Author Topic: Samuel Ward born c1771 died 27 Aug 1831 Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury  (Read 5464 times)

Offline denyse_aus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Ward born c1771 died 27 Aug 1831 Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury
« on: Saturday 06 July 13 06:07 BST (UK) »
Seeking births & marriage of Samuel Ward, born c1771 & his wife Ann born c1774, please.

"On the 27th ult., at the house of her nephew, Mr. James Crew, solicitor, of Prince Edwin-street, Everton, Ann, relict of the late Samuel Ward, Esq., of Shrewsbury, aged 67 years"
Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser September 04, 1841
(James Crewe & wife Jessie were my 3xgt-grandparents)
==========
"In his 60th year, at Shrewsbury, Samuel Ward, Esq. 22 years Captain and Adjutant in the Shrewsbury and South Salopian Regiments of Yeomanry Cavalry."  Oxford Journal August 27, 1831.
=========
"On Tuesday morning, in his 60th year, at his residence, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, universally respected, Samuel Ward, Esq. 22 years captain and adjutant in the Shrewsbury and South Salopian Regiments of Yeomanry Cavalry" Staffordshire Advertiser August 20, 1831
CHS: Boulderstone, Lomas, Bracegirdle, Worsencroft, Whitelegg, Jones, Simpson, Harding, Walley, Crewe<br />LAN: Butterworth, Holme, Brierley, Hoyle, Keary, Taylor, Bonney, Winterbottom, Bennison, Roscoe<br />W/MIDS: Stringer, Gill, Hampton, Hancox, Grainger, Parkes, Bodily, Jeavons, Ellis, Troman<br />MSX, LON, SRY: Stoner, Russell, Colebrook, Deighton, Husher, Bonney, Knott, Boatwright, Woodman, Smith<br />CLA: Quinn, Creedy, McGrath, McInerney, Arkins<br />COR: Lenihan, Connor, Byrne, Welsh<br

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Ward born c1771 died 27 Aug 1831 Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 July 13 16:50 BST (UK) »
He left a will in the PCC:

Samuel Ward   Shrewsbury , Shropshire   NULL   Shropshire   Captain in the Shropshire Yeomanry Cavalry   1832-03-31   PROB 11/1798   /documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=261427...   1   261427

This is ava. from the Nat. Archives site for a few £. May give clues. If there are any links to Kinnerley, Llanyblodwell & Montford I would be interested in hearing them. I have Samuel Wards there.

Offline denyse_aus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 July 13 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks, David. I have his will & my James Crewe & Jessey Munro Thompson were witnesses to his will 2 years before they married.
CHS: Boulderstone, Lomas, Bracegirdle, Worsencroft, Whitelegg, Jones, Simpson, Harding, Walley, Crewe<br />LAN: Butterworth, Holme, Brierley, Hoyle, Keary, Taylor, Bonney, Winterbottom, Bennison, Roscoe<br />W/MIDS: Stringer, Gill, Hampton, Hancox, Grainger, Parkes, Bodily, Jeavons, Ellis, Troman<br />MSX, LON, SRY: Stoner, Russell, Colebrook, Deighton, Husher, Bonney, Knott, Boatwright, Woodman, Smith<br />CLA: Quinn, Creedy, McGrath, McInerney, Arkins<br />COR: Lenihan, Connor, Byrne, Welsh<br

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 July 13 22:26 BST (UK) »
2nd thought.

Have you looked at the military attestation papers on FindMYpast? They include places of birth.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 00:44 BST (UK) »
I imagine you have the marriage by now of Samuel Ward to Ann Crewe, Nov 25 1795, Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NLWS-6JZ

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline denyse_aus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 00:49 BST (UK) »
I had the marriage, thanks.  :)

Offline denyse_aus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 00:52 BST (UK) »
David, I don't have the military attestation papers for Samuel Ward.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 00:54 BST (UK) »
ahh, yes, I see now that it was added in this other thread ... http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=681294.0

However, you hadn't replied onto this thread that you'd found the information you'd requested.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline denyse_aus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 01:16 BST (UK) »
Between 1780 -1807 Thomas Munro spent most of his military life in India.
1807 -1814 Thomas Munro was in Scotland.
Thomas was my 4XGREAT-GRANDFATHER

1810 Thomas Munro and a woman not yet known to me had a dau Jessey Scott Thompson who was MY 3XGREAT-GRANDMOTHER.

1814 Major General, Thomas Munro , married Jane Campbell and they moved to India. They had 2 sons. (one born at sea & one born in Scotland)
I don't know who Jessey lived with 1810-1816.

1816 a friend of Thomas Munro named Colonel William Cunningham arranged for Jessie Thompson, Thomas' illegitimate daughter to be raised by friends. Thomas always acknowledged Jessey & paid for her maintenance, education & marriage & gave her a £70 annuity which was increased to £100 after his death & approved by his legitimate son & heir.

Jessie was placed with Samuel Ward, Captain of the Shrewsbury Yeomen Cavalry and his wife Ann, nee Crewe. Jessie was then about 6 years old.

1825 Major General, Thomas Munro, Governor of Madras, was created a baronet.

1827 Major General, Sir Thomas Munro 1st Baronet of Lindertis, Governor of Madras, died of cholera in Madras. He left a bequest for illegitimate dau Jessey Scott Thompson in his will.

1831 Jessey Munro Scott Thompson and James Crewe (nephew of Ann Ward) witnessed Samuel Ward's will.

1831 Samuel Ward died

1833 James Crewe and Jessey Munro Scott Thompson married & had 4 children 1834-1839

1834 Samuel Ward Crewe was born to James and Jessey

1836 Mary Jessey Crewe was born to James and Jessey. Mary Jessey died 1836

1838 James Richard Crewe was born to James and Jessey. James Richard died 1839

1839 Jessey Munro Crewe was born to James Crewe and Jessey was my MY 2XGREAT-GRANDMOTHER
Ann Ward, nee Crewe, widowed since 1831, moved into the home of James Crewe & wife Jessey sometime before 1851

1841 Jessey Crewe, nee Thompson, died

1841 Ann Ward nee Crewe, widow of Samuel Ward, died in the home of nephew James Crewe & his wife Jessey, who was raised by Anne & Samuel Ward

1843 James Crewe died

Upon his death his daughter, another Jessey Munro Crewe (4yrs) & her brother Samuel Ward Crewe (9yrs) became orphans, so they would have been fostered to someone, as their mother had been! I have Jessey Munro Crewe in a small ladies' school in 1851 (12yrs) & 1861 (21 yrs) census, until she emigrated to Australia & married 3 weeks later! What a family line!