Author Topic: Help me find my Family the Duncan's and Cockburns from lochwinnoch  (Read 2146 times)

Offline lucyduncan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help me find my Family the Duncan's and Cockburns from lochwinnoch
« on: Friday 15 August 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new to this but I am trying to find my family. My name is Lucy Duncan.
My Grandfather was James Duncan born 8/8/1930 and he was married to Isabella Stillie Duncan I think her D.O.B is 30/1/1931, They were married on the 3/8/1951 at St Johns Parish Church of Scotland they lived in Lochwinnoch.
His Brothers are John and George.
My Grandmothers mother was Janet Cockburn who was a dairymaid and her husband was Hugh Cockburn and he was a blacksmith.
My Grandfather James and my Grandmother Isabella came to New Zealand in 1958 with my father James Duncan and my Uncle Hugh Duncan. They travelled on a ocean liner Named the Captain Cook and it was the ships last journey. Where they settled in the Manawatu region and had 4 more sons named William, Bruce, Craig and Fraser.
Hope this helps!!!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find my Family the Duncan's and Cockburns from lochwinnoch
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 August 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

The type of info you are looking for will only be available on Scotlands People which is a pay to view website via purchase of credits   www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

By obtaining a copy of James & Isabella's marriage cert you will get your great grandparents names plus the names of your great great grandparents  plus the maiden names of all females

This will enable you to look up their marriages to get the same info re: their parents.  Basically - you just work backwards from the info you already know

The 1911 census is available on Scotlands People and you should be able to find some info on it on some or all of those people.

Please feel free to post 1911 details and we can then help you with census info prior to then

Can I just mention that the names of any living persons should not be shown on Rootschat for privacy reasons
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Wayne Cockburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi. My name is Wayne Cockburn, and I am the great grandson of Janet & Hugh Cockburn of Lochwinnoch. My grandfather was Hugh Thow Cockburn (Blacksmith b1924) who went on to marry Doreen McEvoy. They had 2 sons - Hugh (my father) and Robert. They travelled to NZ on the "SS Oronsay" and settled in the Manawatu!!

My grandparents have both passed away (am presently trying to source my grandfathers millitary records from WWII). Jimmy and Isabelle I believe are my great aunty and uncle.

So I am now trying to work out how that manifests as our relationship!

Offline lucyduncan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 04:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Wayne, Wow I have so many Questions. I just rung my dad and he said he did have two cousins that came to live in Palmerston North one named Hugh and the other they called Bobby could that be your uncle Robert? Also he said his uncle Hugh was married to a lady called Doreen. Janet Cockburn was my Great Grandmother too. (Janet who we called Gran was really short and loved hokey pokey ice cream and dad told me she read tea leafs.
My dad doesn't have a family tree and I am on a mission to create one so our heritage doesn't get forgotten.
I was raised and live in the Manawatu is your Family still around these parts?
I think we are 3rd Cousins!

Offline Wayne Cockburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 August 14 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy. have just spoken to my father as well, and it certainly all adds up!
I only vaguely remember my Great Grandmother (Janet) however what you say about HP Icecream and tea leaves is remembered by my folks as well.
My family is still in the region yes, however I left that area back in the early '90s, moving all around NZ with work, settling in the Bay of Plenty.
Dad is certainly keen to catch up with his cousin and re-acquaint - he seems to think he hasnt seen him since Janet died (1986) so there is no doubt some catching up to do.
Not sure what the best way to provide details is, but not sure we can put contact details on here?
Cheers

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 August 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
Once you have made 3 posts you can send a personal message by clicking on the person's name.
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline Wayne Cockburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 August 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Terri. I guess this is my 3rd post!