Author Topic: 'Name of Ship' needed  (Read 11213 times)

Offline ezekiel

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Living in the Land Down Under '
    • View Profile
'Name of Ship' needed
« on: Saturday 13 April 13 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hello,
On  GG Grandfather Erik NYHOLM's  Adelaide Hospital record for 1881 it states that he was born Sweden and arrived on the ship 'Waydelm' and that he had been in the Colony 9yrs

On his next admission record it states that he was from Finland, arrived on the ship 'Wayenhelm' or 'Wagenhelm' ( writing harder to decipher)
and had been in the Colony 12 yrs.

I have searched the Web and Trove for ships/articles of both spellings and cannot find anything.
I have not found him on any Passenger Lists to Adelaide
It is believed that he was a ship deserter
I am in need of help working out the correct name of this ship, where it came from and its movements into SA waters/Ports

His year of arrival is consistently 1872...stated as such on his  Naturlisation documents
Am sorting through the Birthplace issue via Finnish and Swedish Parish registers

Any assistance re this ship's name etc would be so good... :)
Thank you
GOURLAY; GRAY; HALLIDAY; WILKINSON; NORRIS; AIKEN/AITKEN; SIMPSON; MAHAREY; FIFE;SUMMERTON/SUMERTON/SOMERTON; MANSFIELD; FATHERS;HARDY/HARDEY; NICKS; WILLIAMS; THOMAS; LUDLOW; SYNNETT and others.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'Name of Ship' needed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 April 13 08:25 BST (UK) »

I see there is a mention of him in this Finnish (Swedish language) paper (Hufvudstadsbladet) in 1887 http://www.loffe.net/emigration-mainmenu-59/3270-erik-johan-sundell-utvandrade-till-nya-zeeland - do you know what it says ?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 April 13 08:30 BST (UK) »
Could you post snips of the names please?

You won't find him on passenger lists to Adelaide if he was a ship's deserter.  There may be no record of the ship's arrival if it was a cargo vessel.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 April 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ezekiel,
I found this piece about him
http://sydaby.eget.net/mig/aus/adelaide.htm
I have done a bit of thinking outside the square, may not be the right answer, but here goes for what it is worth. "Wave of Life" arrived in SA in 1872 and I wondered whether he used a mix of his native tongue and English in its name. OR his accent was the problem.
My grandfather gave the name of his ship and in each case the spelling varied greatly - people's literacy skills were not great and the dialects of the English people were so varied that they had problems with each other. Let alone adding in foreigners like the Scots, Irish and then we had real foreigners  ;D
As Cando says no hope of finding a deserter on a shipping list - you may find them on a crew list if it was a Passenger ship.
But do try thinking outside the square occasionally - It isn't always the right answer BUT you can't always follow the straight line when doing family history. Trust me I have found too many right answers by asking What if?
Cheers
mabeljessie
McConnell, Lee, Thompson, Flower,
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 April 13 09:59 BST (UK) »
Wow, ShaunJ and mabeljessie! What fantastic finds :-)

I was thinking 'Wagenheim' for the ship but only got names of people coming up; Wave of Life, sounds so much more likely! And Shaun,  how did you find that  ;D

Wiki page for his grandson, says Erik was from Nykarleby, Swedish speaking part of Finland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Sydney_Nyholm
Talks about the pride the grandson had for his Finnish roots and even had connections there in his career!

Another source says he was from Ostrobothnia
http://sydaby.eget.net/mig/aus/adelaide.htm

Nykarleby is in the  Ostrobothnia region where around 89% of the people are swedish speaking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nykarleby

An item on Trove, says Erik posted a letter to a small Finnish town in Aug 1875. The letter was returned to him 8yrs, one mth and 11 days later - having been to 6 location in Russia, in Venice and in 1878 to where it was addressed!

A native speaker will arrive I'm sure but....patience not good  ;D  ;D

The title of the piece is:
Österbottniske unvandrare
Ostrobothnia (Lit:East Bothnia)  Emigrants

Where Erik is mentioned at the end, it's in a summary of the people mentioned earlier. Nyholm torde wal åldrig någonsin återvända till hemlandet.
Nyholm probably ----   never arrived home. 

I think possibly meaning, having left, he probably would never have come back to  Ostrobothnia.

Cheers
AMBLY
playing in:
http://swedish.typeit.org/
http://translate.google.com/

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 April 13 10:00 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of Erik Nyholm's on ancestry's Swedish emigration database, but unfortunately I don't have access to them.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 April 13 10:32 BST (UK) »
The first paragraph ends in referal to emigrants to New Zealand (still is!)  and New Holland ( aka Australia)

Next para  it speaks of Erik John GUNDELL - who went to NZ.

Third para, is about Erik NYHOLM
First emigration to the Australian mainland (= New Holland) joined thus :
(His taking part in the emigration to Australia came about this way) ?
A poor (Broke?), father and motherless youth from the same parish  - Erik Nyholm - made his way to Sweden  for work. There  he took the lease on (or signed onto) a vessel in Härnösand (in order to get to Australia).

Cheers
AMBLY
with Danish ancestry (ie; poring over Danish OPRs), can speak a bit of german and some words in Swedish are similar to look at  8)  :P
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 April 13 10:58 BST (UK) »

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 April 13 11:00 BST (UK) »
Derstädes is an archaic spelling of därstädes (= there).