Author Topic: Interpreting CRS 10 Forms, - help needed!  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Interpreting CRS 10 Forms, - help needed!
« on: Saturday 12 April 14 10:19 BST (UK) »

After much searching, - I have now obtained copies of my late Uncle's CRS 10 Forms covering his Merchant Navy Service.

He was: Ernest Rencella WILSON (1897-1957).

(I have previously posted about him on here, but new info has rendered many previous posts obsolete).

His CRS 10 comprises 4 cards, - & I now have 8 scanned copies, showing both sides of the cards. Too much to post in total, but I am attaching Scan 5; which covers the WW2 period that I am particularly interested in.

I would welcome some help in deciphering the details shown on this card. Some of the writing is difficult to work out, and I'm also unsure of some of the terminology, numbering, etc.

Any help welcomed!

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Interpreting CRS 10 Forms, - help needed!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 April 14 18:03 BST (UK) »
If you could tell us what specifically you are unsure about, we may be able to help.
I don't know if you have seen this page concerning information about abbreviations.
http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/merchant-seamen-RGSS-register-abbreviations.htm
For the file numbers of the crew agreements and logbooks you need to enter the ships official number into TNA  catalogue search engine. There may be some information regarding his disappearances in the narrative pages of the relevent logbooks.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 April 14 18:19 BST (UK) »

Thanks for that seaweed, - yes, I had found the file explaining the abbreviations. And I'm guessing that the numbers after the ship's names are the ones needed to find the relevant logbooks.

It's the part following his disappearance in Gibraltar that I'm struggling with... (I'll attach a cropped version). There's also a mention of an 'adverse log report', - which presumably still exists somewhere...

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 April 14 19:15 BST (UK) »
That's the problem with forms CRS10. They were written sometimes months later by bored Board of Trade clerks very often using their own form of shorthand on a tiny form, with no space to expand.
If I am reading this correctly, my guess is he was in transit to join the "Algiers Pool" being transported on the Troopship ORION official number 164493. I know she sailed from Gibraltar 4/Aug/1943. for some reason, possibly his health, he was left behind and finally returned to the UK on the vessel TREVAYLOR o/n 167400. All this is pure conjecture and there is no way of confirming if he returned to the UK, DBS (Distressed British Seaman). It may be worth looking at the relevent logbook and C/A of TREVAYLOR just in case. There would be no record of him traveling on ORION. If indeed these were the ships.
Regarding his  'adverse log report' Yes. All 1939-1950 logbooks of British vessels are stored at Kew. search via the ships O/N. If you have not got an O/N. Try
http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsalpha.php
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 April 14 19:22 BST (UK) »

Many thanks for the informative reply seaweed, - greatly appreciated.

I think that I will have to make another visit to Kew, - to trawl the Log Books!

Cheers, Romilly :)
Researching: