Author Topic: Percival Norman Thorn.1931-2003.Did he marry his 1st wifes daughter?Need answers  (Read 7346 times)

Offline zoolane

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Grandparents Oliver Thorn & Winifred Smith.
    • View Profile
Hi Jaywit....
What if My Dad, Percy never Married either of them????
I`m up a gum tree, am I not???
Brenda
Thorn,Critchley,Smith,Bonehill,Rainbow,Upton.
Associated Families in Snitterfield and Stratford,Shipston on Stour
Wright Family of Wrights Ropes Ltd.,

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Percival Norman Thorn.1931-2003.Did he marry his 1st wifes daughter?Need answers
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 April 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

What if My Dad, Percy never Married either of them?

We do know that Percy married Marjorie in 1956 - we can post this as she died in 1966

March quarter 1956

Critchley    Marjorie    Thorn    Cheadle    9b   489    
Thorn    Percival N    Critchley    Cheadle    9b   489

However, there is no later marriage for a Percival Norman Thorn, unless it happened as Jaywit said outside of England and Wales.

Just another thought - who registered your father's death, was it someone who knew him well? Modern death certificates often give the name of the husband or wife, but obviously only if this was known.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zoolane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Percival Norman Thorn.1931-2003.Did he marry his 1st wifes daughter?Need answers
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 April 14 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Groom.
It was I that Registered Percys Death so there is no other information, other than what I provided, on it....So no joy there.
So Percy Married Marjorie!!! Who died in 1966!!!! Did she have any children??? If so, was my mom one of the children???
How can I find this out???
Brenda

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 April 14 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi zoolane,

You can find out about the children that Percy and Marjorie had by using www.freebmd.org.uk

On the search form, click 'birth', and then put in surname Thorn and mothers surname Critch*.  In the date boxes, put from 1940 to 1970.  If you then press search, you should find that you have 4 children registered between 1956 and 1967, all with surname Thorn and mother's maiden name of Critchley.

You can use this technique to find children of marriages from 1911 onwards when mother's maiden names were indexed too.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 April 14 11:50 BST (UK) »
From my first reply on this thread:

Have you tried looking for marriages in Freebmd as you know the surnames of both parties? You can also find children from these marriages.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

There is only one marriage shown for this man and that is in 1956. However there are 4 births of children with the same parents' surnames in 1956, 1964, 1965 and 1967. You may recognise the names, but we cant put them on here as they are probably all still alive.

Offline zoolane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 April 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi spidermonkey...
Did as you suggested but found that No.4 child does not match!!!
No. 4 Child cannot be Marjories as she died in 1966 and No 4 Child was born in 1967!!!
Other children match so where to go from now????
Brenda

Everyone tells me that Marjorie died in 1966...Can this date be incorrect????...Must be if she had a child in 1967!!!

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 April 14 13:52 BST (UK) »
Yes - the last child is a little curious.  It  might be something like Marjorie dying in childbirth, and in the grief and chaos the new born isn't registered, or it might be something else (including, a complete coincidence).

I would be interested to see if Marjorie had been married previously - there is a bit of an age gap, and it is a rather late marriage for her if the Thorn marriage was the first one.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 April 14 13:58 BST (UK) »
There is a long gap between Marjorie's death in the December quarter of 1966 and the registration on the child in the September quarter 1967. It is possible that the registration was overlooked, but the only way that you would know for sure is to get the birth certificate. Do you recognise any of the names?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 April 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
I would be interested to see if Marjorie had been married previously - there is a bit of an age gap, and it is a rather late marriage for her if the Thorn marriage was the first one.

There is this birth which fits with the date given on her death.

Marjorie Critchley
Mother's Maiden Surname:   Booth
Sep quarter 1918
West Derby Lancashire
8b  999