Author Topic: Another Luffman/Meatyard mystery  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Another Luffman/Meatyard mystery
« on: Thursday 06 November 14 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I believe that Betty Meatyward (1758-1809) was my 3X great grandmother. Over the years Betty lived mainly in Henstridge which was reputed to have been a wide open town! She had several illegitimate children, but does not appear to ever have claimed for any of them off the Parish. In 1777 a boy John, was baptised at Henstridge. I believe him to have been my 2xGGF John Luffman, as virtually everything else about John's subsequent life fits this birth date and place. There a two anomolies which can be accounted for. In February 1780 Betty had a son Robert baptised again at Henstridge;however, on 21st May 1780 at Baltonboro a Robert Luffman base son of Betty Luffman was baptised. There are no previous or later Luffman baptisms at Baltonboro. In view of Betty's apparent lifestyle this set me wondering. Had she been run of of Henstridge with her children? They re-appeared there later! Or was she trying to make a fresh start at Baltonboro as Betty Luffman with her family? Thoughts and particularly facts are especially welcome since I have been trying to nail this descent line down since 1996.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jusnoneed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Another Luffman/Meatyard mystery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 14 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Bit of a mystery you have there. Why would she baptise her son twice?
Baltonsborough is quite some distance away from Henstridge (about 25 miles on modern roads!) so I wonder how or why she would go there. Both villages are fairly small (even with modern built houses) now so would of been much smaller at the dates you are looking at.
Di

adding - Freereg has a George Luffman bapt at Henstridge 29 Dec 1776 parents Matthew & Elizabeth (poss Betty?)
No Robert though.
Masters, Parker, A'Court, Cary(ey), Cannon, Oram, Reynolds, Hennessy, Chislett,
Somerset
Muspratt,Pitman - Wiltshire, Dorset
Treasure - Stoke Lane & Sherborne

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Another Luffman/Meatyard mystery
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 November 14 14:47 GMT (UK) »
My guess Di, as I said above is that I think she was perhaps trying to make a fresh start; but I don't know; indeed I don't know for certain that she was my 3X great grandmother.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)