Author Topic: Salkind Family  (Read 16027 times)

Offline jogriff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Salkind Family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 April 11 14:17 BST (UK) »
After months of staring at the computer and trying to find the origin of the name Salkind,  I have a suggestion.  There is a place in the Ukraine called Stary Krym. It is Russian for Old Crimean but the old name for it is Solkhat.   Interesting, because there is a record in Jewish Gen site, for one family called Sohlkind living in Hungary.     At first, I thought the name Salkind was of German origin due to the sound and spelling, but I suppose it is possible that in Austro-hungarian empire, it could have also become "Prussianized." There were alot of Jews resettled in Lithuania from the Crimea, having been captured in about 1300 AD. They were Karaims. Sometimes spelled qarait.  (Not the Egyptian Karaite.)  These people were not Rabbinical Jews and were more secular.
The name qaraim means "reader".   The name Salkind is often spelled with "Z" as in Zalkind, especially in the Ukraine and there are many records of them in cemeteries there. I know that my mother used to say that Philip used to insist that the name was pronounced as "salt," not as in "sally" and the "kind was pronounced as "kaynd," not as in "kindred."  She knew so much about them that I wondered why,
and I am now firmly of the belief that she was a Salkind.So many "Jewish traits in her and myself, I find I am quite glad. I am trying to find the proof that I need. x Jo of Carmarthen.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 April 11 14:52 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat ALI J and jigriff :)

Re BEARE SALKIND;
Born c 1852, Norwich, Norfolk
Birth Reg Sept 1851, Norwich, 13  *, under SALKUND B_eare and Salkund Bra
1861 Census he is under BEASE age 9 with Parents SEMON (Simon), born c 1804, London, Middlesex and HANNAH born 1817, Russia
SOLOMON born c 1839 is his Brother :)
DINAH RACHEL born c 1858 is his Sister :)

Her is the Full Census;

1861 Census
Norwich St George At Colegate, Norfolk
RG9/1211/28/11
Simon SALKIND, 57, Head, Mar, General Dealer,born London, Middlesex
Hannah, 44, Wife, Mar, born Russia
Soloman, 22, Son, Unm, Watchmaker, born North Walsham, Norfolk
Esther, 19, Daug, Unm, Sewing Machinist, born North Walsham
Saul, 17, Son, Unm, Cordwainer, born North Walsham
Samuel, 15, Son, Unm, Cordwainer, born North Walsham
David, 14, Son, Unm, Scholar,  born Norwich
Rebecca, 12, Daug, Scholar, born Norwich
BEARE, 9, Son, Scholar, born Norwich
Amelia, 5, Daug, Scholar, born Norwich
RACHAEL D, 2, Daug, born Norwich

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 April 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
1841 Census
The Butchery,
North walsham, Norfolk
HO107/784/24/North Walsham
Simon SALKIND, 40, Grocer, NOT born in County
Hannah, 25, Not born in County
Harriett, 4, Born in County
Soloman, 2, Born in County
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline beckm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 July 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
I am a descendent of the Salkind family. My mother Dorothy Salkind was the daughter of Alfred Salkind, who was the youngest son of Soloman and Eliza Salkind (nee Bell). I have traced quite a few member os the Salkind family and have found the graves of Simon Salkind and Hannah Salkind in the Jewish section of the cemetry in Norwich. I was able to discover this with the help of a member of the Synagogue in Norwich. Unfortunatly, the records of the Jewish synagogue were distroyed during the 2nd WW when the synangogue was bombed so was not able to view any records there, but they had records of the graves.
With regards to Phillip Salkind, he was my mother's uncle and I met him when I was about 12. He had an antique shop in Sheperd's Bush Road in Shepherd's Bush. I also met his wife Emma and I believe after Phillip died that she went to live with her niece for a while and then the next record we had of her was that she went to live with her son. This was strange as I only ever knew that they had one son Phillip Ivan Salkind who is buried a few graves down from my parents and grandparents grave in Mortlake cemetary.
I have also visited the street called 'The Butchery' in North Walsham where Simon and Hannah Salkind used to live in 1841 and unfortunately it is about to be pulled down (this is a small alley/ street). 
I have managed to trace Solomon and Eliza's children who survived; there were 12 of them and I can provide some information on them.
I am now trying to trace Hannah Salkind, who on different records appears to be either Russian / Polish  or Austrian which I think may have been the Prussian Empire at the time (?). I now have a copy of Solomon and Eliza Bell's marriage certificate. I would appreciate any help in trying to trace Hannah, I was always lead to believe that we went back to being an Austrian and possibly related to a Baron de Harsh (sp?) but this is only heresay from my mother.
I hope this is of interest to you.
Many thanks.

Offline bpicker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 December 13 14:40 GMT (UK) »
My maternal grandmother's maiden name is Salkind.  Her father was David Salkind and her mother was Hannah.  It's embarrassing, but I'm still trying to find out Hannah's maiden name as well as the names of the parents of David and Hannah.  They are Jewish and I believe the family came over to the United States from Russia or Lithuania in the late 1800's or the turn of the century, although I am working on this as well.  I wonder if there is any connection between the Salkind's living in England.  I am hoping to get a better idea of the family tree in the next few weeks and I will post anything I find. 

Offline beckm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi bpicker

Thanks for your message I will try and research the David Salkind connection to my branch of the family and see if I can come up with some information for you.

Regards
beckm

Offline bpicker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks beckm.  I have a little more information now. 

David Salkind was born January 5, 1886 and died on April 1, 1966.  His wife, Hannah Salkind (nee Lipschutz) was born on July 12, 1895 and died in December of 1986.  They were both born in Philadelphia and lived there.  They owned a painting contractor business (which actually painted the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco amongst other well known bridges). David had four siblings and I know the names of three of them:  Max, Bertha and Lena.  Max had two children, Esther and Hortense.  The fourth sibling whose name I don't know had a child, S. Harold Salkind.  David and Hannah had three children, Vivian, Rhea, and Annette (my maternal grandmother). 

David's parents were William Salkind (born in May of 1842, I believe in Russia) and Goldie Salkind (born in March of 1844, I believe in Russia).  I don't know Goldie's maiden name.  They were married in about 1862 and came to the United States in about 1884 and lived in Philadelphia.  They owned a successful department store in Philadelphia. 

Although probably less relevant for you, Hannah's parents were William Lipschutz and Fannie Lipshcutz (whose maiden name I believe was Rubin).  William was born about 1867, I believe in Russia.  Fannie was born about 1870, I believe in Russia.  they both arrived in the United States around 1980 and lived in Philadelphia.  They owned a general store in Philadephia.  I believe Fannie had at least two siblings, one of whom was named Louie Rubin.  I believe William had at least 4 siblings whose names I don't know.  William and Fannie had several children whose names (other than Hannah) were Jack, Anna, Ike, Samuel and Louis.

Let me know if any other info or specifics would help.

Ben

Offline JohnCourt1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 June 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
To BeckM,
It's been a long time sisnce I posted on this board (so much so that I had to reregister) (profiles merged)
Emma (or Emily) Salkind - Philip's wife, did have another son. He was my grandfather Philip Hall, who was fostered out when Emily married Philip Salkind. Emily and Philip actually had 2 more kids (Neville and Olive) but both died as infants. I remember Emily when I was very young, I saw her twice - once when she was livign with her sister in Cardif (her sister was Edith believe) and once in my grandfather's house. She was very old and frail then, and it was probably just before she died. Not sure of when that was but I assume sometime in the 1970s possibly.

For your records, Emily Salkind (nee Hall) was not actually born as Emily Hall. Her parents never married so her birth certificate shows her (and her sister and brother) as Emily Bushell - which was her mother's surname.

To all related to Philip Salkind.
As the parentage of my grandfather is often a topic of debate in my family (some believe Philip Salkind was his father and he was fostered due to being illigitimate, some, like myself, believe Philip Salkind was not his father and he was fostered because of this fact) - does anybody have a photograph of Philip Salkind at all? I believe he was a short man, but do not think I have ever seen a picture (and maybe a picture would show family remablances - or not).

I have attached a copy of a photograph of my great grandmother Emily (on the left), her sister Edith and I assume their brother George (although this could be Philip as far as I know). I have also attached a picture of my grandfather (Philip Hall).

Offline jnww

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 December 21 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Saul Salkind was my great (great?) grandfather; my grandmother was Doris Salkind - she was brought up in Cromer, Norfolk before marrying and moving to South London, where I was brought up. Saul ran a music shop at 1 St Stephen's Street, Norwich and I have one of his Accordions that still plays. My mother's cousin is alive and well aged 90 and remembers Saul and Delia. I'd be most interested to hear more about the Salkind family from any other descendants on this site.