Author Topic: Convict Brothers Thompson  (Read 1261 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Convict Brothers Thompson
« on: Tuesday 09 September 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there  :)
I believe I have found three convict brothers transported named Thompson and would like to find out what happened to them in Australia and if any of them returned to England, though I know the large majority of convicts did not return. There is also the possibility that a sister or even two sisters ! went out to Australia,  though under what circumstances I am not sure
8th Dec
St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Francis Thompson - a Mariner, Parish of Liverpool
Jane Dewick - Widow, same Parish
Married by Banns
(Jane was born Jane Wright, in Lancashire)
Children baptised Liverpool. Fathers occupation - mariner or rigger
Hannah

23rd Sept
St Nicholas
Richard

23rd April
St Peter
Esther

4th Sept
St Peter
Mary

18th April
St Peter
Jane

18th Dec
St Peter
Francis

20th April
St Peter
Edward

12th July
St peter
Rachael

29th July
St Peter

From List of 280 male convicts , by the ship Asia, New South Wales . Arrived from England 3rd Dec ,1837
Next to each other on list, with notation that they are brothers . Both tried at Lancaster, (Liverpool Quarter Sessions)  1837
(Edward spent time on the hulk Ganneymede, moored at Chatham and Woolwich ,  before transportation)
Edward Thompson age 20- R&W, - Protestant, Native place- Liverpool-Trade- labourer - Offence - stealing clothes, Sentence - 7 years (sentenced 28th Feb 1837)
Frank Thompson age 21 , R&W none, Protestant, Native place - Liverpool- Trade - Labourer - Offence - stealing two pistols , Sentence - 14 years (sentenced 10th April 1837).
Includes descriptions for them both , dark, sallow, hazel eyes and also numerous tattoos.

Earlier in 1830,  I believe the older brother Richard was probably the Richard Thompson transported on the ship Persian. It arrived Van Diemens Land 26th Feb 1831.
He had been tried at Lancaster (Liverpool Sessions) . Date convicted 26th April 1830- Larceny (stealing pair of stirrups? and shawl). Age 19 - Sentence - Life
He spent time on the hulk Dolphin, moored at Chatham, prior to being transported . Native place - Liverpool

Offline franh1946

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Convict Brothers Thompson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 03:45 BST (UK) »
Frank and Edward appear on the NSW State Records Convict Index which gives details of the granting of their Tickets of Leave. You can get a copy of the citation; I'm afraid I don't know what details are in that record, but someone here will know. Fran
Leadbetter North Meols
Tyrrell  and Shettle Hampshire
Cope Wolstanton
Rice New York and Sydney
Pidgeon County Wexford
Smail and Cochran Berwickshire
Worling and Harrop Cambridgeshire
Happ Eltville
Harrop and Shettle Suffolk

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 04:01 BST (UK) »
SRNSW:
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online

Edward:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/019z0/

Frank:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/019z1/

If you have access to Ancestry you will find images of their records online.

Offline Noells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 September 14 04:00 BST (UK) »
Are you aware of a web site here in Oz - trove.nla.gov.au/newspapers ?

These are all the early Newspapers which are being digitised and it is a wonderful research tool.

I looked up Edward Thompson using the dates supplied by the other Rootschatters and because one of the details about his Ticket of Leave was issued by the Patrick Plains Bench I thought there was the possibility that this is your Edward Thompson mentioned as a witness to a Murder near Patricks Plains. No way of proving it is your Edward of course.

Trial took place on September 15th, 1843. I have attached a clip of part of the trial, but you may like to read the whole thing, if so it is headed Assize Maitland Circuit Court September 15, 1843

I hope it is OK to attach the Image. If not one of the Mods will let me know and I can send you a pm.

Noells

Anderson,Fry,Poad, Fort, -England, Australia
McCulloch - Scotland, Australia
O'Shea, Shea, Egan - Ireland, Australia
Sternberg - Germany

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 September 14 07:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for all this info and thanks for taking the time uploading the newspaper report Noells.