Author Topic: RAF AMES 504 Dingli Cliff Malta  (Read 45303 times)

Offline bill247

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF AMES 504 Dingli Cliff Malta
« Reply #63 on: Friday 26 October 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon, Bill 247 here and have just read your post .   As for your post i am afraid that i cannot help you regarding the relay systems between Malta and uk.   I started this post a few years ago to try and find info on the RAF No 504 Radar Unit which my Late Dad served on as a Radar Operator at Dingli Cliff   Malta
Over the years i have has help from various people on this website and else where .As for RAF Wardija RAF No 841 Radar Unit from around 1942/43 I believe that it was a G C I  radar station .
I would however like to say that thanks to Anne ( a few messages above )  I have now found after over 3 yrs of searching the exact location at Dingli cliff of my Late Dad 's Radar Unit RAF No 504 COL Radar .      In September this year  i went out to Malta and saw the location of the RAF No 504 Radar and  the barrack buildings where my Dad was located during his almost 3 yrs on the Island (   November 1940 May 1943 )
My Sincere thanks to scrimnet for allowing me to use this site and to everyone especially dee for all their assistance and support .   Thanks to all         Bill 247

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 09 November 12 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Bill I am so glad that all turned out well for you.  ;D It must have been a really emotional pilgramage for you! Take care and I hope that it has helped you understand your dad and that you now feel you know him even better. RIP Bills dad who was an essential part of the RAFs effort in Malta.
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline bill247

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 11 November 12 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Dee,  Thankyou ever so much for your post and also a Huge Thanks for all your help when i started this quest which was much appreciated.  Yes it was an emotional rollercoaster but i had my partner jean with me . Today being remembrance Sunday at the 2 minutes silence my thoughts turned to Malta and the location of My Late Dads Radar and his comrades .  As i said above it was thanks to Anne who's Dad served with mine that both Major Tony Abela who has been helping me and i were finally able to conclude this quest .  Dee, I have been emailing the various people both here in the UK and also in Malta for their help which has been immense . The main problem we found was lack of Air Ministry material to help us .  Any how Dee , Thank you again  for all your help and i hope that you can continue to assist people like you helped me in the early days .  Take care and keep well.
  Warmest wishes .
       Bill

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 12:18 GMT (UK) »
There was a disc of photos on sale on ebay the other day and I thought about you but was in a hurry it might be worth seeing if they are still on there as you never know....
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline CareyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 24 March 14 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,
I know very little about WWII in Malta, or how to reply on this forum for that matter, but have just been on a course staying near Dingli and thought I would pass some info on for what it is worth. The course was held at Villa Psaigon near Dingli (google maps: Psaigon, Triq IL-Buskett, Dingli, Malta) not far from and within sight of the radar station at Dingli cliffs. It is now primarily used as a youth centre. The caretaker of the building told us that it had been used by the British during the war, I think he said for intercepting German messages. The building is a very solid square fortress-like building with an inner courtyard and thick walls, it has two floors. The front entrance has big wooden coachhouse-like doors with a small door in the main door that you can climb through to enter without opening the big doors. The doors are protected with metal barred gates in front. The main room which we used had a heavy steel safe-like door. The door at the rear of the building was I think also steel, secured by pulling across heavy bolts. The caretaker told us that (in true Maltese style) there was a functioning water reservoir under the courtyard. He was very surprised that he had not found the old air-raid shelters, which he was convinced must be there somewhere. I hope this information be of some help.

Offline ninton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 24 March 14 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Dear All who were following this topic I am proud to inform you that my Book on the covered topic and more is now available from Malta's leading Bookstores.  You browse on this link:  https://www.facebook.com/events/503476083095273/?fref=ts

Thanks to rootchats and you who helped me tracing different leads to confirm many facts.

As far as Villa Psiagon I can confirm that though I still looking for official documents, a next door neighbour who is now 88 years old, told me that when he was a Admiralty Constabulary Sergeant he used to drive his Superintendent every morning to Villa Psaigon, the Super picks a sealed box with cypher messages and deliver it to Lascaris Ops Rooms.

The bases of the wooden masts to mount the antenna are still visible, one on each side of Villa Psiagon.

Offline CareyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 24 March 14 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply on Villa Psaigon. If anyone has any info on the air raid shelters there I'd love to be able to pass it on to the caretaker.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 27 October 14 09:31 GMT (UK) »
I am posting this for a new member Madliena who clicked the report to moderator button instead of the reply button.

I was a fighter plotter at H.Q MALTA SECTOR from 1956-61 radar stations reporting down to sector. 1st tas salg station s.e. of malta , type 5 radar.2nd dingli station s.w. malta type 14 , both c.h.e.l. 3rd station n.w malta type 7 high looking.
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bill247

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 29 January 15 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi its Bill 247  back again .
just to say again a huge thank you for all the assistance i received in my research of my late fathers radar unit on Malta .
Since my last time on the website which was 2012 i have found that 1 post has gone missing and that is the post from myreed which was very interesting . Mr Scrimmnet can you shed any light on this person .  I tried to PM him but it said that they could not find him. i know he was on my forum last year as he left a message for me. Any info please.
You will have read my good friend Major Tony Abelas post about his book.
this book Launch  took place at Dingli Radar Station on 29th of March last year and having as tony puts it  been his inspiration and the person who assisted him with a lot of  information for his   book i was delighted to have  been invited to attend this marvelous event.
i also made a speech as the representative of all the Radar crews who served on Malta in WW2 and my father and all the other crews were foremost in my mind at that time.
i am delighted at the responce  i had from the members and a huge thanks to you all.
Mr Scrimmnet i will be interested in your reply.
    Thanks again .
         Bill.