Author Topic: Photo of grave in Hawkhead Cemetery  (Read 10442 times)

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo of grave in Hawkhead Cemetery
« on: Tuesday 08 April 14 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am hoping that someone might be able to take a few photos of two headstones in Hawkhead Cemetery in Paisley, Renfrewshire.  The plot numbers are 814/815 and in section C.

Thank you all very much for all your help it is very much appreciated

Kieran

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of grave in Hawkhead Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 April 14 12:06 BST (UK) »
What are the names on the stones ..... I'll try and get over there in the next few days

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 April 14 13:26 BST (UK) »
It's a double plot with a single stone ... The following is the text from the stone -

Erected by Ellen Dorris in memory of her dear father
Patrick Slevin
Died 14th August1928 aged 78
Also her dear mother
Mary A Mcculloch
Died 25th September 1929 aged 75
Her grandmother
Margaret McKenna
Died 5th November 1908 aged 66
And her grandmother Ellen Slevin died 4th July 1891 aged 55

I will forward the photographs when I return to my computer tonight

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
     Do you know, or does anyone else know, if the Inscriptions for Hawkhead Cemetery have been published yet?    I believe Renfrewshire Family History Society were about to publish them a while ago but don't know if they ever did.     

I am hoping one day to find information about the grave of a Harold A Holmes who died there on 18 Dec 1917.      He was a qualified Doctor when he was admitted there in 1904.   He was born in Manchester in 1867.  I have his death certificate, and even his Hawkhead hospital records, which I got from the Mitchell Library, so I know he must be there in the cemetery.     I would like to know what is written on his gravestone.      Trying to discover if his family completely turned their backs on him, or if there is perhaps a decent gravestone erected by his wife, Edith Rachel Wilson. 

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
Can I ask if you know for definite that he was buried there or are you assuming because he died in Hawkhead Hospital that he is buried there?

Was he Roman Catholic?
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline kieran257

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Thank you all very much for all your help but I have now photos of the headstone that were kindly taken by Falkyrn

Thanks again for all your help

Kieran

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 June 14 07:03 BST (UK) »
    Caroline,
                   I have no certain proof that he was buried there, but I think his closest relatives were so ashamed of him being there that they hushed up his stay in Hawkhead.     He was my mother's grandfather and whenever my mother asked her mother about what happened to him, she always just said, "We don't talk about that."      My mother knew there was a mystery there but still didn't know the truth when she died in 2005.     It was only in 2010 that my sister and I discovered his death cert and saw where he'd been during the missing years from 1904 onwards.

His wife lived in Glasgow then in Gourock much of the time he was in Hawkhead but died at Manchester in 1949.     I think there is a strong possibility that he is at Hawkhead but, as I say, there is no certain proof.

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 June 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
    Caroline,
                   I have no certain proof that he was buried there, but I think his closest relatives were so ashamed of him being there that they hushed up his stay in Hawkhead.     He was my mother's grandfather and whenever my mother asked her mother about what happened to him, she always just said, "We don't talk about that."      My mother knew there was a mystery there but still didn't know the truth when she died in 2005.     It was only in 2010 that my sister and I discovered his death cert and saw where he'd been during the missing years from 1904 onwards.

His wife lived in Glasgow then in Gourock much of the time he was in Hawkhead but died at Manchester in 1949.     I think there is a strong possibility that he is at Hawkhead but, as I say, there is no certain proof.

Hawkhead hospital in Paisley ( near the cemetery) was an infectious diseases hospital. Reading between the lines and given the stigma attached to mental illness it is more likely that your man was admitted to Hawkhead Hospital in Glasgow (This hospital, a fraction of its previous size, has been known as Leverndale for a number of years). Unfortunately this makes the link with Hawkhead Cemetery a bit more tenuous. Although only a few miles from the Paisley Cemetery it is in a different County area and there is no "natural" connection between them.
~M~

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 June 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
    M.R.
             I have the death certificate and it says (clearly in typed letters) that he died at Hawkhead Asylum, Paisley.     He did have an infectious disease.     

Hawkhead Asylum in Paisley became a Glasgow Corporation hospital in 1930 and joined the NHS in 1948.      Leverendale Hospital was adopted in place of Hawkhead Asylum, Paisley in 1964.

I didn't know that Hawkhead Asylum was for infectious diseases.     My ancestor was certified insane on admission.      He was said to be insane, suicidal and dangerous.