Author Topic: Kenneth McLean who ended up in Loftus Yorkshire  (Read 18813 times)

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kenneth McLean who ended up in Loftus Yorkshire
« on: Friday 12 November 10 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me to find out about my relative Kenneth McLean who ended up in Loftus Yorkshire and married jane Wilkinson ther in 1787. I cannot find his birth record in England so now trying Scotland and think he may have originated from the inverness area but not sure.
Thanks.

Offline mistermc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kenneth McLean who ended up in Loftus Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 September 11 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hello!  This is my ancestor too and I've reached a similar wall.  Would be very interested in learning more.  Sorry this isn't an anwer to your query!

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 September 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi MisterMc,

Wow. That is great. I am related through Donald McLean who ended up in Golspie. And you??

Woodvillecaz

Offline mistermc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 September 11 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hello woodvillecaz

So you're of Donald (born circa 1847), the elder brother of Kenneth (b1849) from whom I am a descendent?  Great stuff!  I see from your posts you're in Scotland, my g'g'father (kenneth b1884) came to London from Loftus before my g'father (1914-1993) was born and we're now based in Surrey. 

I will send you a photo of our common ancestor Alexander McLean's gravestone (also Eliz. nee Jackson), his second wife I learn in Loftus, a marble one no less. 

Also I have a picture of Donald's brother, my g'g'g'father and g'g'father (both Kenneth) which I must dig out for my own tree.

I'm sure you're in posession of more information than me but according to my father (some of) the McLean records used to reside with Jessie (Donald's neice) in Harrogate until her death aged 100 in 1990s and have since apparenty disappeared unfortunately.

Do ask questions and I'll see what I have, but mainly I'm building the framework at the moment.

Cheers for now,
mistermc

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 September 11 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hello MisterMc,

Thank you for that photo and info. That is wonderful to see. This is some of the info I have..and as far back as I have got...

Kenneth McLean born 1752 to 1759 married Jane Wilkinson in 1787. I have a copy of the marriage certificate. I will photograph and send by email to you if you don't have it.
They were married in Lofthouse and he was a labourer. Someone checked and there is no record ofMcLean baptisms in Lofthouse/Loftus from 1708 to 1742. Mention on certificate a Wiliam Wilkinson. Could be her father.

Children..William born Sept 1787
               Thomas born Mar 1789
               James born Oct 1790
               Kenneth born 1792
               Mary born 1794
               Peggy born 1796
               Jane born 1798
               Alexander born 1803

Brother of Alexander, Kenneth 1792, married Ann and had Mary 1820,  Thomas 1821, Kenneth 1824, James 1823,
Jane 1827, George 1829, and William 1832.
Ebenezer Independent Church.

You may want to check these details for yourself.
There was a Kenneth McClean in prison in the 1801 Loftus census and this may have been "our" Kenneth.

Hope this helps,

Woodvillecaz.

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
Just some more info..

Alexander McLean married Margaret Elizabeth Moore who died in 1840. She was born Northallerton.
They had  Elizabeth 1833
                 Anne    1835

He then remarried Elizabeth Jackson in 1844 and had  William 1845
                                                                                     Isabella 1848
                                                                                     Donald  1847
                                                                                     Kenneth 1850

In 1828, mentioned in Teeside Archives, they were involved in the building of  a chapel or meetinghouse
Alexander McLean..Yeoman
1878 Donald McLean, land agent, and Kenneth McLean, druggist, mention of conveyance of land for chapel building...you will need to check that one out. Just seen the synopsis and not real document.

Information about Loftus in CommuniGate website under Loftus. and Alexander mentioned in list of residents.

Don't know how to find Kenneths birthplace as there is no mention anywhere of a birthplace.
On Rootschat someone had information about an McLeans of Whitby and I will send it to you by email.
Don't think I am allowed to copy the marriage certificate of Kenneth to Jane in 1787 so can't send that.

Woodvillecaz

Offline baygil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 November 11 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello woodvillecaz and MisterMc

I've just discovered all your posts on the McLean family from Loftus.  I to have links to this family down through Alexander's elder brother Kenneth born 1792. The one who married Ann Best.
However, don't build your hopes up as I'm also stuck with where the eldest Kenneth came from, although it has been suggested to me that he came from Scotland as he worked at the Alum mines belonging to the Earl of Zetland who had estates in Scotland and so I'm told brought some of the men from his estates to work the alum mines.
I have copies of the documents held at Teesside Archives mentioning Alexander, Donald and Kenneth. Also information from old newspapers on Donald McLean 1847 who was very involved in the Loftus community before moving to Golspie where he was factor for the Duke of Sutherland.
I've also got lots of info on the Whitby/Sandsend McLeans and thought that there must be a connection to the Loftus ones but have not found any link, although I've lots of information on that branch as well.
If you've any questions please ask, although the one thing I am lacking is photo's of individuals.  It would be wonderful to be able to put some faces to all the factual information I hold.
Look forward to hearing from you both
Baygil

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Baygil,

This is wonderful news. It is great to find more relatives and to get some more information. Between us we are really filling in the picture. I think you are right in saying that the original kenneth came from Scotland and so we will have to keep digging.
Will be in touch with some more information,

Woodvillecaz.

Offline mistermc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello babygil

(and hello woodvillecaz, I see you've just posted a message seconds before I posted mine!)

Thanks for getting in touch, it's very good to hear from you.

woodvillecaz and I are both descendents of Alexander b1803.  woodvillecaz is descended from his son Donald (who went to Golspie to be Factor to Duke of Sutherland) and I'm descended from Donald's brother Kenneth b 1849 who also had a hand in the Alum mines.

The Whitby /Sandsend McLeans do seem to bear some relation though exactly what isn't very clear yet.  woodvillecaz did suggest the possibility of a whaling boat which landed at Whitby and from there some may have gone inland a little to Loftus but this is only speculation at the moment.  As you suggest, the Scotland connection looks strong and Invernessshire looks like a good place to start but again, this is only based on hunches and snippets of information.  Nothing concrete unfortunately!  My dad who is retired is threatening to go to Scotland and do some digging but without something firm to go on it could be a waste of time.

My Great Uncle who is 90 in Edinburgh has sent me a photo of Donald (as Factor) from an illustrated news magazine in 1901 (from an article: Leading Agricultral Men of the North) and I also have a photo of Kenneth b1849 aged about 13 so I will let you have copies if you would like.

I'm interested in the articles you have from Teeside Archives.  If it's not too much trouble, would it be possible to have copies of your copies please??

If you are on Ancestry.co.uk then I can give you access to my tree...but if not then I can send you an image of the McLean tree we've completed so far and I've very much like to know more about your branch too.  Kenneth b1792 is one of the few  people for whom I have names of children with Ann Best but nothing more.

So where are you based?
Kind regards,
mistermc