Author Topic: Searching for the Parents of John Percy Harris  (Read 13637 times)

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for the Parents of John Percy Harris
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 07:56 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome Marjorie.

Indicentally, Am I correct in saying you are from the States? If so, are you aware that the guys that created the FamilySearch/IGI website have copies of most British Parish Records and Wills on microfilm and kindly make them available (for FREE  :D ) to the general public to help with their family history?

Their head office is at Salt Lake City:-

https://familysearch.org/locations/saltlakecity-library

but have Family History Centres spread all over the place and can be found from here:-

https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

I don't know what is held where but I am sure if you pop in or email your nearest centre they will be able to help you much more; they are normally a helpful bunch. Perhaps if you jumped on a greyhound and camped out at one of these centres for a day or two you would make good progress in getting solid facts about your ancestors and their families (as opposed to wading through loads of trees people post on the internet with dates and names guessed!)

Offline ~buttons~

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 08:23 GMT (UK) »
....  Following is the will as taken from Bethia:
JOHN HARRIS 1513-1554 .
John Harris, yeoman, of Hartherup, co. Gloucester, was born at least as early as 1513.  He married Anne or Annis _____, perhaps about the year 1533.  His will, dated October 22, 1533, and proved June 4, 1544, left the lease of the house in which he dwelt to his daughter Alice Winchcombe, and, if she should die before it expired, the remainder of the term was to belong to her daughter... 

My apologies for interrupting this thread but although I will admit to not having read the entire story, the above quotation does not make sense (to me anyway  :D)  Have I missed something?

If the above John Harris was born abt 1513, married abt 1533 and wrote his WILL the same year (1533) - how could he have a married daughter (Alice Winchcombe) recorded in his WILL
UNLESS
he had been previously married
BUT
to have a married daughter when he was only about 20 years old sounds rather unlikely.  :-\

???

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 09:28 GMT (UK) »
....  Following is the will as taken from Bethia:
JOHN HARRIS 1513-1554 .
John Harris, yeoman, of Hartherup, co. Gloucester, was born at least as early as 1513.  He married Anne or Annis _____, perhaps about the year 1533.  His will, dated October 22, 1533, and proved June 4, 1544, left the lease of the house in which he dwelt to his daughter Alice Winchcombe, and, if she should die before it expired, the remainder of the term was to belong to her daughter... 

My apologies for interrupting this thread but although I will admit to not having read the entire story, the above quotation does not make sense (to me anyway  :D)  Have I missed something?

If the above John Harris was born abt 1513, married abt 1533 and wrote his WILL the same year (1533) - how could he have a married daughter (Alice Winchcombe) recorded in his WILL
UNLESS
he had been previously married
BUT
to have a married daughter when he was only about 20 years old sounds rather unlikely.  :-\

???

Exactly what I raised in reply #6 !!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 07:46 GMT (UK) »
It says

"at least"

and

"perhaps"

so basically these are made up dates. The IGI and the web is full of dates people have guessed thinking it would help other people when all it does is confuse them!

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Thats why I asked if he had a copy of the Will.

Agree IGI is full of rubbish dates.

But the Will is an original source.

So if he wrote it in 1833 and refers to a married daughter, it means he was not only 20, and the birth date of 1513 is wrong ( or at least does not refer to the same John Harris who made the will).  Likewise, if the will was proved in 1544, the death date of 1554 is wrong (or does not refer to the same John Harris who made the will)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline navigator333

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 September 14 15:53 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to my tree at ancestry.com..you can 'copy and paste' the address.  This tree is for 'public view' so, you can research, to see if this is the John Percy Harris, that you are looking for. Follow the tree and copy any information, that you would want. I hope this helps! If this is the correct one, then you and I are cousins...:)  If for some reason, you cannot get into the tree, then let me know, and I will send the information, from my computer.   Please let me know, if you received this message, and if it was helpful. Drop me a line at: (*)

John Percy Harris:
    Birth 1513 in Hatherup, Gloucestershire, England
    Death 4 Jun 1554 in Hatherup, Gloucestershire, England
His Parents:

Arthur Harris
    1475 – 1537

Johanna Percy
    1505 – 1572

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/67822890/person/30190822116/media

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Chiaracelli

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 28 January 24 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Sir J P Harris is my 13th great grandfather. I don’t know who his father was but his mother was named Johanna Percy Harris.