Author Topic: CLARK and HODGES / STROUD  (Read 14977 times)

Offline Denper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CLARK and HODGES / STROUD
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 September 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My GG Grandmother is Lily Lancaster Clarke, she married John Gibbons on the 7 April 1850, they came to Australia the same year.

I had most of what is here, but I did my research many years ago and I am just getting back into it now.

Here is a bit of what I have

George Housten Clark born at sea  (Atlantic Ocean is one reference) He married Elizabeth Messant 25 Mar 1839 Saint Dunstan, Stepney, London. She died before 1871 as he then married a Jane Chambers in 1871.

I gave up with John Clark when I found he was born in Scotland LOL (Don't forget this was in the days, where many miles of travel had to be completed with poring over mostly illegible microfiche!) 

Louisa Lancaster Stroud has always puzzled me, but stating her name here as  Hodges will probably clear that up or by the look of it, make it more confusing. (I had her parents pencilled in as something else but I knew I was wrong)

I think John was named as John Stough Clarke on Lily's death certificate. (I just checked but it is not filed where it should be grrr) 

John Stroud Clark, Lilie's brother also came to Australia, he married Annie Daley 9 May 1860 in Sydney.

I have more if interested Peter.

Cheers

Denise

Offline PJCPJC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 January 12 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denise,

I have had to overcome numerous technical difficulties :'(, so please accept my apologies for an extremely late reply to your very kind assistance.

I assume the doctor completing that death certificate merely wrote what he thought he heard.  Lilly’s grandmother was indeed a STROUD, and I could be persuaded that was John’s middle name rather than Stough.  Finding the right John CLARK among Scottish records is indeed a daunting task, especially now that I am in Australia too.

If you feel like passing on any more information that would be very welcome indeed.

Very best wishes,

Peter.
OWLES (Suffolk, Norfolk), ROOK (Devon), FRENCH (E Sussex, NSW), ANDREW (Derbyshire, Gtr Manchester, Sheffield, Australia), CROUCHER (Surrey, Hampshire)

Offline Denper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

I am so sorry I missed this. I just started researching again as I am due to visit Rotherhithe next month.

The indexing is wrong with the last name being Hodges, Hodges was John Stroud's middle name. So when Louisa Lancaster Stroud signed her marriage certificate is was her correct name. There is a family bible for sale (way out of my price range) This has a lot of the family recorded.  "Louisa Lancaster Stroud, the Daughter of the of the Aforementioned, Born May 8th 1794, Twenty Eight Minutes Past vie in the Morning at No. 296 Rotherhithe Street, Rother[hithe] & Baptised 30th May at St Marys Rotherhithe by the Rev. Shearman, Godfather, Mr. Willm Lancaster Snr Godmothers Mrs. Stone and Mrs. Baldwin." Lancaster being Sarah's maiden name. John Hodges Stroud's will clears up a lot, but from a quick glance also causes a bit of confusion.

I know the area in Rotherhithe is not the same but going there will still be great.

Still happy to swap info.

Cheers

Denise