erred on the side of caution and not gone into details but it's a quick search to find her, with another possible family member there too :)

Worth a look maybe?
Allibon(e) - Warwickshire (Burton Dasset, Pillerton Priors/Heresy, Radford Semele, Barford)
Ballard - Worcestershire
Phillips - Swansea
Cook - Malvern
Williams - Scotland (Glasgow)
Josephs - Jamaica (Spanish Town)

Offline RogFromBrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to confirm the identity of my grandfather, Herbert Harry Hailstone
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Sunnee_Dee. That's an intriguing thought but unfortunately the Emma Parker living in Stapenhill Road, Burton-On-Trent, is 7-8 years too young to be my grandmother. I'm reasonably certain that my Emma Parker was an inmate of the Birmingham Workhouse in the 1911 census. She was born in 1882 and appears in the census as a single woman, aged 28, born in West Bromwich. I've traced her back in earlier censuses.

She would have been about 7 months pregnant at the time of the 1911 census so may have found it difficult to get employment.

Thanks for taking the time to do a search.
Parker, Nokes, Jackson, Hailstone, Murray, Fiske, Bodycot, Marshall
Leicestershire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Yorkshire

Offline Sunnee_Dee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 January 14 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes I thought after I posted that she'd be unlikely to still be working at that point, particularly as a domestic servant.

Shame though!

Allibon(e) - Warwickshire (Burton Dasset, Pillerton Priors/Heresy, Radford Semele, Barford)
Ballard - Worcestershire
Phillips - Swansea
Cook - Malvern
Williams - Scotland (Glasgow)
Josephs - Jamaica (Spanish Town)