Author Topic: Avoca O'Briens  (Read 11670 times)

Offline Avoca OBriens

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Avoca O'Briens
« on: Sunday 29 November 09 06:10 GMT (UK) »
I am just starting out with tracking back family. I am looking for the names of the 14 children of John O'Brien (born 1857) who married Elizabeth O'Reilly. My grandmother, their daughter, was Mary Jane (born March 12,1895). Siblings Lillie,Sheila and maybe James are buried in Avoca. According to my mother the other siblings are Sheila, Patrick, Julia, Martha, John. They lived on a farm near Connary, near the Motto Stone (Maybe).

The 1911 census shows them living in Tigroney and lists the father John and 9 siblings (10 out of 14 still living)

My mother is Maura Mulreany, daughter of Mary Jane O'Brien and James Joseph Mulreany(Co Mayo). She and her sister Eva used to spend holidays on the farm.

The James O'Brien headstone at the Avoca Cemetery (1885). According to my mother, James married a Bridie Horgie. The tombstone lists a Hannah O'Brien as his wife and the 1911 census lists James as born in 1890. So i am not sure i have the right James.

I would appreciate any sources of information to find family/neighbor connections or additional information on the family, going back or forward. I hope to make a visit next summer as well.

Bob

Offline penderiki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Avoca O'Briens
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 December 09 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have some details from a headstone in the Kilmagig Graveyard in Avoca which may help a little to build your family history.
The Headstone reads:
In loving memory of my dear wife Elizabeth O'Brien died 1st Nov. 1907 aged 41 years......my son John O'Brien died 25th June 1926 aged 19 years.....also my daughter Katherine (sis) Kearns died 12 Feb, 1922 aged 35 years.....John O'Brien died 24th Dec. 1938

If I find anything else, I will post again.

Best wishes,

Tom

Offline Avoca OBriens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 December 09 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tom. That was very helpful. It clears up which John O'Brien was family and identified 'Sis'.
Bob

Offline Avoca OBriens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 December 09 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Tom, with that information I was able to find a little more, review the 1901,1911 census info etc. but not sure where to go from here.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't seem to find a source for birth,marriage,death certificates on line for Wicklow County. Where did you look to get Kilmagig Cemetary information? And how does one best trace forward after the 1911 census? The hunt is certainly rewarding but don't know quite what I am up against.

And/or is it best at this point to try and pay someone familiar with Avoca to do some further digging? In that case maybe looking for a recommendation.

Offline Avoca OBriens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 January 10 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to refresh this post to see if anyone familiar with Avoca might have some new leads. thank you ahead of time

Tom, with that information I was able to find a little more, review the 1901,1911 census info etc. but not sure where to go from here.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't seem to find a source for birth,marriage,death certificates on line for Wicklow County. Where did you look to get Kilmagig Cemetary information? And how does one best trace forward after the 1911 census? The hunt is certainly rewarding but don't know quite what I am up against.

And/or is it best at this point to try and pay someone familiar with Avoca to do some further digging? In that case maybe looking for a recommendation.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 January 10 10:32 GMT (UK) »
...Anyone have any suggestions? I don't seem to find a source for birth,marriage,death certificates on line for Wicklow County..

You can search the civil index from 1864 to 1958 on familysearch at Irish Civil Index  Certs have to be ordered from the GRO (www.groireland.ie) using the index information (the cert details themselves are not available online).

..Where did you look to get Kilmagig Cemetary information?

Some memorial transcripts are available for Co. Wicklow - for example Cantwells Memorials of the Dead, but these generally focus on older pre-1900 headstones.

..And how does one best trace forward after the 1911 census?

You could try the civil index for later records, following O'Brien registrations in the district which covers the Avoca area (Rathdrum)... but with a relatively common surname it could be difficult to pick up the correct family. Another option would be to access the local paper to check for articles, birth and deaths notices etc..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline penderiki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 January 10 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This is from a headstone in the Roman Catholic Graveyard at Castlemacadam, Avoca.
Hope it might help a little more.

Best Wishes,

Tom.

In Loving Memory Of
Thomas O’Brien
“Sunrise” Tigroney
Died 17th July 1995 Agged 86 Yrs.
His Granddaughter
Mary Gallagher
Died 12th Marh 1962 Aged 13 Mths
His Wife
Margaret O”Brien
Died 1st Jan 2000 Aged 88 Years

Offline Paradise Valley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 March 10 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Goodness!!!! We are related....Did you live in Oak Park? I am the daughter of John and Beverly O'Brien and have numerous archival documents I would gladly share with you. Judy

Offline AndrewOBrien

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 April 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
I am a descendent on the O'Briens from Avoca.  My Father was John Desmond O'Brien born in Barrow-in-Furness (England) .  My Grandfather was Andrew O'Brien .  I believe his father was my grand-grandfather James O'Brien.  I found some additional information.

More About James O'BRIEN:
Residence: 1901, 20 Duddon Street, Millom, Cumberland.

More About James O'BRIEN and Rosanna CULLEN:
Marriage: 1893, Millom, Cumberland.980

Children of James O'BRIEN and Rosanna CULLEN are:
Mary A CAREY, b. Abt. 1882, Millom, Cumberland, d. date unknown.
+Elizabeth CAREY, b. 1884, Millom, Cumberland *981, d. 1962, Millom, Cumberland.
Winifred CAREY, b. 1886, Millom, Cumberland983, d. date unknown.
Kate O'BRIEN, b. Abt. 1892, Ambleside, Westmorland, d. date unknown.
Andrew O'BRIEN, b. Abt. 1899, Millom, Cumberland, d. date unknown.
William O'BRIEN, b. Abt. 1899, Millom, Cumberland, d. date unknown.

Got this from a friend in Windermere ... Rosanna Cullen came from Cleator Moor, and married Philip Carey from Ireland in 1880, hence the three Carey girls. I think there was several sons as well. Then she married James O'Brien in 1893. There were four other children in this marriage, Michie, Margaret, Rose and Mercy born between 1901 and 1911. She must have had 13 or 14 children. James O'Brien came from County Wicklow.

Also a report that Andrew O'Brien had a brother called Michael and William